Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Two bucket wash method

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 AM
mark8855
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two bucket wash method

How important is the two bucket wash method? To date, I've always just used a single bucket, and have used a 100% cotton towel instead of a wash mitt. I never let the washing towel rest on the bottom of the bucket, so I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. Is this a really bad way to wash a car?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Up to you... depends on how much you like seeing spiderwebbing, and then having to polish it out.

At least if you get a Grit Guard, it should go in your suds bucket. If the car's especially dirty, fill up another bucket with rinse water.

Ditch the towel and get a nice sheepskin/lambswool wash mitt -- not only is it safer because of its gentle hairs and deep nap, but it's easier to use.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I should say that ideally you'd have two buckets with two Grit Guards.

And ALWAYS use a separate bucket of suds and an old wash mitt for your wheels and lower areas.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim D.

And ALWAYS use a separate bucket of suds and an old wash mitt for your wheels and lower areas.
I use a different cloth for wheels and lower areas, of course. IMO it is not necessary to use a separate bucket for those areas. I simply do them last.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:42 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

how important? it's the key to life. Would never think of using only one bucket.

Some good advice above, IMO - use a sheepskin mitt ($5 at Walmart).

Also, I too use a completely different bucket and mitt for wheel wells, wheels, tires. Once a mitt and bucket get brake dust on them, it's next to impossible to completely remove, and that stuff can really ruin a clearcoat. I also never use my clearcoat towels on the wheels - a "demoted" towel is used for that.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I use only one bucket (clean water) when using a foam gun as the application of soapy water. After presoaking the entire car, I go panel by panel and wash. After each panel I wash out my mitt (sheepskin, Shmitt, Chenille, Microfiber) in the clean water. At 1/2 way point, I rinse bucket and refill with new water. Works well ....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
PAvetter
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bugman
how important? it's the key to life. Would never think of using only one bucket.

Also, I too use a completely different bucket and mitt for wheel wells, wheels, tires. Once a mitt and bucket get brake dust on them, it's next to impossible to completely remove, and that stuff can really ruin a clearcoat. I also never use my clearcoat towels on the wheels - a "demoted" towel is used for that.
GREAT Advice!!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by bugman

So those cheap-o mitts at walmart/target are OK? Why are those ok, but you guys refuse to use the microfiber stuff bought at big retailers?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Jim D.

Then follow the routine by drying with an electric leaf blower.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8855
So those cheap-o mitts at walmart/target are OK? Why are those ok, but you guys refuse to use the microfiber stuff bought at big retailers?
Because the important thing is not "where" you buy something - it is the actual quality of the product. If they'd sell Zaino at Walmart I'd buy it for sure. Through my own experience I've found the MF sold at Walmart and Kmart to be unreliable - a few towels were ok, but most of them EASILY produced cobwebbing on my clearcoat right in front of my eyes with very little pressure on the cloth- try it yourself in noon day sun , and you'll see. Unless you are looking right at the sun's reflection on your clearcoat, you'd never be able to see these scratches.

There's no need to repeat that experiment more than once.

On the contrary, I was tuned in to the Eurow brand sheepskin mitt by a Grand Guru here named ZaneO - tried them for myself and LOVED them - have been using only these on my cars for the past 3 years with fantastic results. It's good to benefit from the trials of others - save yourself the hassle of doing all your own experiments. And don't look a gift sheep in the mouth - it's just a nice bonus that you can get these for $5 at Wally World , instead of paying $15 at some specialty boutique.

Get notified of new replies

To Two bucket wash method

Quick Reply: Two bucket wash method