Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sonax Wheel Rim Shield Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:08 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Default Sonax Wheel Rim Shield Review

Well this will be the beginning stage.
I received the product but have had some bad weather to go along with some very long days last week. Yesterday was crap. So this morning,with the bright sunshine and lower humidity and temp, i started out to give the car a quickie.
Just as a side note, my car is mostly daily driven approx 66 miles a day and loves to go out on weekends to play. It is not garage kept as I can not get in the driveway.Or even close. So it see's lots of sun and bad weather.I wash it close to every day( or every day I can-as a neighbor told me this morning of me being in the street after snow storms to wash the car). I test a LOT of products and find what I like the best in application-removal-ease-longevity and looks. I could care what I spend on the product as long as I'm pleased with the results.
So Autogeek offered this up in an add not long ago. my experience with Sonax products has always yielded good results.Although not my favorite in anything, I find it to be a solid product. Having used Polymer Net Shield and being pleased with the results I thought this might be a good go. Sonax claims that this is basically the product but enhanced to deal with heat better. Anyone who has used PNS knows how easy it is to apply.
Like all products best to apply to a thoroughly clean and dry surface. i will not go into that process, as most should know how to clean and dry a wheel by now. Pic's are not used as I find people take these glamour shots as say " See how great Z or X or whatever looks" BS. Lets see the up close shots. I can make Turtle wax look good-but would never use it.
The car is a 2010 GS and lets say that every 2 days 9 if you paid attention what would be 132 miles I really see the accumulated brake dust on the wheels and go nuts( hardly goes that far between washing's but lately has).
So with clean and dried wheels, I sprayed each one with the WRS. That's it! not wiping,nothing. Easy as it gets. It goes on even and you can easily control the spray. They ( chrome GS wheel's ) look a little hazy as the are covered complete. Seems like I can do this wheels another 8-10 times with whats left. Next time I will weigh can before and after application as I have a nice ride being dropped off Mon night to detail.
Stay tuned as I will post ease of brake dust removal-cut down on visual- and longevity.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Cannot wait to see and hear the results ...

Brake dust often almost attaches to wheels and needs some rubbing to remove or agitation when using a wheel cleaner. Please consider wiping with a towel or finger and let us also know how easy/hard it is to remove.
The following users liked this post:
yamabob (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 AM
yamabob
Drifting

You can count on it. Been very curious to see myself. Tuesday night would be a cleaning night. I washed this morning but not the wheels on purpose
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Ordered it today. Hoping I can laze out and not have to coat my wheels.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Well here it is so far. Application was easy as can be. After I applied I noticed the chrome was a little hazier than before. I waited for it ti set to see if it was a just part of the application process. It seems as if it has remained. This may be due to over applying. I have a spare set of chrome GS wheels I will do and apply less to see if it's me or the product. Now I'm not talking" Oh ****-are these things matte?" but rather a slight opacity that was not there before.
Usually from traveling Mon to Tues night I need to wash the wheels due to the layer of visible brake dust. Yesterday was a loooonnnnggg day and was too dark to see. I drove in this morning and when I left tonight( I took home a work truck), I looked at them. For Scott I wiped a spot ( would not do that on paint for ya . I can say this with out any hesitation. Much,much less has built up on the wheel. To the point of almost none. This is great as I wash this sucker non stop. At times it might be a hose blast and a leaf blow dry,but seriously probably 5 days a week. Keeping the wheels looking good was a mandatory every 2 days to remove that build up. Not now it looks like.I will get her to the point of what it was before as far as film build up and then see how easily it's removed whether just a hose blast or soap and water or elbow grease is needed. Stay tuned....
So far works pretty dang good. Between McKee's tire Coating and this my wheel's/ tires I don;t think have looked this good for as long
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the update
Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM
yamabob
Drifting

My pleasure. Can't wait for you to use it and see your results.Been a great year so far for some new products that have made keeping her look her best easier.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Yep, and I get em all............
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Hope you're not getting any I'm not.
On a side note I too am liking the way this Kenotek is keeping her look great. Wifey bought a new ride. Needles to say it has no protection on it (yet). After a nice wash I applied some.Nice and slick. I washed her a week later after she came back from a trip and that spot still has a fairly smooth feel to it. didn't think it would last that long
Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yamabob
Hope you're not getting any I'm not.
On a side note I too am liking the way this Kenotek is keeping her look great. Wifey bought a new ride. Needles to say it has no protection on it (yet). After a nice wash I applied some.Nice and slick. I washed her a week later after she came back from a trip and that spot still has a fairly smooth feel to it. didn't think it would last that long
Loving the Kenotek showroom shine. Just got interior stuff and wheel cleaner to try.

Just used Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. WOW

Just put up review.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the review. The product that I currently use is about gone and has been discontinued. I saw the email on this product and was hoping it would be a good replacement.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:30 PM
yamabob
Drifting

If ya get it let us know your thoughts. Good to see how products hold up in varying climates

Get notified of new replies

To Sonax Wheel Rim Shield Review

Quick Reply: Sonax Wheel Rim Shield Review