Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Handling heavy oxidation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling heavy oxidation

Single stage paint jobs oxidize, base coat/clear coat paint jobs do not oxidize, in the sense you have pigmented paint losing color.

Even though this is not a Vette, many of you own single stage Vettes and perhaps you wish to revive your dead and faded paint.

I used two pads and one polish to revive this badly oxidized 1997 Guards Red C4S. The polish I used is the new Optimum Polish. This is a spectrum polish, meaning that it can be used with a wool pad to remove sanding marks and then used again with a polishing pad to remove swirls and then a final finishing pad to produce a flawless finish that's ready to wax.

Our first step was using a high speed polisher and a Optimum black wool final cut pad. I began onn one side while my partner Ron began the other. We buffed at 1700 rpm's, spurring our pads after every panel because of paint build up on the pads.

Our second polishing step was again with Optimum Polish and Optimum's black foam finishing pad at about 1400 rpm's. We then laid down some paste wax from Gliptone and then topped it all off with Optimum Spray Wax.

Here are some BEFORE pics.

You can see here from this picture just how dull and faded the paint is on this Porsche. We had nothing but rain and overcast skies today so I apologize if the pictures are bad.

Now here is the hood, the right half untouched and the left half buffed out with the Optimum Polish and the black wool pad.

I may have gotten nice results also with a PC or another DA polisher but what the rotary is able to do is "burnish" the paint because of the heat and friction it produces. Now many of you may be scared to try a rotary but you shouldn't. Once you get some practice under your belt you'll wonder why you waited so long.

The new Optimum Polish will actually help you to NOT burn your paint as it is designed to run cool because of its high lubrication properties.

Now here is the hood after being polished and then sealed.

Here is that dull and faded fender

More AFTER's

If you have any questions on how to get these same results I'll be glad to help you out if I can.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

What a difference! Great work.
What was the customer's reaction?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
What a difference! Great work.
What was the customer's reaction?
Um.....can't repat that here but it went something like....."It looks *&$#!*@# awesome!"

Thanks for the compliments

Anthony
Old 05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
bretfraz
Racer

This thread brought to you by Optimum Polymer Technologies.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:40 PM
ImpySS96
Advanced

Originally Posted by bretfraz

Nice job Anthony, always enjoy looking at your work.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:39 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

That was a really huge improvement! The left and right side of the hood was stunning. The wax added a badly needed clear coat.

A lot of work on your part too I might add.

Dan
Old 05-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Thank you for the kind words.

Polishing the car was really odd as we ran into single stage paint on al parts of the car but the side view mirros.....go figure!

The Gliptone paste wax is some pretty mice stuff and I think it only costs like $10 for a huge tub. I think you can find it at auto part stores on the East coast. They have a very nice and very slick quick detailer also, I think its called Body Gloss?

Thanks again,
Anthony
Old 05-12-2005, 07:41 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bretfraz
I have also heard very nice things about the polish, and looking forward to trying it soon. I hope they will consider adding some more gloss additives to the spray wax in the near future, as it is darn easy to use but not quite as reflective and glossy and I personally prefer. There clay bar is seriously at a great price point, and the tire protectant puts out a nice and beautiful satin sheen. Luckily we carry the line, and forum discount applies.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-wax.html

And Anthony beautiful work as usual, I think you could make anything look good with any product
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great finish , as always Anthony
Old 05-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work
Old 05-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Thanks again for the kind words

killrwheels -

Thank you also and my wife would like it if I could make the lawn look somewhat decent

I am sure you will enjoy working with the Optimum Polish, as well as the optimum Compund coming soon. Are you referring to the Tire Gel or the Tire Shine?

I prefer the Tire Shine as it gives a great finish with no tire sling. The Tire Gel though is great for a busy detail shop where they need to get cars dressed and out in a hurry.

Thanks again to all and take care,
Anthony
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Thanks again for the kind words

killrwheels -

Thank you also and my wife would like it if I could make the lawn look somewhat decent

I am sure you will enjoy working with the Optimum Polish, as well as the optimum Compund coming soon. Are you referring to the Tire Gel or the Tire Shine?

I prefer the Tire Shine as it gives a great finish with no tire sling. The Tire Gel though is great for a busy detail shop where they need to get cars dressed and out in a hurry.

Thanks again to all and take care,
Anthony
Anthony thanks for the heads up on the Tire Gel and the Compound. This line is fast increasing in size, and really priced right for the detail shop, hobbist, and even extreme detailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling heavy oxidation

Quick Reply: Handling heavy oxidation