Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 x 18 fronts and 335 x 18 rears???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 305 x 18 fronts and 335 x 18 rears???

I bought a new set of the CCW Corsairs and they recommended the above setup. My problem is with the 335 rears I have less than 10 mm clearance on the inside rear fenderwell which I suspect will lead to issues in hard cornering AND the fronts stick out past the upper federwell by 1.5 inches which I suspect is going to lead to the fenderwell coming down on top of the tire in hard cornering. Anyone running this setup? Any suggestions? My car is lowered and I know the fronts will hit in a braking/cornering situation. Thanks for any input
Old 06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup -- same basic tires on 11x18's and 12x18's. Sounds like similar offset.

a) Say goodbye to the rear fender linings. Under lateral load, you'll likely wear into the liner itself.
b) Depending on how far out the REARS sit, look at flared fenders. The WC 3/4" flare seems to fit most.
c) Be prepared to buy extra fenders on occastion, most specifically if you hit the candystripe a bunch, or have off-track adventures. I've cracked rears, but not fronts.
d) Rubbing is OK for the post part . . . . it just adds rubber in places you wouldn't normally expect. If you're rubbing on the SHOULDER of the tire, keep an eye on it. I've seen cut tires from too much wear on the shoulders (technically, it eventually became sidewall)
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GAS
I bought a new set of the CCW Corsairs and they recommended the above setup. My problem is with the 335 rears I have less than 10 mm clearance on the inside rear fenderwell which I suspect will lead to issues in hard cornering AND the fronts stick out past the upper federwell by 1.5 inches which I suspect is going to lead to the fenderwell coming down on top of the tire in hard cornering. Anyone running this setup? Any suggestions? My car is lowered and I know the fronts will hit in a braking/cornering situation. Thanks for any input
WE have been running 305/335's for the last 6 months on the track--No issue on a car that is not lowered--lowered and you will rub the front fender guards in the front of tire.The rear inner fender panels and fender flares are just plastic--just another wear part like brakes,rotors and tires.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Same set up here.

18 x305/30 on 18x10 rim fronts

18x335/30 on 18x13 rim rear.

I also have a 3/8" spacer on the rear wheel and use longe studs.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
WE have been running 305/335's for the last 6 months on the track--No issue on a car that is not lowered--lowered and you will rub the front fender guards in the front of tire.The rear inner fender panels and fender flares are just plastic--just another wear part like brakes,rotors and tires.
You're cheating Mike . . . your car is setup for bigger tires
Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by emf
You're cheating Mike . . . your car is setup for bigger tires
Shorter tire in rear compared to the front--NO ONE is faster off the apex.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 PM
GAS
Instructor

Okay...So I put the fronts on this evening and when I turn in the outside edge of the tire hits on the screws on the outside edge of the inner fenderwell that hold it to the outside fender. When I turn out the rear outside edge of the front tire is hitting on the outside edge of the back of the front fenderwell. The fronts fit great on the back of the car. So........looks like I have to raise the car if I want to run these......or maybe sell the rears and get new fronts. Opinions???
Old 06-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GAS
Okay...So I put the fronts on this evening and when I turn in the outside edge of the tire hits on the screws on the outside edge of the inner fenderwell that hold it to the outside fender. When I turn out the rear outside edge of the front tire is hitting on the outside edge of the back of the front fenderwell. The fronts fit great on the back of the car. So........looks like I have to raise the car if I want to run these......or maybe sell the rears and get new fronts. Opinions???
275's clear fine on lowered car
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More negative camber up front will help the tire stick, and gain you a bit of fender clearance. Fronts rubbing are not to bad, the fender is soft, and will wear to the pattern it needs. If the rears hit - crack!

It does sound like they did not give you quite enough backspace in the front to pull that big tire and wheel inboard. It risks some a-arm clearance, but you can fine tune that with spacers.

Another option is the 295/18 or 285/18 size, those are a bit narrower (an the 285 is shorter) which improves the clearance issue.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Geff,

I think the issue is that they gave you more clearance for the Stop-tech BBK, they gave too much offset for the front wheels. If anything run the front's in the rear and have them make up something different for the front, taking the space out for the BBK.

Take some pics and post them I think that will help everyone see what your dealing with.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
TheDarkKnight
Burning Brakes

I agree with 96CollectorSport, it has to be the offset. I run 305x18s (rear Z06 wheels) on all four. It's lowered about 1.75", and I use it in Autocross. I've no rubbing or clearance issues at all. You might see if you can test-fit a set of Rear Z06 rims/305s on them in order to look for clearance issues. I am assuming it's on a C5.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:08 AM
yellow c5r vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't camber / caster on the front effect were the wheel "sits" in the wheel well?
In setting up our C5 track car I'm using the stock GM 96 GS 17x11's (forget what offset these are but they were for the rears on the 96 GS's) that we'd been running on our C4 track car. With 315x35's we ended up with the front cams at max and needed to "adjust" for no tire contact using the rear cams only. Setting -2.0 both side and excepted a slight difference in caster. No pulling at all over the diff in caster.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
nassaufrc
Racer

That is the exact setup on my car. I love it. It is pretty balanced and the rear only steps out when I push really hard.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
GAS
Instructor

Okay then....I called my man "John" at CCW (this guy knows his stuff and aims to please!) and he is sending another set of rear rims with an additional 1/2 inch of offset to move the tire away from the rear inner fenderwell. I am also getting some 295's for the front in the hope of getting away from the slight tire rub up there. Finally, got the wrenches out last evening and started raising...wqent up about 3/4 inch all around and it seems to be better. We'll see after a road test at MAM this weekend. Lets see....thought I needed slicks...thought I needed wider slicks...thought I needed big brakes...then I needed diffferent rims...now the car goes up...what will that do to shock travel..and on and on...... Have a great day gang!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
GAS
Instructor

Okay then....I called my man "John" at CCW (this guy knows his stuff and aims to please!) and he is sending another set of rear rims with an additional 1/2 inch of offset to move the tire away from the rear inner fenderwell. I am also getting some 295's for the front in the hope of getting away from the slight tire rub up there. Finally, got the wrenches out last evening and started raising...went up about 3/4 inch all around and it seems to be better. We'll see after a road test at MAM this weekend. Lets see....thought I needed slicks...thought I needed wider slicks...thought I needed big brakes...then I needed diffferent rims...now the car goes up...what will that do to shock travel..and on and on...... Have a great day gang!

Get notified of new replies

To 305 x 18 fronts and 335 x 18 rears???

Quick Reply: 305 x 18 fronts and 335 x 18 rears???