Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Foam cannon - Where have you been all of my life

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Default Foam cannon - Where have you been all of my life

A few disclaimers here. First I was a recent adopter of the 2 bucket wash method (6 months ago) so now you can imagine what a revelation the foam cannon was/is. Also, we have extremely hard water (well water) in our development so always battling that. Ordered mine from Chemical guys off Amazon for $26. Picked up their extreme body wash + wax to load the gun.

We recently had 8" snow here in NC and the salt that comes with mitigating it. We had a break in the weather yesterday (50*) so time to wash all 3 cars that got exposed. This is always a TEAM effort for my wife and I as we like our cars clean. Foamed down the Z06 first and let it soak. Then on to my company car, Avalon. I would NEVER attempt to wash 2 cars at once normally, however with the cool, overcast day and letting the foam do it's job; I had a little more time than usual.

A few things I didn't expect.

1) The foam cannon really does do a great job of pre-washing the car and lifting off the surface dirt/salt.
2) Once you begin washing with the 2 bucket method it goes MUCH faster. Dirt just slides off the car.
3) Here's what I didn't expect. No hard water deposits! I know guys that bought all of the Mr. Clean water-softener car cleaning kits when they were discontinue. Hell even I stocked up. No need with the foam cannon. It coats the car, buys you some time to dry it and doesn't leave hard water deposits.

AWESOME, just AWESOME!

One day I'll get the stones to buy a buffer/polisher.......baby-steps.

Here's my setup:

- 2 buckets
- 2 grit guards
- 2 bucket dollies
- Wheel Woolies
- Chemical guys foam cannon
- California drying blade
- Not shown - Chemical guys micro fiber towels (red, yellow and drying) and washing mits (one for the car, one for the wheels)

Last edited by cvp33; 01-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CZinGA (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 222 Posts

Is there an adapter to connect to a garden hose?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

The foam cannon comes with a quick-disconnect that I didn't use. Simply screw the nozzle on to your hose, use the foam cannon to coat the car, then detach the foam cannon and use their nozzle. Simple.
justplainjim (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

The Foam Cannon is amazing. I have never used one in all my life until last year. For that matter, I never even owned a 2000PSI pressure washer before but found myself buying one from Lowe's. It does take a few minutes to setup and you will have hoses/electrical cord all over the place, but the foam does look nice, especially to people driving by and looking

Last edited by Z06NJ; 01-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z06NJ:
blkvet6 (01-15-2017), CZinGA (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I'm having no luck finding a $26 Chemical Guys foam cannon on Amazon. OP, are you using a pressure washer or your hose?

Last edited by rmorin1249; 01-15-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have one and use it regularly, but boy does it use a lot of soap.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Hard water here as well, and I've used the Mr. Clean water softer in the past, which worked, but it had a filtering mechanism. Does the foam canon also filter water?

I've even looked at de-ionizers, but I'm still on the fence. I have two black vehicles and hard water deposits are a PIA, which is one of the reasons I purchased an AW Vette, but you can still see the spots.

Last edited by sTz; 01-15-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you have the one that connects to a hose or to a power washer?? A foam cannon connects to a power washer, foam gun uses your hose. I've had a foam gun for a while now, just bought a foam cannon. Can't wait for some warm weather so I can try it out.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:56 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I would definitely advise against using a water blade. All it takes is one unnoticed piece of debris to ruin your day. It happened to me. Leaf blower was my answer to that.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Bigeasyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 573 Likes on 250 Posts

I got a Foam cannon from my son as a Christmas gift, have not used it yet......
Old 01-15-2017, 11:10 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

The foam canon has an adapter that connects to the water hose. This QC is so it, the canon, can be disconnected from the hose when it comes time to refill the container.

The canon does not need to be connected to a power washer. The concept of the canon is to coat the car with a layer of thick foam so it can soak in, raising the dirt from the body panels so it can be washed away. Depending on the ratio of water to foam liquid, as the foam breaks down, if slides off the car taking some, not all, of the dirt with it.

For #6,, the amount of soap can be adjusted to use more or less, depending on the barrel slide on the front of the gun barrel. If yours is like mine, there should be 5 <???> different positions.

Not certain if this is the recommended method, but I will apply a layer of slightly thinner foam that does its thing; lift the dirt and take it awy. I then rinse, and apply another layer of foam, but this second layer of foam is much thicker; so it kinda stays in place. Once the car is coated I let it sit for a few minutes. Then I use the two-bucket method to wash the car using the foam as an additional source of detergent.

As to the references to hard-water... I too have hard water and never noticed it. Now that I think about it, yeah, it does seem to work.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 948 Likes on 416 Posts

I've used a Foam Cannon for years....I never wash my cars without it. Using the proper soap concentrate with the Foam Cannon enhances the job you can do with it. I'd be lost without it.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:04 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

I didn't and won't use the pressure washer with this. Also this unit has an adjuster dial for the concentration. I used 12oz of soap to do 3 cars. Never lost the suds and the 3 vehicles were coated with plenty of foam. The price was using 25% off Amazon/Chemical Guys coupon, plus subscribe and save (which you cancel after delivery) and my Discover Card 5% rebate for December.

Originally Posted by 97Black
I would definitely advise against using a water blade. All it takes is one unnoticed piece of debris to ruin your day. It happened to me. Leaf blower was my answer to that.
Agreed. Would love to get the wall unit where you don't need to pull out the ol' leaf blower every time.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-15-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your response look like this.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

I use the conventional bucket/suds method with MF sponge with a thorough rinse to start. My C7 is my dd so I wash it frequently - almost weekly. I do drive it in the rain but usually take my beater Mini Copper if it's more than a light rain that's predicted as heavy rains cause rock and mud slides on my commute route that the Vette can't get over.

We have heavy minerals in our water and the only way I have been able to eliminate them is using a deionized water setup paired with an 8hp Master Blaster, though, drying is not necessary if the deionized system is properly charged. Cars come out spotless with less effort this way.

cvp33 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,775 Likes on 4,195 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I've got one too....Love it!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:33 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Patches
I use the conventional bucket/suds method with MF sponge with a thorough rinse to start. My C7 is my dd so I wash it frequently - almost weekly. I do drive it in the rain but usually take my beater Mini Copper if it's more than a light rain that's predicted as heavy rains cause rock and mud slides on my commute route that the Vette can't get over.

We have heavy minerals in our water and the only way I have been able to eliminate them is using a deionized water setup paired with an 8hp Master Blaster, though, drying is not necessary if the deionized system is properly charged. Cars come out spotless with less effort this way.

I'm very VERY jealous

Get notified of new replies

To Foam cannon - Where have you been all of my life

Quick Reply: Foam cannon - Where have you been all of my life