Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

I will never again use a chamois to dry my vette!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
TTU
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will never again use a chamois to dry my vette!

I recently had some damage to my clear coat using a chamois on the vette. I noticed that, after drying it, I had some faint scratches on the surface. Much to my dismay, I had some areas of dirt colletion on the chamois. That really turned me off.

So, I did some research, and came across what is called a microfiber waffle drying towel (purchased at a local Auto Zone). I am truely amazed at the performance of this product. No scratches or blemishes were noted. You simple wash to towel before using it for the first time, and let it dry. I literally dried the entire vette without having to wring out the towel!

If you all get a chance, try out the microfiber waffle drying towel. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A electric leaf blower is the best. Nothing but air touches the surface. Not a swirl on my 06.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:38 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it is worth trying but I've used the same genuine sheepskin chamois for 10 years. Still works perfectly and I've never seen a single scratch from it. Is it possible you had some dirt or something on it or maybe it wasn't the best quality chamois? I've tried some of those waffle like "Tiger Towels" in the past but they lasted at most 10 washes and didn't work nearly as well. Maybe they've come a long way in 10 years?

Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turmat
A electric leaf blower is the best. Nothing but air touches the surface. Not a swirl on my 06.
I use that on the wheels/tires only. An electric leaf blower just isn't strong enough to push off all the water unless you keep 19 coats of wax on the car at all times so the water beads like crazy.

Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,268 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I throw my chamois in the washing machine every few car washes and it stays clean and absorbent. Like anything cloth that you drag across a car, it gets dirty. You may not even see the dirt, but it's there. Some say you should never wash a chamois, just throw it out when it's dirty and get another one. Guess I'm too cheap - but mine has lasted seven years so far.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
dougatl
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

TTU- do use the microfiber weave drying towel after the car is hit with the leaf blower, works 4 me.
Doug
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Microfiber is awefully nice. Just beware, if it hits the ground. It's done. It pics up the finest little pieces that you could imagine. Once its on the microfiber, it will go to your clear coat next.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

I've switched to the "Absorber"....works like a chamois, but pulls at least twice the water. I wash it after each use...you store it wet in its plastic container. I bought mine a couple of years ago at Corvettes at Carlisle...saw the demo, thought there was probably some snake oil involved and not as good as the demo, but said, "what the hey" and bought one....much much better than a chamois and only costs about $10. Unless you are totally into leaf blowers and don't use some sort of cloth, I recommend you try one.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
pjdisci
Instructor

Throw some coats of zaino on it and the leaf blower is fine......it's the only wat to go................
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PAVette
I've switched to the "Absorber"....works like a chamois, but pulls at least twice the water. I wash it after each use...you store it wet in its plastic container. I bought mine a couple of years ago at Corvettes at Carlisle...saw the demo, thought there was probably some snake oil involved and not as good as the demo, but said, "what the hey" and bought one....much much better than a chamois and only costs about $10. Unless you are totally into leaf blowers and don't use some sort of cloth, I recommend you try one.
I also use the Absorber along with a clean, white terrycloth towel (which hardly even gets wet). I'm fanatical about making sure the Absorber towel is clean and well rinsed before using....I've never had a problem. The Absorber brand towel is awesome.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I use that on the wheels/tires only. An electric leaf blower just isn't strong enough to push off all the water unless you keep 19 coats of wax on the car at all times so the water beads like crazy.

Mike
Actually, that is how I gage that it is time to re-wax.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Atomic Orange
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I've got 2 of those, works better than a chamois IMHO

I have 2 absorbers. My prefer method of drying my car.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM
patpprice
Racer

Originally Posted by pjdisci
Throw some coats of zaino on it and the leaf blower is fine......it's the only wat to go................
I keep Zaino on mine and use a blower to dry. I'm done drying in less than 5 minutes. Best method I've found, and I have tried all the others. I do use a waffle weave to catch the water that collects inside the door sills and trunk lid. Not a scratch or swirl yet on my C6.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pjdisci
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

I recently bought a CR Spotless because I have really hard water, I tried it out last week and it worked perfect. After I rinsed my car I just walked away and let the car air dry, it dried perfectly with no water spots. Now I can use my leaf blower and not have to worry about water spots.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dougatl
TTU- do use the microfiber weave drying towel after the car is hit with the leaf blower, works 4 me.
Doug
Now that's black at it's best!

Get notified of new replies

To I will never again use a chamois to dry my vette!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I use the California Water Blade, basically a big soft squeege that removes 90% of the water. Follow it up with a microfiber towel to get the rest. Never got a single swirl even on my LMB C5.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

been using the leaf blower methind for along time now !
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The absorber will not remove wax and if you squeeze it out after it is full of water and dip it into a clean bucket of water to rinse, wring it out and continue to use until car is dry the likely hood of scratches is minor.

z51vett

Quick Reply: I will never again use a chamois to dry my vette!