Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

After polishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 PM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default After polishing

I removed all the swirl marks with a fine cut compound. Polished with a Pro machine glaze. Then finished up with an ultimate polish.
If I wash the car, will the washing remove the oils in the polish? Just what would be best result. I want to apply a sealant. Then a couple layers of wax. Thank for the advice.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 3RD-INF
I removed all the swirl marks with a fine cut compound. Polished with a Pro machine glaze. Then finished up with an ultimate polish.
If I wash the car, will the washing remove the oils in the polish? Just what would be best result. I want to apply a sealant. Then a couple layers of wax. Thank for the advice.
There are several ways/products that can be used to remove any remaining oils from polishing and glazes.

1. Paint Cleansing Lotion
2. Commercial Solvent Wiping Agent
3. Specialty Paint prep products

I have also found that a light wash (to avoid marring) with a good soap (make sure soap doesn't have wax or glossing agents in it) will indeed prep for the sealant of your choice.

I have also seen a homemade mixture of alcohol/water spritzed on paint and wiped off will often remove any remaining oils also.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 AM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss worked good for me. I know Autogeek said to stay away from gloss enhancers..but Im pretty sure this formula is designed for this purpose..I could be wrong though Have also heard Dawn soap does well.

Last edited by pyrodav; 01-07-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 AM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a good shampoo. I'll use it to remove the oils and what ever is left from the polish. Thanks for all of the info. Again the C F comes through.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrodav
CG Citrus Wash & Gloss worked good for me. I know Autogeek said to stay away from gloss enhancers..but Im pretty sure this formula is designed for this purpose..I could be wrong though Have also heard Dawn soap does well.
I would not use Dawn on a car; over time, it will dry out the plastic and rubber trim.
Have you considered a coating instead of a sealant? You've done all the prep work already. A coating is actually quicker and easier to apply. I did my '08 fourteen months ago, and it still looks great.

Last edited by SouthBaySurfer; 01-07-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I use Menzerna top Inspection from Autogeek on a MF bonnet with the DA. Works great!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I just gave my car a quick wash after the paint correction to ensure I got all the dust off the car and had the paint perfectly clean before I went ahead with the sealant. Came out great!

Get notified of new replies

To After polishing

Quick Reply: After polishing