Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Classes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Racing Classes

What class of racing is good for a stripped C-4 coupe that has light modifications. I researched the SCCA site and found really no info on car requirements.

I would like to do open road racing like IT.

What are the requirements; cage, fire system, tow hooks, fuel cell...

Inputs please?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out NASA. Performance Touring or Super Touring. Both classes give you plenty of options for upgrades.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to do open road racing (and don't mind driving a ways) check out the Big Bend Open Road Race

The faster you want to go the more safety equipment you have to have. Check out the rules for requirements.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
What class of racing is good for a stripped C-4 coupe that has light modifications. I researched the SCCA site and found really no info on car requirements.

I would like to do open road racing like IT.

What are the requirements; cage, fire system, tow hooks, fuel cell...

Inputs please?
Get the SCCA rulebook for ITE( IT Everything Else) which is a class in some regions like San Francisco. You will need all the safety gizmos for any racing SCCA, NASA ORR - down load the rules at SCCA.org . You could also run in GT1 but you will be a moving chicane without spending tons of ducats.
SF NASA has an enduroseries that you could run, call Jerry Kunzman and ask him the class structure...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Zpeedstr
Racer

Default SCCA Rules

You can run SCCA ITE, GT1, T1 if less than 5 years old, and also BP if 1990 or newer.

See the SCCA rule book. http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2007.pdf
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9.1.10.C.4.a a car may be eligible for ten (10) calender years of competition, beginning on January 1st of its model year. Cars that are five (5) calender years older than the current competition year shall not be eligible for positive competition adjustments.

Can anyone translate that second part into english for me? If my T1 car is 5-10 years old I don't get the T1 package? That seems nuts.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

no,
What they mean, is that once a model year is 5 years old, you supposedly can't ask for things like a bigger tire and wheel package, bigger radiator, brakes, etc, etc, etc. All the T1 cars can have a T1 kit.

And that 10 year rule is out the window now...sort of. They are doing it by model and not year of build, so the C5s will be eligible for T1 competition til 2014.

But remember, there's a waiver for everthing and exceptions to every rule!

My T1 car is for sale by the way after the runoffs this year!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

NASA ST1 or ST2 is your best choice. NO rules to get in your way (like T1) other than safety. Basically, weigh and dyno your car and slot into the proper power/weight class. You want aero....get it. You want big brakes....get it. You want 1000hp....get it, along with 1000lbs of lead

Actually, even 1000hp is OK, you just jump from ST (super touring) to SU (super unlimited).

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Classes

Quick Reply: Racing Classes