Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Looking to borrow some tools.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Looking to borrow some tools.

I'm almost ready to separate the body from the frame and was wondering if any has the following tools or equipment I can borrow. For those that suggest I purchase them, first off I'm no longer going to purchase any more tool that I will never use again and I have no interest in purchasing yet another tool box even though my present ones are overloaded. Believe it or not, I've come to a point in life where I just don't have any more room to store or purchase more tools.

Body lift straps which I only need for one day.
Body dolly which I may need to borrow for about 2 months.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey frank unfortunately both of those tools i lack otherwise i would have no problem lending you. A member like you i am sure someone will come forward. GL
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You keep all your tools in a tool box(es) ?? LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Frank I have NO tools but I do have two hands and energy. let me know when and I'll be there to help if needed. Or maybe just for comic relief.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi Frank, the only guy that I know who has a dolly is using it right now. He (and many on he C3 forum) have made their own. I think that there was a thread awhile ago about how to make one. I will ask him about using the straps. When do you need everything?
Quik, that was funny and so true. I've been trying to round my tools up since June as the neighbourhood for yrs decided that there was no point in renting when they could just walk in and out of my garage with whatever they needed. If it wasn't there they'd lv a note asking who has it and can I get it back.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Hey frank unfortunately both of those tools i lack otherwise i would have no problem lending you. A member like you i am sure someone will come forward. GL
I appreciate your reply and I know you would if you had what I needed. Hopefully others will chime in and have what I need.

Originally Posted by QIK59
You keep all your tools in a tool box(es) ?? LOL
Am I to assume you have a better solution for organization?

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Hey Frank I have NO tools but I do have two hands and energy. let me know when and I'll be there to help if needed. Or maybe just for comic relief.
Thanks Mike, but the next time you come over is for liquid libation, and the most energy I would require is for you and Valerie to drive over here. I still owe you both...

Originally Posted by gdh
Hi Frank, the only guy that I know who has a dolly is using it right now. He (and many on he C3 forum) have made their own. I think that there was a thread awhile ago about how to make one. I will ask him about using the straps. When do you need everything?
I have the casters needed so it's just a matter of purchasing the wood, but I don't see any reason to build one, then take it apart afterwords since I don't have the space to store it if someone already has one. I'm in no hurry to find one, my other option would have been to store the body about 7 feet high from the garage rafters but I already have about 1000 lbs up there and adding another......say 800 lbs doesn't make much sense, so that's my last resort.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...Body_Dolly.pdf

I have a chain pull so that was my method of lifting the chasis.

Again, if anyone has either one of these I'd appreciate a reply as this project is on hold. And for the record, I'm on no deadline if they should come available in the future........please let me know as I have many other projects I can work on in the meantime......non car related.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
Quik, that was funny and so true. I've been trying to round my tools up since June as the neighbourhood for yrs decided that there was no point in renting when they could just walk in and out of my garage with whatever they needed. If it wasn't there they'd lv a note asking who has it and can I get it back.
The dolly "pictured" in the post would be okay for rolling a body around on a smooth and flat concrete floor.
I would expect to be able to roll the body in and out of the garage to store outside, power wash etc.
The ones my friends used to build were on long 2x10 or larger timbers that actually served as a frame.

No I avoid lending tools - I use or require my tools on very short notice.
(Glad I had girls not boys - might have been trouble LOL)
If we were all destitute would be a different story ; I figure - "you need it , you buy it".
I do not have granite counters, dish washers and electronic gee gaws of every kind, I try to be self sufficient.
If you can afford that non essential $H#* - you can afford to buy tools.
Wonder how many offers I'd get if I asked to borrow a stereo set-up because I wanted to have a party LOL
I on occasion will lend or borrow but after a couple of times sense of pride says buy your own !

Frank the joke was if you can keep all your tools in tool boxes you mustn't have many tools LOL

I wouldn't even think of trying to store my tools in tool boxes - no point to it in your own premises.
I have pegboards and mechanic's top boxes in my basement shop and garage as well as as well as travelling tool boxes in all our cars.
I'm not one for roll cabs - I ain't going anywhere and don't have the space to waste.

Last edited by QIK59; 08-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Frank, I have a set of body lift straps you are welcome to borrow.

I made my body dolly very similar to those plans, worked great. Unfortunately (for you) I broke it down once I was done with it. Pretty cheap to make using 4x4 and 2x4 wood.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QIK59
Frank the joke was if you can keep all your tools in tool boxes you mustn't have many tools LOL
In all the years that I've been a member of any forum I've never felt the need to post the amount of tools I have, but for some reason I feel you need to decide for yourself.

EDIT:
I've deleted the photos as i don't believe it adds value to this thread.

In conclusion, at this point in my life, I don't believe I need more tools that I will only need once but then, I already stated that in my original post.
Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Bruce, thank you, I'll keep you in mind and may take you up on your offer if I don't find someone closer.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built one from that drawing too.... but again I tore it down once I was done as nobody wanted it or needed it at that time.

It wasn't expensive and I have used the wood up over the years for other projects around the house. I didn't buy 4x4's I just screwed a couple of 2x4's together. I also only used the scrap plywood I had hanging around... so all the reinforcements were not done.

It is a stout unit. I moved my body on it in a landscaping trailer when I moved to my new house and it made it no problem!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Mike, but the next time you come over is for liquid libation, and the most energy I would require is for you and Valerie to drive over here. I still owe you both...

Then comic relief it is!

Let me know if you want those straps from Bruce, I go to Durham all the time to visit my grandson, wouldn't be a problem to pick them up and deliver them. In fact would be a pleasure.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
In all the years that I've been a member of any forum I've never felt the need to post the amount of tools I have, but for some reason I feel you need to decide for yourself.

EDIT:
I've deleted the photos as i don't believe it adds value to this thread.
We need a "Don't Feed The Troll" smiley. And no I'm not talking about you Frank.

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

I made my body dolly very similar to those plans, worked great. Unfortunately (for you) I broke it down once I was done with it. Pretty cheap to make using 4x4 and 2x4 wood.

In conclusion, at this point in my life, I don't believe I need more tools that I will only need once but then, I already stated that in my original post. Bruce, thank you, I'll keep you in mind and may take you up on your offer if I don't find someone closer.
Hey Bruce, Frank, I can act as an intermediary since I'm kinda half way. I can pickup from Bruce and Frank you can come out to one of my Friday meets and I can pass them on. Up to you guys but the offer is there.

Stan.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Frank, can't help you much with tools, But if you ever want to have another work day at your place, I'm always available.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by OBSESHON Mark
Hey Frank, can't help you much with tools, But if you ever want to have another work day at your place, I'm always available.
Im in
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...io-canada.html
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I can act as an intermediary since I'm kinda half way. Stan.
Thanks Stan I'll keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by OBSESHON Mark
lol, I never really accomplished anything that last time, but now, I have to seperate the body from the frame and I'm not play'in around this time. Thanks I'll keep your offer in mind.
Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Im in
Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind.
I appreciate the heads up Dodo, but I don't want to purchase......as mentioned in my original post.
anyone have the following tools or equipment I can borrow. For those that suggest I purchase them, first off I'm no longer going to purchase any more tool that I will never use again and I have no interest in purchasing yet another tool box even though my present ones are overloaded. Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Use the 3" tie down straps from Home Depot. They can be used later for other stuff. I put my body on my small 4' X 6' trailer and could roll it anywhere I wanted. Yeah, it stuck out the back some but never hurt a thing. Just a suggestion

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to borrow some tools.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 AM
1971Coupe
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Frank, I'm shocked at this thread, good to hear you are going to get back to work on your C3.

The only tool I have is a corkscrew, but I will be there to help if needed.

So, when do you expect to have it all back together and running, next summer?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1971Coupe
Frank, I'm shocked at this thread, good to hear you are going to get back to work on your C3.

The only tool I have is a corkscrew, but I will be there to help if needed.

Don't put pressure on the guy or it'll be another 22 years!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MasterDave
Use the 3" tie down straps from Home Depot.
Thanks for the info, but I believe I found a set of straps from a fellow member.
Originally Posted by 1971Coupe
Since I don't like working in the cold and I'm usually working on more than one project at once, your guess is as good as mine. In other words I have no set date.
Originally Posted by AGVI
Don't put pressure on the guy or it'll be another 22 years!

You got that right.

Conclusion, I've sent Bruce a pm taking him up on his generous offer and would appreciate if someone can tag team the straps to me somehow or I can meet up somewher. In the meantime it would appear I'm going to building my own dollie.

Quick Reply: Looking to borrow some tools.