Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire and brake fluid questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and brake fluid questions

Is there a decent compromise tire for both HPDEs, and drag racing too? I have my doubts, but thought I'd ask. I've only done ea of them once so far, and may want to continue to do both occassionally til I find my "niche". Right now I'm running BFG KDW-2's.

Also, is it ok to mix GM Dot 4 brake fluid with ATE Super Blue? What about mixing ATE Blue with Motul 600? Reason is, we're gonna do put SS lines on my son's TC and bleed my C6 and my other son's Tiburon, and only have about a pint of ea. btw, how much is required to change over his TC to SS lines? As much as a full flush?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on your tires. I know that roadracing tires have thick sidewalls, so as to corner better and hold their shape more. Drag slicks or tires have thinner sidewalls to give you that flex and spring off the line. Or so I'm told. Not sure what a compromise tire would be... Perhaps them BFGs, but at different pressure.

Fluid... is expensive, and a fact of life. I'd lay in a good supply of it and not mix, though I'd suspect (with no chemical proof or knowledge) that the DOT 4 non-silicone fluids would mix well. I think the shop where I had my wife's SS lines done used two bottles of Motul to get the job done.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't help with the tires, but as for brake fluid, ATE Super Blue and Motul 600 are compatible with DOT4 fluids, and each other. But why mix them? ATE Super Blue is not that expensive and readily available. Just go out and buy a can or two. Most folks will tell you not to mix fluids, as it can affect the boiling points, so just keep that in mind if you mix them. But IMHO, just buy some fresh Super Blue, flush the systems, and don't worry about it.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Is there a decent compromise tire for both HPDEs, and drag racing too? I have my doubts, but thought I'd ask. I've only done ea of them once so far, and may want to continue to do both occassionally til I find my "niche". Right now I'm running BFG KDW-2's.

Also, is it ok to mix GM Dot 4 brake fluid with ATE Super Blue? What about mixing ATE Blue with Motul 600? Reason is, we're gonna do put SS lines on my son's TC and bleed my C6 and my other son's Tiburon, and only have about a pint of ea. btw, how much is required to change over his TC to SS lines? As much as a full flush?
It's fine to mix them. I change brands sometimes and do not do a full flush every time, no troubles.

Tires, I use Kumho MX. They are light, work very well, and are at a good price. They also are great on the street. to them.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just flushed 2 wks ago, and can't find

Can't find any of the ATE Super Blue or the Motul 600 in my little one horse town. I had to mail order that stuff last time. Need it before Sun. Going back to Gingerman for the HPDE on Mon. Will check out those Kumho MX's, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire and brake fluid questions

Quick Reply: Tire and brake fluid questions