Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked my car up today after VB&P polys, new rear hubs, and ARP studs... awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Picked my car up today after VB&P polys, new rear hubs, and ARP studs... awesome!

The car isn't alligned yet, but that's going to happen Tuesday night. My front lowers were in very very bad shape after my last VIR event running 315 V710s all round. They had been hanging on, but running those big stickies up front finished them off.

Due to the extensive time/labor involved w/ this project I let local auto-x nut Greg Koteski do the work for me. Greg is one of the first people I've me more meticulous/**** about working on cars than I am. This is the first time I've let someone else mod my car, but I'm happy I did. Yes it cost me some money, but his skill/tools made for a better install.

Greg runs a side business called Gregory Performance doing car setup... he posts as Roadrace65 on here. Greg has done quite a few of these installs and has it down to a science. There are some tricks to keeping the grease around the bushings when pressing them in etc. Also, Greg used his media blaster to walnut shell blast all my suspension parts. After 76,000 miles they needed it, they look new!

Going from my racing seat to the stock seat the car felt like a pillow... but now w/ the polys installed it's incredibly responsive even w/ the stock seat under me. The ride over rough rodes in definately firmer, but I'm not driving a Caddy so who cares.

The car feels very flat on turn in and generally more responsive... and this is all w/ the allignment off. I'll have a more detailed report after VIR September 1st and 2nd.

Overall I'm very happy w/ the mod... should be a blast on track. The only worry is the eventual squeeking of the bushings, but if that happens I don't really care. Greg has had his polys in over 2 years and swears they don't squeek. He said it really depens on the car... some do some don't, but most go away after a few weeks.

Cya,
Brian
Old 08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Congrats!!
Glad to hear you don't find the polys too harsh.
I want to switch mine soon-I've been told it's a must.
Thanks for the update.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Congrats.

Holding off doing the suspension mods until this winter. Will be interesting to experience the difference especially on the track.

Would be interested in knowing if your times improve as a result.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I wasn't planning on spending the money, but after my last track event the front bushings were shot, 3 wheel studs were boogered, and the RR wheel bearing was roaring.

So... I kind of had to!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I plan on having Greg do some suspension work on my car. We did some minor performance mods to my car before the NCM VIR event. He does very good work. I thought his business name was Gregory Components. You guys in the Tidewater area of Va should look him up. I drive from Midlothian (west side of Richmond) to see him.

Brian, talk to Rex Harris (Greg can put you in touch with him) about an alignment.

Bob
Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys!

I'm pretty happy with the grease+mods I'm using with the VBP Poly Bushing installation. I've done quite a few cars, C4s and C5s over the past couple years. None of the have come back with squeak issues. Thats not to say that every cars busings are dead silent, but nothing objectionable in both track and street cars.

Gregory Components = Parts
Gregory Performance = service

Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Poly bushings

Greg,

What grease are you using ?

Whatever grease they put in my VB&P poly bushings didn't eliminate squeeking.

Thanks,

J.R.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Greg,

What grease are you using ?

Whatever grease they put in my VB&P poly bushings didn't eliminate squeeking.

Thanks,

J.R.
Lets be careful with the word "Eliminate"

I use a waterproof grease with high PTFE content.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bushings are not the problem with the VBP bushing kits. We have found the metal inserts some of them are a tick longer then stock. So you get a little metal on metal which can give you a horrible sound. The last few sets of bushing we haven't had any issues with. If we have the time, the Prothane(spelling????) Work very nice because you reuse the stock metal sleave.

Bushing are huge!!! On our dyno I can almost tell if the car has bushings or not. The rear tire goes toe in and toe out as we load and unload it.

Randy
Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Did some more driving today and went to get it alligned. The ride is very very firm over ****ty roads of which we have many around here.

Cornering is far flatter now Not sure I even want to consider coil-overs and T1 bars and still drive it on the street at all.

Allignment came in at:

Front

Camber: Left -1.5 Right: -1.6
Caster: Left 7.0 Right: 7.0
Toe: 0

Rear

Camber: Left -1.0 Right: -0.8
Toe: - 1/16th per side

Can't wait to get it out on track w/ my Ultrashield back in.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Cobra4B;1561404856]
Cornering is far flatter now Not sure I even want to consider coil-overs and T1 bars and still drive it on the street at all.
QUOTE]

Been there and done that, this is why I would rather spend the $1250bucks it cost to buy and install the bushings on a better suspension (springs/shocks). I have found over the years, I personally prefer a stiffer suspension with stock rubber bushings. You get a firm flat cornering car that is still driveable on the street and makes far less noise and is more sellable down the road.

But don't take this the wrong way, it's just my preference. You will enjoy your poly's and it will make the car handle slightly better.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My resale is pretty much shot w/o a new paintjob and lots of retuning to stock... this was just the next step. Plus I bought the car to enjoy

I want a jetstream blue C6 one day... that can be my street car.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I should get PU bushings.

I'm getting tired of the front suspension arms sliding on/extruding out their bushings. The lower fronts were last replaced at 9k miles. Now at 14k miles, one of the upper fronts is pulling the same stunt. And I don't drive even remotely close to Danny Popp's speed at autoxes.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Makes me happy I didn't just get oem replacement arms.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Another update: I took the car out tonight to go listen to my buddy's band play. Drove through some back roads, highway, construction areas, etc. Again car definately corners flatter and is ultra-responsive.

It almost feels like it's "broken in" some... maybe I'm getting used to it but I swear it feels less firm/harsh than when I first picked it up.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good to hear you like the VB&P polys - They're on my 2008 Mod List. I also had a complete set of ARP studs installed.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I'm never going to be able to catch you now w/ all that power. After seeing your experience w/ Ed as well as a few others I'm going to have him tune my car as well.

What made you decide to go SD?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

An SD tune done right will often be more responsive and "crisp" across the powerband. Ed spent a great deal of time getting the tables right without needing the MAF. However, we plan to experiment with the MAF on and off at VIR, as he fine tunes the higher end of the VE tables, etc. Ed is a real perfectionist! You'll be happy with his tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Picked my car up today after VB&P polys, new rear hubs, and ARP studs... awesome!

Quick Reply: Picked my car up today after VB&P polys, new rear hubs, and ARP studs... awesome!