Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Status and plans for the Over1g-Racing team......

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Status and plans for the Over1g-Racing team......

Early this week Rhonda and I made the trek up the Phoenix Racing and spoke with Joe A. in depth about the condition of my car and plans on getting it back together. Although it seems a ways away, with the car in the condition it is in we came to the conclusion that the Run-offs is simply not in the cards this year. Even with the generous donations made from everyone on this forum it's just not something my team can overcome at this point in time. A couple of things come into play, the most worriesome is that fact that there may be underlying damage that won't show it's face until I run the car. I simply cannot roll the dice on that big of a gamble. Joe and I concluded that the best plan of attack would be to allow him to begin work on the car shortly after the Runoffs, get it together by mid winter and head south for a couple of light HPDE days to shake the car out and make sure there are no issues before the race season. This timeframe allows me to do a few things.

1. It allows me time to gather all the parts I need for as affordable as I can get them, stretching the donation money as far as possible for good cause. When I have saved the rest of the money needed for the repairs and all parts are in my hands I will bring them to Phoenix and the repairs will begin.

2. It allows me to use my Run-offs fund to compliment your donations in rebuilding the car, attending a couple of driving events and shaking it down so she is ready for the 2008 season.

3. It allows me time to figure out the best way I can think of to let everyone know how much your help is appreciated. That part is the surprise for all of you!

The damage to the car is extensive, 3 corners, 2 with heavy damage, and a bent frame rail on the drivers front corner. The rest of the frame seems ok but still needs to be looked over. Joe assured me it is fixable, it will take time and TLC though and he will have plenty of time to make things perfect after the Run-offs. This amount of damage is the kind I have tried to avoid for 2 years at the National level because it would take me out for a full season. With the forums help and everyones support, to include Guy P., I will only miss the 2007 Runoffs. I will be on track next year because of ALL OF YOU!!

Thank you to all!

Joe and Rhonda
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks Joe for the update. While I have not gotten to meet you or race with you, yet, I look forward to doing so next year.

I am going through my car in preparation for the run-offs and I should have some part that are in still good shape for you to use should you choose to avail that option. Most notably are the control arms. Mine are in good shape, I just wanted to have the newest and tightest bushings available on mine when I go to Topeka.

So if you want to save $600 for other parts, I can send my take-offs to you. Please advise after your car is torn down.

Fastest regards,

Oli Thordarson
T1 #22

Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea Joe, take your time and make sure that the car is put back together right. Not "slammed" back together half-hazardly to make run-offs only to waste your investment in attending by dealing with other issues that arise.....

I am overwhelmed by the support you are receiving via this forum....I am financially burdoned right now, but if there is a parts list of things that you require , I may be able to help in addition......My race car is consuming all extras right now gearing up for the NASA Nationals. Publish the parts that you will require.

We are all just glad that you are OK, Joe........The car will be repaired and you will be running again soon.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe & Rhonda,

Some thoughts...

#1. Can I have your paddock space?
#2. Phoenix Performance will put the car back together right the FIRST time, but I understand your caution.
#3. Despite the set back, you really have to feel good about the aftermath. The way people stepped up to help a brother (and sister) is amazing. And yes, a kudo to Guy P for showing up here and helping with the cause. I know that he did not intend for his August Saturday to end like it did, so this has been rough on him as well. I am not discounting his foul up, but he is a human and as such fallable.
#4. Why don't you come out to Topeka and party with us at the Run Offs? I could put you on my crew list.

One thing you failed to mention was the offer of the "community Corvette" from Phoenix Performance. I can personally vouch for the good mojo that that car carries, but understand your reluctance.

I am counting the days already to Summit Point (or is it Memphis?) when we get back at it on the track again. We will be waving to each other before the green flag just like a pair of kids...

The Corvette world is full of great people, and the best of them gather here...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Joe I havent meet you or Rhonda yet, but im sure I will. Im glad everyone on the forum joined forces for such a good cause. Keep it up.
Nando
Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Plan Joe
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Joe, good luck on the reassembly and execution of your plan.

I know how unplanned incidents can set the time and financial budget back a step or 2. This year after replacing a motor (expensive), repairing a smack into a tire wall (A PITA more than anything), and then the normal bi-weekly race prep, we discover just how fragile and tenuous things are from week to week.

Keep your head down, forge ahead, and do like me, and just keep telling yourself, "Man, this is fun!" The adrenaline rush and the smiles the successful weekends put on our faces are well worth most of the sacrifices.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sounds like a good, well thought out plan.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Good plan, you have my nod Joe!

clk199 (n8)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Best of luck Joe and Rhonda

I will be at VIR in November with CHIN and you if you just feel like doing some driving, you are more than welcome to take me out for a spin or two so you can pick up with me where you left off at CMP.
I have much to learn still.

My car is your car anytime Joe.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Blitz_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a plan, Joe. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Have you thought about renting a car for the runoffs?

Ralph
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Joe,
Good luck to you as you go through what I've been going through this year. My schedule and financial situation should allow me to at least qualify for the Runoffs next year. I hope to see you and Rhonda again next season.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Status and plans for the Over1g-Racing team......

Quick Reply: Status and plans for the Over1g-Racing team......