Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Brake Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z51 Brake Pad Question

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with choosing brake pads for track use. I've been running the stock Z51 pads and have been happy with them so far. I track at WSIR and, for those who haven't been there, it is not a heavy brake use track. 2 or 3 hard but short brake zones and a couple "taps".

I used a set of HP Plus pads on my 3,900# TA for a whole year running on Kumhos (8 - 10 days).

I have 4 full days (5 - 25 minutes sessions per day) on the Z51 pads and Z51 Goodyears so far this fall but am switching to an R compound tire for my next event and figure I should look at my brake pad selection.

I was looking at the DTC-70s but dang those things are expensive! I'm not sure I really need those at WSIR. So, now I'm wondering if the HP Pluses might fit the bill at considerably less expense.

I guess my question is if the HP Pluses are an improvement over OEM Z51 pads?

TIA

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 z51 and I want to know also oh knowledgeable ones!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by pcervone
I'm trying to decide what I want to do with choosing brake pads for track use. I've been running the stock Z51 pads and have been happy with them so far. I track at WSIR and, for those who haven't been there, it is not a heavy brake use track. 2 or 3 hard but short brake zones and a couple "taps".
l
If you're happy with the stock Z51 pads then I'd be a little concerned that you wouldn't get enough heat into a DTC-70 or a Wilwood H kind of pad.

Maybe try Carbotech 10's in the front and 8s in the rear??
Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I have a set of 2008 Z51 pads that I just took off my car (along with many other parts also for sale) if you're interested...only 930 street miles - $200.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I have a set of 2008 Z51 pads that I just took off my car (along with many other parts also for sale) if you're interested...only 930 street miles - $200.
Thanks for the offer. Since no one has actually answered my question and I had good luck with the HP Plus pads before, I think I will try them at the track. I am actually going to run the non-Z51 pads on the street to avoid some of the brake dust.

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want your braking style, or an easier track on brakes, I guess. I've always had PFC 01 compound pads at Thunderhill. About 5 hours of track time and the front pads are done. '06 C6 Z51. I get roughly the same pad wear with Supercars or Toyo R888s. The three heaviest braking zones at Thunderhill (T10, T14, T1) are all pretty close together which may have something to do with it...
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I want your braking style, or an easier track on brakes, I guess. I've always had PFC 01 compound pads at Thunderhill. About 5 hours of track time and the front pads are done. '06 C6 Z51. I get roughly the same pad wear with Supercars or Toyo R888s. The three heaviest braking zones at Thunderhill (T10, T14, T1) are all pretty close together which may have something to do with it...
I am a bit of an "old man" on the track. I have more fun in the turns than flying down the straights and pounding the brakes. I run high 1:30's on the 2.5 mile track at Willow.

Here's a recent sample to give you some idea, nothing to brag about but fun :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDXrRhLF30
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

C5Z06 brake pads will fit just fine and are a bit more aggressive then the stock C6 Z51 pads
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
C5Z06 brake pads will fit just fine and are a bit more aggressive then the stock C6 Z51 pads
Thanks, I didn't think of that option. Do you happen to know how they match up with the HP Plus pads?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, I didn't think of that option. Do you happen to know how they match up with the HP Plus pads?
Much better. I ran though a set of HP S pads one day and a set of HP Plus pads on day two.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a set of HP Plus pads on my 3,900# TA for a whole year running on Kumhos (8 - 10 days).

I have 4 full days (5 - 25 minutes sessions per day) on the Z51 pads and Z51 Goodyears so far this fall but am switching to an R compound tire for my next event and figure I should look at my brake pad selection.

I was looking at the DTC-70s but dang those things are expensive! I'm not sure I really need those at WSIR. So, now I'm wondering if the HP Pluses might fit the bill at considerably less expense.

I guess my question is if the HP Pluses are an improvement over OEM Z51 pads?

TIA

Paul
ive run the c6z51 pads and i like them, very similar to the stock C5 Z06 pad. i also ran the hp plus pads and they held up a little longer and needed to be hit once hard to warm up and they were great!

i run khumo v710 slicks i just got some PFC01's and will run those in a month or so after these wear out. last event i had the Z51 on the back and the hawk hp plus on the front and that combination with my slicks was excellent! !!!! and cost effective

good luck! and Haul *** !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Brake Pad Question

Quick Reply: Z51 Brake Pad Question