Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Component Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:12 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Brake Component Temps?

I'm rebuilding my suspension ('02 Z06, poly everywhere) and am cleaning up many of the pieces and painting some of them. Such as the exposed hub flanges when not running center caps, axle nut, rotor face, etc. I chose some 500* high temp engine paint, however now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 1,500* stuff.

What temps will these pieces reach? I have already done the rear parts, the fronts are next.

I mostly Auto-X the car out here in California, temps can be in the 11x's or as low as 40*. I also want to get back out and do more HPDE's.

I am running stock/Napa rotors and Porterfield R4S pads.

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waaaaaaaaay hotter than 500 degrees.

I got someone with an IR temp reader to check the rotors on my sti after a 25 minute session. the faces were 790 degrees, the centers were 500. This is on a stock car with stock brakes.

My vette can create enough heat to make the front rotors glow red hot.

IMO dont bother painting anything. its not worth it, the paint will flake off no matter how high of a temp rating it is.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will hang for a while in the axle nut area. Rotors forget about it. Go with 1500 for sure.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've seen 1400F rotor temps, but autocrossing wont get that hot
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Hmm, so now the issue would be stripping the paint off (and using what?) Or letting the paint stay on the rears and what would happen? Flake off and look ugly? Melt and ruin brake pads?

I guess I might look into those rotor "caps" to keep things looking pretty when not on the track, or maybe at least for Auto-X and on the trailer?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Forget the rotor caps too. Those are for the bling crowd.

besides after an event they will be so frick'n dirty and you will be so tired with a big on your face and you wont care what other ppl think
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Forget the rotor caps too. Those are for the bling crowd.

besides after an event they will be so frick'n dirty and you will be so tired with a big on your face and you wont care what other ppl think

It's not about other people... it is taking pride in one's own work/possessions. I like to keep my stuff clean and I can't stand a nice car in great condition having rusty parts showing...

So, it sounds like rotor caps for street/cruise use and rusty Napa rotors for auto-X and track duty.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a rust phobia with metal things I own Trouble is I have 800 scaffold frames and all the accessories and it is an endless battle. I painted my hubs with POR15.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZO SIC
So, it sounds like rotor caps for street/cruise use and rusty Napa rotors for auto-X and track duty.
Yup

Besides you will go though rotors so fast that rust does not accumulate too quickly. or just take a wire brush to the rusty hats.

New
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I just wipe a little anti-seize on that part after getting the rust off. VHT has a 1,500° paint, Summit has it. Make sure to bake it in correctly.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

I wonder if I could get the rotors zinc or cad plated???? The pads would "wipe" the plating off the surface that they touch and the rest of the rotor would stay "nice" then?

If I got to HPDE then I would burn through rotors fairly quickly, however I haven't been on track since '02 or '03. I've been Auto-Xing a ton, drag race occasionally and street drive infrequently.

Anti seize??? That stuff seems too liquidy and seems like it would melt and run all over... Even a thin film of it.

I guess I'll buy a new pair of Napa rotors and throw them on, take a wire wheel to the "new" rotors I just painted and keep as spares...

I need to get a set of the new "hotness" brake pads for track use. Supposed to stop better then PFC 01's not eat rotors, and last forever...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if I could get the rotors zinc or cad plated???? The pads would "wipe" the plating off the surface that they touch and the rest of the rotor would stay "nice" then?

If I got to HPDE then I would burn through rotors fairly quickly, however I haven't been on track since '02 or '03. I've been Auto-Xing a ton, drag race occasionally and street drive infrequently.

Anti seize??? That stuff seems too liquidy and seems like it would melt and run all over... Even a thin film of it.

I guess I'll buy a new pair of Napa rotors and throw them on, take a wire wheel to the "new" rotors I just painted and keep as spares...

I need to get a set of the new "hotness" brake pads for track use. Supposed to stop better then PFC 01's not eat rotors, and last forever...
On my Camaro I bought rotars that were CAD plated and like you mentioned the pads just cleaned of the swept area. The nice thing was the plating was in the cooling vanes and the cross-drill holes (back b4 I knew to go with blanks) and everything too so they didn't rust at all. I want to say they came from KVR or something!?! That was forever ago.

I just put Autozone blanks on the Z06, and they get ugly but do the job.

-TJ
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

'hotness' what are those???

PFC-01s or Wilwood H are my choices.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

GET brake ducts, that should be mandatory really..

I am cracking slotted rotors every 6~ 30min runs cause I was too much of a cheap skate and never setup mine.

You can't go wrong with too much cooling!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I've never seen anti-seize run, it gets dry and crumbles though. They very small amount needed on the metal to not cause rust isn't a problem. Rub it into the metal. Or try the paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Component Temps?

Quick Reply: Brake Component Temps?