Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Maguair "report"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 09:09 PM

Default Maguair "report"

Okay, my right arm has been rendered virtually useless after this afternoon. I only wish it was from something “fun,” ~wicked grin~ like hefting a few too many libations. Anyway…

I had written a while ago about Maguiar’s products…I had wanted to clay, Scratch-X, polish and wax the finish of my black ’96 convertible that I had bought in June. I had pretty much decided on Zaino after reading the posts here – but could find no distributors in Minneapolis. At least no one let me know of one.

Soooooooo I washed the car with Dawn first.

I then started the clay‘ing process. Either I’m a half-wit and didn’t know how to use the clay or the finish didn’t need that sort of detail. The clay just glided across the finish. I abandoned the clay – re-washing the area I used it on.

Next I used the Scratch-X. I had 2 areas in specific I wanted to try it on…. a hard water spot about the size of a nickel and some nail polish from my fingernail inadvertently hitting the finish while washing it a couple of weeks ago. The Scratch-X worked on neither. The step was abandoned as well (as I had been planning to do the whole car for those little surface scratches).

Polish next. I can’t remember the name of it, but it was the Maguiar’s top-shelf stuff recommended for black cars. I guess I didn’t realize, though, that polish basically has to be rubbed in to remove the clouding….hence, m’ trashed arm. Makes sense, though.

I’m leaving the waxing for tomorrow a.m. – again, Maguiar’s top shelf stuff.

All in all, I guess I think I’ve gotten just as good results with the new 3M liquid wax product with half the work. (I usually use a good quality car wash then wax it – every other time I wash.) Maybe the finish on the car was in better condition than I thought. I just figured with it being several years old, it likely needed what I had plan.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:09 AM
C4 Suke
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Maguair "report" (Mairi)

For the clay bar, this happened to me for the first half of the hood, I didn't know if it was normal or not, but then I noticed that I wasn't putting on enough of the lubricating spray, and that really does help it a lot.

I started using Swirl Remover on my hood since last week, and I just got done today, doing small sections at a time, and I polished the hood today with Show Car Glaze #7. I rubbed it in and waiting a bit before taking the polish off. The polish was hard to take off, just like the swirl remover, but I took a long time to buff it to a perfect finish. All that was only the hood, now I got the whole car to do still, man my arms are gonna fall off, but the end result is sweet.

What kind of polish and wax are you using ? I use Meguiar's Mirror Show Car products, #7 show car glaze and then I think #26 Yellow Wax, works really good. I was really impressed because I have never seen my paint look so good since I got it, almost no swirls in the sunlight, probably because I spent so much time with the swirl remover. Good luck with the Wax, I haven't used it in a while so I don't know how easy it will come on and off, but I'm sure it'll wear your arms just doing the hood.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:58 AM

Hi, Suke:

What kind of polish and wax are you using?
I used the Deep Crystal Step 2 polish...and will be using the Gold Class wax. I went by the steps the guy from Meguiars (I'm going to get the spelling down yet!) recommended. Funny thing, after I finished polishing the car yesterday, I found the same products you used tucked away...I must have used them on my TransAm at some point.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:11 PM

All I can say is nice...very nice. Pretty easy to use, too. (Meguiars Gold Class)
Old 10-13-2001, 10:19 PM
C4 Suke
Melting Slicks

Thats cool, I'm going to test the polish I use with Gold Class and Yellow Wax, and see which one has a better outcome.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:26 AM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Maguair "report" (C4 Suke)

I bought the dual action polisher from Meguair's at "Back To The 50's" at the state fair grounds this summer...turns that all afternoon polish into 20 minutes!

Don't bother with the $30 Checker polisher...it just wastes wax and sprays up the car really bad. It's expensive...but worth it!

The nice thing about clay...if you do it right the first time...and keep the car waxed...you never have to do it again!
Old 10-16-2001, 11:01 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Maguair "report" (MinnesotaWhite)

If you really like the Meguiar's products, try their #7 Show Car Glaze followed by Medallion paint protection...Medallion is a synthetic, ie: no silicone and the Show Car Glaze will get the paint poppin'!
I have been real happy with Zaino products but if you are happy, your car is happy. :D :cool: :chevy :chevy
Old 10-17-2001, 01:26 AM
C4 Suke
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Maguair "report" (silversport)

Haven't tried Medallion yet, I'll look into it.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:02 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Maguair "report" (C4 Suke)

I think you will be pleased...if not, I gotta full bottle of Gold Class Wax and Gold Class Swirl Remover I could sell cheap...just a thought. :lol: :lol: :lol:
...but seriously...Tan bottle #7 Show Car Glaze followed by Medallion is very nice....or you could get Zaino :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :chevy
Good luck in your choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Maguair "report"

Quick Reply: Maguair "report"