Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross Coilovers Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autocross Coilovers Question

i thought i saw something about this on here but i havent been able to find the thread. in looking at the different coilovers, lg seems to be the only one that runs with different upper mounting joints. they have brackets that attach to the locations the old shocks went in as opposed to pfadt or drm that have the same bushing over rod style. does anyone know if this is legal for the sm2 class of autocross? specifically im looking at 16.1.P that says that using brackets to move suspension pickup points is not allowed. so does the upper mount fall under this rule or does it fall under the unrestricted suspension components where "shock absorber/strut upper mounts are to be considered suspension components" and can therefore be modified. any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to see the mount to help you, the pics I see on LG's site make it hard to see. What the changed a couple years ago was to allow spherical bearing upper mounts (that added suspension travel) legal in SP, SM/SM2. I could not tell you if what I see on LG's is legal for SM2. What I didn't realize is that you could swap the leaf springs out for coil overs legally in SM2, but I honestly never seriously competed there to keep up on those things.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

The mounts are SM2 legal, as they still bolt on to the original attachment points. In the front, a bracket bolts through the old 'pin' mounting point (hole). You are just bolting an auxilliary bracket to the original mount, no restriction on that.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Coil-overs are legal in SM2 if no modifications to the frame are made where the shocks attach (maintaining the suspension attachment points). I have personally run an SM2 Corvette for the past 3 years with coil-overs (from ATI).

http://performance.accuratetechnologies.com/

The ATI coil-overs are available complete with springs and Penske shocks, or just mounts and you supply your own shocks and springs. The front upper mounts accept a standard eyelet race shock w/spherical bearing. The rear upper mounts accept a stock post-style Corvette shock, except have a spherical bearing in place of the rubber bushing.

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...&products_id=6

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...&products_id=7

Bob
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 AM
cendres
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltborg
i thought i saw something about this on here but i havent been able to find the thread. in looking at the different coilovers, lg seems to be the only one that runs with different upper mounting joints. they have brackets that attach to the locations the old shocks went in as opposed to pfadt or drm that have the same bushing over rod style. does anyone know if this is legal for the sm2 class of autocross? specifically im looking at 16.1.P that says that using brackets to move suspension pickup points is not allowed. so does the upper mount fall under this rule or does it fall under the unrestricted suspension components where "shock absorber/strut upper mounts are to be considered suspension components" and can therefore be modified. any thoughts?
Yes, the LG coil overs are SM2 legal. I'm running them there and am absolutely thrilled with them. When you order, be sure to tell Anthony your intended use, as he will spec a slightly different spring for AX than he would for road course use.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by cendres
Yes, the LG coil overs are SM2 legal. I'm running them there and am absolutely thrilled with them. When you order, be sure to tell Anthony your intended use, as he will spec a slightly different spring for AX than he would for road course use.
i actaully already have them but was shown the bracket rule and got a little worried. do you know what springs he specs for autocross use? id be very interested in knowing what differences there are as i switched the front and rear springs to get the car to rotate a little better. thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Last edited by ltborg; 07-30-2007 at 08:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross Coilovers Question

Quick Reply: Autocross Coilovers Question