Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can you build track time fast ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default how can you build track time fast ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

its so hard to get a lot of track time. 4- 20 min runs a day is slow to build up experience. i figure it is gonna take about 300 hours to be able to drive with the top drivers. 300 hrs /80 min = 225 day at one event a month = 18.75 years!!!!! AAAGGHH!!!!

Gotta be a better way to build up track time!

Any Brilliant ideas ?????
Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.. Drive more than one event a month?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
its so hard to get a lot of track time. 4- 20 min runs a day is slow to build up experience. i figure it is gonna take about 300 hours to be able to drive with the top drivers. 300 hrs /80 min = 225 day at one event a month = 18.75 years!!!!! AAAGGHH!!!!

Gotta be a better way to build up track time!

Any Brilliant ideas ?????
Move over here to the southeastern US. I live in Raleigh NC and lets see

VIR - 90min NW
Road Atlanta 6 hours SW
CMP 3.5 hours South
Roebling Road 6 hours south
Summit Point 6- hours North.
Sebring 13 hours S-Sw
Barbor 8 hours SW
Mid Ohio - 9 hours NW
Watkins Glen - 12 hours North

PLus the new tracks to open soon, in NC, Eastern VA, Northern Florida, and KY

There are so many tracks that you could get an event in EVERY weekend from Feb to DEC.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Move over here to the southeastern US. I live in Raleigh NC and lets see

VIR - 90min NW
Road Atlanta 6 hours SW
CMP 3.5 hours South
Roebling Road 6 hours south
Summit Point 6- hours North.
Sebring 13 hours S-Sw
Barbor 8 hours SW
Mid Ohio - 9 hours NW
Watkins Glen - 12 hours North

PLus the new tracks to open soon, in NC, Eastern VA, Northern Florida, and KY

There are so many tracks that you could get an event in EVERY weekend from Feb to DEC.
i guess i could by a trailer and go to california and nevada tracks. lotta travel time though

i guess thats the price you gotta pay
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Some tracks have Test And Tunes in the evenings were they only allow a dozen or so cars but it is a free-for-all for several hours. I've gotten as much if not slightly more track time at one of these sessions then during a Saturday or Sunday HPDE event.

Beware though, sometimes they may have limited emergency services available.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

who are you driving with that you only get 80 minutes/day? speedventures offers a bundle of time/weekend, they're not that far from you. speedventures.net.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Gump
who are you driving with that you only get 80 minutes/day? speedventures offers a bundle of time/weekend, they're not that far from you. speedventures.net.
yeah 6 hour drive so gotta stay overnight too

almost went Dec but it had heavy rain. was gonna be road track and autocross at same meet..too cool! run autocross between track times
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

See if your nearest tracks offer memberships and take the plunge. It's typically cheaper over the long run.

Of course the diehard will say look at the region of the country with the highest density of tracks and move to the center of them. THAT's the best way
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just checked the Sandia Motorsports Park rental rates. $75 for 2 hours during the week

Go for it

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/200...ntal_rates.pdf

Track Location:
West of Albequerque, NM
505-352-8888
Old 12-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can build quality time with autocrossing and a local indoor or outdoor go cart track
Old 12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i guess i could by a trailer and go to california and nevada tracks. lotta travel time though

i guess thats the price you gotta pay
I found that out when i started racing. Last year i had ~30 days on track, the year before I had ~25. Even then i need another ~170 days to be at "pro" level...

haha, I enjoy my track time, and a race car, truck and trailer were the best investments ever. I'd say a truck and trailer take at least two seconds off your lap time
Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I just checked the Sandia Motorsports Park rental rates. $75 for 2 hours during the week

Go for it

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/200...ntal_rates.pdf

Track Location:
West of Albequerque, NM
505-352-8888
very nice! 6 hours away..but not too bad
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
I found that out when i started racing. Last year i had ~30 days on track, the year before I had ~25. Even then i need another ~170 days to be at "pro" level...

haha, I enjoy my track time, and a race car, truck and trailer were the best investments ever. I'd say a truck and trailer take at least two seconds off your lap time
yup i think you got the right idea there!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:52 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't mention cost, except for travel. I did 24-30 days on track,
both my car and classes in school cars for my first 3 years on track.
The professional input from going to a real school is well worth the
money early on, not to mention getting in different hardware that will
let you learn additional techniques. However, as I started to pick up
speed I found that entry fees were the least of the issue. Tires, pads
other maintenance easily cost double what I was paying to enter events.

The test and tune option is great if you can find a little used track, not
many exist, but at Reno-Fernley I've run with from 2 to 8 cars and no
support folks for half a day and gotten as much track time as my car
will take. Street cars, not set up for real racing have limits!
Randy
Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StArrow68
You didn't mention cost, except for travel. I did 24-30 days on track,
both my car and classes in school cars for my first 3 years on track.
The professional input from going to a real school is well worth the
money early on, not to mention getting in different hardware that will
let you learn additional techniques. However, as I started to pick up
speed I found that entry fees were the least of the issue. Tires, pads
other maintenance easily cost double what I was paying to enter events.

The test and tune option is great if you can find a little used track, not
many exist, but at Reno-Fernley I've run with from 2 to 8 cars and no
support folks for half a day and gotten as much track time as my car
will take. Street cars, not set up for real racing have limits!
Randy
nice!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Seat Time W/O Instruction Just Wears Out Your Wallet

Please don't take offense, but I've been in your shoes many decades ago when SCCA club racing in between deployments with my "regular" job - the U. S. Navy.

I don't recommend trying to compile as much track time as possible without tempering the track time with instruction from driving schools, book learnin', and personal instructors. A mediocre driver with 10K miles of track time is still a mediocre driver.

Depending upon your skill level, I would recommend road racing schools such as Skip Barber as well as auto-xing schools by Evolution Performance Driving. Skip Barber provides excellent instruction with telemetric data feedback while Evolution gives you personal instruction with National Championship caliber instructors on the essentials of auto-xing and car control.

Books have their place in your training too. They provide instruction and time to absorb the information before your next track day. I personally like Carroll Smith, Skip Barber, and Ross Bentley for their writing styles and the quality of information they try to impart. (If you can find Alan Johnson's book on driving, it's worth reading also for a beginning driver because he really distills the information to the absolute minimum to get a novice driver out on the track and on the road to winning.)

Finally, data metrics compiled while driving are easy to purchase now. (I have both an old g-analyst and geez cube that I use to track my progress or lack of it!) Be sure to keep track of your progress as you accumulate seat time
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Please don't take offense, but I've been in your shoes many decades ago when SCCA club racing in between deployments with my "regular" job - the U. S. Navy.

I don't recommend trying to compile as much track time as possible without tempering the track time with instruction from driving schools, book learnin', and personal instructors. A mediocre driver with 10K miles of track time is still a mediocre driver.

Depending upon your skill level, I would recommend road racing schools such as Skip Barber as well as auto-xing schools by Evolution Performance Driving. Skip Barber provides excellent instruction with telemetric data feedback while Evolution gives you personal instruction with National Championship caliber instructors on the essentials of auto-xing and car control.

Books have their place in your training too. They provide instruction and time to absorb the information before your next track day. I personally like Carroll Smith, Skip Barber, and Ross Bentley for their writing styles and the quality of information they try to impart. (If you can find Alan Johnson's book on driving, it's worth reading also for a beginning driver because he really distills the information to the absolute minimum to get a novice driver out on the track and on the road to winning.)

Finally, data metrics compiled while driving are easy to purchase now. (I have both an old g-analyst and geez cube that I use to track my progress or lack of it!) Be sure to keep track of your progress as you accumulate seat time

Great advice! Studying and enrolling in driver courses mentioned above will definitely improve your driver skills so you can make your HPDE track time more worthwhile focusing on improving technique vs. just adding miles and time. Since you live in Arizona, I recommend also trying Spring Mountain Diving School and driving their Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To how can you build track time fast ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 AM
floor it
Racer

Default come to Henry Gilberts lapping day

Henry is going to have a lapping day at Putnam Park near Indianapolis
next May the week befor the indianapolis 500. There is only going to be 25 cars. He is expecting just 2 groups 25min on 25min off all day. That is a lot of track time.

There is also going to be a 2 day school the next 2 days. Come on out. http://www.sportscardrivingexperience.com/

Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
floor it
Racer

Default check this thread for lapping day and school

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1861217
Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
JaxVette
Instructor

Default Improve Skills W/Seat Time

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber

The advice above is right on the money. While building track time/seat time, get all the instruction you can from good instructors at different tracks. When you get to that point in your skill level and experience that you can become an instructor, do it. Myself and our "Over The Hill" Corvette Instructor's gang have learned more about driving on racetracks sitting in the right seat, than I would have ever believed!

As a group we did about 60 track days this year. Last year I logged 80 days. But, regardless of the track time, when we believe we are having issues at a certain place on the track, we'll ask each other to ride along and give some "instruction" on how to remedy the situation, or improve on that section of the track.

No matter how much track/seat time you get, there's always room for improvement and there's always somebody that can show you the way to improve. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll progress as rapidly as you'd like. Now get out there and have some fun!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: how can you build track time fast ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!