Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is one brand really better than another?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is one brand really better than another?

So I have decided to clay bar followed by a polish then a sealant/wax. Is one brand really that much better than another. I will probably either use meguiars or mothers, but would like some inputs.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
So I have decided to clay bar followed by a polish then a sealant/wax. Is one brand really that much better than another. I will probably either use meguiars or mothers, but would like some inputs.

YES,,,your choices are good choices, but nothing beats Zaino's.. but that is just my opinion. You will get as many of those, opinions as there are Az??hls.....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone has their favorites...that work best for their needs/wants.

What are you looking for in a sealant/wax?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZaneO
What are you looking for in a sealant/wax?

Isn't the purpose of the sealant or wax to protect the finish once it is polished? I am new at this so forgive my ignorance.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Isn't the purpose of the sealant or wax to protect the finish once it is polished? I am new at this so forgive my ignorance.
Yes, that is their purpose, but different ones have different attributes (ie. durability, appearance, etc.).
Old 07-25-2005, 11:00 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

I guess I am looking for a deep glossy shine with some pretty good durability. I only want to do this a couple of times a year.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

A couple of times a year is going to require a very durable product...Zaino, Klasse, Collinite, etc.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Believe the hype

yes there is a difference but a VERY VERY SMALL ONE, if you're discussing the top products (whose names you see in here all the time). If you don't rearrange the bristles on your toothbrush each time you use it, then this small difference in waxes may not be worth the effort. But then you'd probably not be hanging out in this forum either.

If you don't have any pre-existing preferences, seriously start with Zaino. you don't have to buy lots of stuff and you don't have to take all day to apply zaino. See my thread in this forum HERE for my experience.

My problem is having to overcome decades of good experience with Meguiars in order to give Zaino a shot in the first place. With an open mind, I really think it is easier, with superior results. Costs at least twice as much , so that is the drawback, but shouldn't be a concern for anyone with a Vette.

To be fair, many many products give excellent results that are all pretty similar - so there's nothing wrong with using Wolfgang, Klasse, Meguiars, whatever. I think the koolaid-drinking mentality of ZAINO in here is what actually prevented me from using it for a long time.

So take it from a nonbeliever - you'll be better off starting with Zaino. Because you'll be so happy with the results, you won't wander from product to product and fill the garage with all these bottles of stuff like I have.

Last edited by bugman; 07-26-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
01MY74CvGray
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

I have been more than satisfied with Griots, Pinnacle and Wolfgang products. For me, it is simply a matter of past experience, ease of application and time to apply. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:05 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused

Best wax or Sealant:
There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering.

a) For depth of shine and clarity-a Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants.

b) For an optically perfect shine- for long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface and add a Carnauba wax as a (LSP) last step product (See also Optically perfect shine).

c) The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you. (See also Product Choices)

It really is all dependants upon; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. Ultimately the best wax will prove to be the one that best meets its user's objectives.
JonM
Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Just find something you are happy with and stick with it.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I think somewhere on the Meguiars web site, it says
"find something you like and use it often"
I'm pretty sure that's where I read it -- words of wisdom.
And man, I love reading TOGWT's posts -- definitely one of the top gurus here. Heed his words, grasshopper
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 AM
95ZR1#418
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
I think somewhere on the Meguiars web site, it says
"find something you like and use it often"
I'm pretty sure that's where I read it -- words of wisdom.
And man, I love reading TOGWT's posts -- definitely one of the top gurus here. Heed his words, grasshopper

"Grasshopper" haven't heard that in awhile...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Haaa-- you've got to be damn old to remember that show.
like me
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is one brand really that much better than another.
Absolutely!! Unfortunately, which brand that is depends on what type of product you mean, and what person you ask.

The plus side is that there are lots more good products out there than there are crap ones. So your odds of getting something good are pretty high. You probably won't know what brand of any given type of product is the one for you until you try one or two and get a feel for what you like for a product.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:08 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

It seems that there are many opinions on this and like was said above, pick one and try it. I have decided to try Meguiars and see how it goes. I will use the clay bar followed by a cleaner then a polish then a wax. I might give the new NXT a try. Will post some before, during and after pics.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:35 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Meguiars is an excellent choice - they have several different lines of stuff to choose from. They have the advantage of being inexpensive and easily available at Walmart and Autozone stores. Good stuff.

The NXT does an excellent job -- just make sure you give it PLENTY of time to dry before you go to wipe it off, and apply in THIN -- the people who complain it is difficult usually are just using too much, and not letting it dry enough. Depending on humidity, you might want to wait 1/2 hour or even longer before wiping it off. Good luck !

And the Meguiars quick detailer is then a must -- to wipe off fresh dirt and bird crap etc, without having to wash the whole car again.

Get notified of new replies

To Is one brand really better than another?

Quick Reply: Is one brand really better than another?