C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

All-Season tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:49 AM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All-Season tires

Hell guys, I am planning on buying a new c7 z06 within the next year or so. I would love to save up and get a z06 however my main issue is the tires. This would be my daily driver so I have searched all around and only found the summer tires or the winter tires but nothing in-between.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ut-issues.html

I know currently there is no OEM size all season tire being produced however I do see that Continental produces an all season which I l love in a 315/35-20.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...06XL&tab=Sizes

Would this fit on the stock rims? If not are there any other all season tire solutions? Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM
bryan55
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Continetal extreme contact in stock sizes. Seems to be a solid all season tire so far.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bryan55
I have the Continetal extreme contact in stock sizes. Seems to be a solid all season tire so far.
The extreme contacts are actually strictly just a summer tire, thanks for the feed back on these tires though!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Coupe
Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
bryan55
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a summer tire, they do well in rain. And when I drove it home from Seattle there was a little snow. No problems.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I know this is off topic but I cannot comprehend why one would purchase a 650hp car and then put all seasons on it. I also drive mine daily but put winters for the winter and stock tires for the summer. The all seasons are always a compromise and you will never get the performance you purchased. Good luck with the new car!

fwiw scottozeros are amazing winter tires.

Last edited by phantasms; 03-26-2017 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DarkBeam (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 01:54 PM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by phantasms
I know this is off topic but I cannot comprehend why one would purchase a 650hp car and then put all seasons on it. I also drive mine daily but put winters for the winter and stock tires for the summer. The all seasons are always a compromise and you will never get the performance you purchased. Good luck with the new car!

I think this is going to be my best bet, I live in Virginia so its pretty rare for us to get snow here but the temperatures do drop so never really needed snow tires. Just a quick question for you. Do you still get traction on first gear pulls on winter tires in the cold? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkBeam
I think this is going to be my best bet, I live in Virginia so its pretty rare for us to get snow here but the temperatures do drop so never really needed snow tires. Just a quick question for you. Do you still get traction on first gear pulls on winter tires in the cold? Thanks for the feedback.
Um... you don't get traction on first gear pulls on drag slicks in the cold, so fuggegaboudit with winter tires.

Running winter tires is a way to get from point A to point B in the winter without hitting too many point Cs. It's not a way to harness a 650hp car for winter driving.

Running Conti DWS or similar will be far better than the MPSS, but it won't turn it into a Range Rover.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Hell guys, I am planning on buying a new c7 z06 within the next year or so. I would love to save up and get a z06 however my main issue is the tires. This would be my daily driver so I have searched all around and only found the summer tires or the winter tires but nothing in-between.
Depending on where you live the standard MPSS tires are at least a 3 season tire and in large areas of the country are all season tires. The Cup2 tires have issues with tread cracking if driven or moved in ambient temps at or below 20 degrees.

They may have less grip at temps in the 40s and below but they still grip sufficiently for you to drive normally. Try hammering the throttle with the low rpm high torque engine in the Z06 and you will blow the rear tires away so knowing how to drive properly is a requirement.

Bill
george vee (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

When do you usually change tires? Late Oct and mid April?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

There have been rumors that a couple of all-season tires may become available in Z06 tire sizes, this year. I hope the rumors are true. I have an extra set of wheels in my garage, waiting for all-season tires.
I have the Michelin A/S 3 Plus tires I've ran on my BMW 335i for the past couple of years and would love to have those available for my Z06.

Last edited by RobWilson; 03-26-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

I really hope you know what you're getting yourself into using a new Z06 in the snowy weather. Not only will the car get chipped up from winter snow/ice materials put on the road by the snow removal wizards, your car has nothing good about it in the snow. Low weight, very low ground pressure tires and high torque. It's really a perilous move IMO. Make sure you have both a very good auto insurance and life insurance policy....very good chance you'll need one or both.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:36 PM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RobWilson
There have been rumors that a couple of all-season tires may become available in Z06 tire sizes, this year. I hope the rumors are true. I have an extra set of wheels in my garage, waiting for all-season tires.
I have the Michelin A/S 3 Plus tires I've ran on my BMW 335i for the past couple of years and would love to have those available for my Z06.
I sure hope so! Been reading posts about the all seasons for the past year. I've sent Michelin an email about it today and hopefully I get an response. I'll post here if I hear back.
RobWilson (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:40 PM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I really hope you know what you're getting yourself into using a new Z06 in the snowy weather. Not only will the car get chipped up from winter snow/ice materials put on the road by the snow removal wizards, your car has nothing good about it in the snow. Low weight, very low ground pressure tires and high torque. It's really a perilous move IMO. Make sure you have both a very good auto insurance and life insurance policy....very good chance you'll need one or both.
I actually work as an insurance agent so rest assure I got that covered. Not the first time taking a high torque car in the cold. As previously mentioned in my area its rare we get snow but I do want to make sure I have traction through out the year. I appreciate the concern.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:02 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
I'll probably throw my summers back on in a couple weeks. I put the winters on whenever we're expecting the first dump of snow. FWIW the car lives in a heated garage so no real worries about cracking the tires.

Originally Posted by tzoid9
This is my third winter with the Z07 and I have ~37k miles on it. With the right tires the car performs flawlessly in the snow. In fact much better than my new 4WD Tahoe did with it's all seasons. Tahoe now has Blizzacks. As long as one knows what they're doing, as the OP says he does, it's not a problem at all. If worried about rock chips best never to drive the car.

See below...

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Um... you don't get traction on first gear pulls on drag slicks in the cold, so fuggegaboudit with winter tires.

Running winter tires is a way to get from point A to point B in the winter without hitting too many point Cs. It's not a way to harness a 650hp car for winter driving.

Running Conti DWS or similar will be far better than the MPSS, but it won't turn it into a Range Rover.
I know almost no one will believe this but with my winter tires I can punch it at 0 degrees or colder and the car hooks and takes off. I, overall, get more traction with my winter tires in the winter than the summer tires in the summer. I sh|t you not. The thing hooks so good I'm tempted to take it to the strip on the winters. I can absolutely hammer the car in negative degrees and it goes....just need to watch for ice of course. If anyone doesn't believe this feel free to come visit for a ride one cold night. The only negative is the very slight loss of steering feel which you get used to right away. Then when you out the summer's back on the car feels telepathic again. FWIW it can also turn over 1G in negative weather.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 03-26-2017 at 03:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by phantasms:
Amontekong (03-28-2017), DarkBeam (03-26-2017), george vee (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 PM
DarkBeam
Heel & Toe

I'll probably throw my summers back on in a couple weeks. I put the winters on whenever we're expecting the first dump of snow. FWIW the car lives in a heated garage so no real worries about cracking the tires.

This is my third winter with the Z07 and I have ~37k miles on it. With the right tires the car performs flawlessly in the snow. In fact much better than my new 4WD Tahoe did with it's all seasons. Tahoe now has Blizzacks. As long as one knows what they're doing, as the OP says he does, it's not a problem at all. If worried about rock chips best never to drive the car.

See below...

I know almost no one will believe this but with my winter tires I can punch it at 0 degrees or colder and the car hooks and takes off. I, overall, get more traction with my winter tires in the winter than the summer tires in the summer. I sh|t you not. The thing hooks so good I'm tempted to take it to the strip on the winters. I can absolutely hammer the car in negative degrees and it goes....just need to watch for ice of course. If anyone doesn't believe this feel free to come visit for a ride one cold night. The only negative is the very slight loss of steering feel which you get used to right away. Then when you out the summer's back on the car feels telepathic again. FWIW it can also turn over 1G in negative weather.

Best,
Gene
Thank you so much for all the information. You have been extremely helpful! I definitely appreciate it. Cheers man
phantasms (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 PM
BHANSON
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have snow tires on my Z06 and find that the traction in cold weather is fantastic. The only issue is Pirelli only has a 305 for the rear but it fits the rim OK. Dealer won't install because rim 1/2 inch too wide for the rear. Traction appears to be better than stock tires when temp is below 80 degrees. Highly recommend them. And they are quiet non run flats!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

The Best way to go is to move to a place where you can drive the car all year round. Tires become a non-issue. So says the guy from Phoenix.

Get notified of new replies

To All-Season tires

Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Not who you asked the question of but on all my previous cars I have swapped to winter tires in late October/early November and then back to summers in early to mid April. I just got my Corvette but I plan on the same schedule next winter.

Winter tires make a tremendous difference when the temperatures get cold. If you live someplace where temps can dip into the 20's and you want to drive the car I'd definitely do winter/summer tires vs. all seasons.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by rangda
Not who you asked the question of but on all my previous cars I have swapped to winter tires in late October/early November and then back to summers in early to mid April. I just got my Corvette but I plan on the same schedule next winter.

Winter tires make a tremendous difference when the temperatures get cold. If you live someplace where temps can dip into the 20's and you want to drive the car I'd definitely do winter/summer tires vs. all seasons.
Thanks. Michelin now makes winters in our correct Z06 sizes BTW. They came out just a couple months ago. Long after most already needed to put winters on for this past winter season.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks. Michelin now makes winters in our correct Z06 sizes BTW.
I've heard the Sottozero is a better tire than the Michelin but I have no first hand experience with either tire. A quick check of Tire Rack is not showing any winter tires available in Z06/Grand Sport sizes. Annoyingly they don't even show the Sottozero's (no alternative fitments are shown at all) even though Luke @ TireRack has sold several sets.

Note that if you plan on driving in the snow at all then going with narrower tires is actually better. The decreased contact patch will give you a bit more traction in the snow. If you're just looking to drive in cold weather then original size tires will be more desirable.

Quick Reply: All-Season tires