Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Rocks Caught in Seam Between Rocker and Rear Quarter

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
boony1968
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rocks Caught in Seam Between Rocker and Rear Quarter

See pic of rocks caught in front of rear tire. This is my GS and my Z06 had the same problem. I wasn't concerned about this too much with the Z. The new to me GS is black and was a garage queen. Paint is in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way.

How do you remove these rocks avoiding damage to the paint in the process? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening?

Sorry if this is a common post, I tried searching.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed. I have the same problem.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Best way to do this without leaving any marks is to take a flathead screwdriver and cover the tip with an old t-shirt or some other cloth. Gently slide it into the gap and put a VERY slight amount of pressure on the screwdriver. This will seperate the panels very slight and with a q-tip or something else you will be able to just push out the rocks without leaving a mark. If you go to remove the rocks and they do not move a little more pressure on the screwdriver should do the trick.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Red Tabby
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another way to get rid of the stones is by removing the screw that is facing the rear tire. You can see that screw in your picture. Once it is out, gently pull the upper panel out and the stones will start to fall out. Then you can use your finger, a q-tip, or something else to remove the rest of them.

There is an old thread on this and some suggested getting the 3M foam tape to stuff in the wheel well to stop this annoyance from happening. I haven't done that yet but maybe some day. I hope this helps. If I find the old thread, I'll post it later.

Here is the DIY fix thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ml?forum_id=74

Here is the original thread about the problem:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cks-stuck.html

Last edited by Red Tabby; 07-06-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The foam tape in the DIY fix works very well. I did this a couple of years ago and have had no more stones in the crevices.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGrayGS
The foam tape in the DIY fix works very well. I did this a couple of years ago and have had no more stones in the crevices.

^^^This. I did the same. No more rocks/pebbles! I also pulled the screw out and got them out that way.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't pry on anything. Remove the screws and it will fall out. Here's a link to help:

Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 PM
boony1968
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks everyone. I pulled the screws, popped the ears out about an inch and tapped on the fenders. I can't believe how much stuff fell out of there. I'll add the foam next time I pull the wheels.

The space between the liner and the quarter must be there for a reason but the lack of some kind of weather striping or rubber flap is surprising.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:12 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tabby
Another way to get rid of the stones is by removing the screw that is facing the rear tire. You can see that screw in your picture. Once it is out, gently pull the upper panel out and the stones will start to fall out. Then you can use your finger, a q-tip, or something else to remove the rest of them.

There is an old thread on this and some suggested getting the 3M foam tape to stuff in the wheel well to stop this annoyance from happening. I haven't done that yet but maybe some day. I hope this helps. If I find the old thread, I'll post it later.

Here is the DIY fix thread:

Here is the original thread about the problem:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cks-stuck.html
Yep, this is it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocks Caught in Seam Between Rocker and Rear Quarter

Quick Reply: Rocks Caught in Seam Between Rocker and Rear Quarter