Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best 3 layer racing suit for under $1000.00

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default What is the best 3 layer racing suit for under $1000.00

Whats the best 3-layer race suit under $1000.oo? It seems there are so many options and no place to try them on.. some suits like nomex outer layers only, some full nomex (with the inners being woven) some dont list nomex at all and say fire retardant material (or have some generic name for it..)

BTW: this is for The One Lap of America.. only requirment I can find is it has a min. of 1 layer fire suit.. I havent seen any SFI req..

However, 3 layers have come strongly recommended by a few guy I know that run.. any wisdom is appreciated..

thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SFI Fire Rating

Many ppl ware two layerd suits with one layer of nomex underware

Safe Racer
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

why 2 layers plus undies over three layer and undies?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
why 2 layers plus undies over three layer and undies?
3 layer will be like a snowmobile suit - big time drag racing and bonneville land speed stuff - you will have a hard time moving - and it's hotter than blazes in there. The rating is all about how long you would be protected from fire! Most road racing os 2 layer - or even 1 layer with undies - more comfortable and easier to move in.

Safe racer is a great place to buy from - lots of different brands - and excellent prices - as well as quick delivery!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Sparco which was about 990 6 years ago. 3 layer and hot? Yes when it is 90* but in the car I don't notice it. I take the top off and tie arms around the waist. Under-ware is good as it will protect your suit against sweat. I even got use to a head sock. It keeps your helmet cleaner and keeps sweat from your eyes.

I got burned on my leg a 6 years ago on a construction site from cutting metal rebar with a gas cut off saw. Never happen in the previous 25 years. Burned 6 X 10 inch piece out of my Carhartt cotton pants. I thought just a few sparks and I kept cutting. Burned 4 X 8 inch piece of my leg just above my ankle. I pulled up my sock and kept working. Later I couldn't get the sock off the burn without great pain.

After that I have no problem sweating in my suit. I had a one layer POS which I never wore again. I cannot imagine my body burned in any major way. I was looking at 4x8 inches very small compared to what could happen. Now I have a huge scar on my leg as a reminder also. I would get no less than a 2 layer nomex ++ the long under-ware. Three is better. Some are treat fabric which may lose some fire retardation being cleaned. Look to see how the garment is to be cleaned also. Place here does mine for 12 bucks which is cheap.

Stitching, decorative thread patterns and colors has held up very well and suit still looks good even though I end up wrenching in it sometimes. Buy it big enough and you will have no problem moving around. You can take all your measurements at home then go to Simpson web site they did have a chart you can look at.

Long shot of being burned from what I have seen in HPDE over 9 years but it is not a Lotto you want to play in. Look at the ratings and even a heavy suit doesn't give you much time if you need aid getting out of the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto, what John says. 30, 40 minutes even an hour or 3 hours of sweating does not compare to being burned and dealing with healing not to mention scar tissue. A Cool Suit is a worthwhile addition to your car and will help driving comfort and combats mental and physical fatigue.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I think of just burning my finger welding or on a stove and that is enough for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
SFI Fire Rating

Many ppl ware two layerd suits with one layer of nomex underware

Safe Racer
I got my G Force 2 pc suit from www.racerwholesale.com like four yrs ago (looks like pricing is similar to saferracer's?), but haven't been wearing it at all 'cause it's not required. But after reading John's story maybe it's time to start again!!

And this may sound strange, but I have a racer/friend who was actually in a car that caught fire and the safety crew did not have proper fire suppression equipment (ie no water in the fire truck--yeah it was bad for his car). He had actually practiced getting himself out of his car quickly and was able to do so then. I personally think everyone should practice this at least a couple of times--things like releasing your belts quickly, how you would get out your window, etc. so you have a plan in an emergency.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

http://skin.health.ivillage.com/skinbasics/burns.cfm

Not much to read but I know more about burns than I did before I read it.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best 3 layer racing suit for under $1000.00

Quick Reply: What is the best 3 layer racing suit for under $1000.00