Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Car Care Discussion
Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette Sponsored by
Auto Geek

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Rich_71Vette
CF Senior Member

Default Clay Bar Question

I got my first Vette, a 1971 bib block coupe, in November and am getting ready to detail for the first time next week. I got my Porter Cable and Menzerna based on recommendations from the list. I plan to use Megs 26 since I already have it and the previous owner of the car liked it. I am going to try the Turtle Wax Ice on the chrome. I will also try the Ice over the unfinished aluminum wheels after polishing them with either Mother's PowerMetal cleaner or Mother's Mag Polish. I might try the Power Ball on the wheels since it seems some have had luck with it.

I am not sure what clay to use. I saw the local Pep Boys has Mother's and Megs clay kits. They are both priced about the same and the Megs has a MF towel and a bit more clay. Is there any difference in these or any other clays?

I searched the forum and did not come across any comments regarding brands of clay.

Last edited by Rich_71Vette; 04-06-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Rich_71Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Killrwheels@Autogeek
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Most clays are considered to be very similar. Some hobby clay is sold is coarser versions and might not be the best choice. Look for a good kit with clay, and lubrication. We recently reduce Pinnacles Clay by more than 20.00. It comes with several smaller pieces self sealed. The real benefit is if you drop it, you dont need to toss the entire bar.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html

Use coupon code CORVETTEFORUM for 10% off most car care products at www.autogeek.net (some exclusions apply)
FORUM VENDOR FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS !
Killrwheels@Autogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Fick
CF Senior Member

I've been very happy with Mothers. I would suggest dividing it into about 3 pieces in case you drop the one your working with. Be sure to use plenty of lubricant and have fun; you won't believe the results.
Fick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
easyrider13
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most clays are considered to be very similar. Some hobby clay is sold is coarser versions and might not be the best choice. Look for a good kit with clay, and lubrication. We recently reduce Pinnacles Clay by more than 20.00. It comes with several smaller pieces self sealed. The real benefit is if you drop it, you dont need to toss the entire bar.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
That Pinnacle PolyClay PLUS Kit is a good deal!
easyrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page Clay Bar Question