Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Gas Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Gas Tanks

I'm taking out the fuel tanks so I can weld in a roll cage. I've got the tanks loose by removing the skid plates and I've drained the tanks and removed the 5 lines that go to the tanks where the pickups are. Now they seem to be connected, tank to tank, at the top by a 2" hose. There appears to be hose clamps that attach them to the tanks.

It looks hellish to get the hose off. Any tips?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is hellish, especially with the trans in place. Even withthe trans out, it is hard to get any grip on the hose to pull them apart.

I cut the hose to get them out after much 'discussion'
Old 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
danswofford
Pro

I'll be cutting out some of the sheetmetal that makes up the bulkhead behind the seats to make access to weld in the cage. Perhaps that could expose access to the hose?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Not really, the hose (and clamps) are tucked up in the "C" channel section at the top of that bulkhead. One possible method might be fashioning a hook (or looping a cable) around the hose from below. Loosen/remove both clamps, then pull on the loop to get the hose to pop off the tank ends. I think that might work - I'm sure others have some proven method as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you say "I have small hands" ten times. Your hand will be the same size but it should make you laugh before it hurts. It's a pain in the xxx to get the tanks out. But should be done.

Randy
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'll be cutting out some of the sheetmetal that makes up the bulkhead behind the seats to make access to weld in the cage. Perhaps that could expose access to the hose?
Don't you love doing it yourself? I just keep on telling myself it is worth it....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
danswofford
Pro

The tanks must have been installed at some stage of the cars build because it looks about impossible. Lucky for me I actually enjoy working on the car. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dan
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Take some pics if you can and post them and any lessons learned for the rest of us please. I watched a TV show on what happened to the Hindenburg last night, don't repeat it with your car, safety first!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

DOnt guys who put in fuel cells have to take the tank out too?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

The factory procedure I believe is with the trans out of the car. That's how I got mine out. There is just very little room to work with the trans in place, coming up from below.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did that job three months ago, and believe me, it is a nightmare. Getting the tanks out is easy, but you need to be strong enough physically to wrestle with them for several hours (in my case) and strong enough mentally to try new things over and over, until you figure it out when going back in with the tanks.

If I ever do that job again, it will be with the transmission and driveline out of the way. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Hint, I think a 7mm socket will fit the worm gear screw that clamps the 2 3/4" transfer hose to both of the tanks.

Good luck, and my condolences.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
Lucky for me I actually enjoy working on the car. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dan
I'm not sure you will after that job, and please do.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

you can get it loose with the trans in the car. I use a 8mm socket on the clamp and then gently pry the hose back off the tank. You also need to remove the left inner wheel housing and remove the fuel fill line. After you have the tank loose and start to let it down there is an evap line on the top you will need to remove also
Hope this helps,
Old 09-09-2006, 02:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Not only is there the 3" hose, there are also some vent/EVAC lines up there. You need to be carful, as these are very brittle, and contain a valve that prevents splling it you roll your car upside down.

As suggested above, I cut an access panel above the crossover lines, and put an aluminum close-out panel in to cover it.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:08 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Not only is there the 3" hose, there are also some vent/EVAC lines up there. You need to be carful, as these are very brittle, and contain a valve that prevents splling it you roll your car upside down.

As suggested above, I cut an access panel above the crossover lines, and put an aluminum close-out panel in to cover it.
Remember if you cut a hole the tank and the upper cross over lines are right against the floor. I have the rear floor cut out of my car with a piece of aluminum Zues fastened in so I can change rear diffs out the top without causing alignment issues at the track. I removed the tanks in mine before I cut the floor because of the lines. It is really not that bad after my last wreck I had a crack in the top of the left tank It took me about 45min to an hour to change it and I didnt see any advantage to removing the floor so that time was doing it all from the bottom
Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
danswofford
Pro

I got the tanks out faster than it took to drain some of the gas in them out.

The 3" hose clamps were easy to get at and the hose slipped off with a firm tug.

I'm putting in a 4 pt cage welded to the frame. Now the problem is that there is some kind of a fuel vapor tank on the right side were the right side of the main hoop will go.

I'm thinking of remounting it in the wheel well, say just above the brake vent (Z06).

It will take hose extensions and it will sit at a different angle than it did before. Any problems with that?

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Gas Tanks

Quick Reply: Removing Gas Tanks