Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tracking with an A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with tracking with an A6

Any help with using an A6 on the track is appreciated. I had a hard time accelerating coming out of corners during my HPDE at BIR last week. The instructor was also confused. He had no experience with an A6.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps some more info would be helpful: what gear selection options do you have? Is it the new paddle shifter?

I have a C4 auto and have not driven a base C6 yet.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It is the same as an A4. You must shift the automantic. Do not let the transmission do the shifting for you as it will shift in the wrong places. IE downshift AFTER the corner to get acceleration.

Just like a manural you down shift at the end of the braking zone, just prior to the turn in point. YOu manually upshift when RPMs dicate or you hold the higher RPMs in the lower gear for a very short street.

also with automatics one needs to lern left foot braking.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It is the same as an A4. You must shift the automantic. Do not let the transmission do the shifting for you as it will shift in the wrong places. IE downshift AFTER the corner to get acceleration.

Just like a manural you down shift at the end of the braking zone, just prior to the turn in point. YOu manually upshift when RPMs dicate or you hold the higher RPMs in the lower gear for a very short street.

also with automatics one needs to lern left foot braking.
Thanks. I really appreciate all your responses to my posts.

I have always been a fan of Manual and taught my wife to drive one. But I became lazy and fell for the paddle shifter pitch.

When I stared driving autos, I drove them with left foot braking until I drove a stick one day and attempted to break with my left foot

I see I need to pick up my old habit again. It seems to me that I can break and kind of keep the engine revs up by keeping my right foot a little on the accel. Right?

Also, with this darn paddle shifter, you tell it to shift, then what seems like an hour later, it happens This makes for an interesting few seconds while you hope your request will be granted by the GM gods.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the paddle shifter algarythum( sp?) is difficult to get use to as to WHEN to push the downshift button AND it shifts at the same time.

once you know when to shift at what rpm they work quite well on the downshifts. Upshift is a no brainer and quite fast.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought that a paddle shifter would be an interesting setup for the vette. But after reading and hearing about this version, as well as paddle shifters in other cars I've come to the conclusion that unless it's a true F1 style, it's just a dressed up auto.

I bought an auto because my size 14 feet and three pedals didn't seem to go well together.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with tracking with an A6

Quick Reply: Help with tracking with an A6