Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best DOT Tire for Time Trials

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Best DOT Tire for Time Trials

What would be the fastest for between 4-8 laps per session, but still DOT. I'm going to keep a DOT slick and a NON DOT slick for time trials this year since I can run either and stay in TTU. I'm going with yokohamas for the NON DOT, trying to decide what would get me the best times for the DOT's. The R1's got the nod for being faster than R6's, but not sure if the same speed as the A6.

Again these are short stints because we are sure to have a short session or catch lap traffic before we can get more laps than that.

A6
R1
V710
Shaved R888
Shaved A048 (?)

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-30-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help you with the best, but I can help you in that the R888, A048 and RA-1 are not in the same class as the other DOT-R tires you've listed.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Can't help you with the best, but I can help you in that the R888, A048 and RA-1 are not in the same class as the other DOT-R tires you've listed.
I figured as much, wish that Hankook Z214 tire was available in more sizes, I've heard some good things about it. Just want to explore my options before time trial season starts. I was sold on the A6 until I heard some good stuff on the V710 and R1.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Heavy............Arent you a Porsche guy looking to beat on Corvettes in your area ?????
Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Hey Heavy............Arent you a Porsche guy looking to beat on Corvettes in your area ?????
He has been known too - but he also plays nice.....
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

HAHA, nice try at a callout but I dont talk any more trash than what is seen here.

Am I supposed to be embarrased?

I'm also out to beat GT3's including cupcars, and Vipers and Evo's and STI's and whoever else isnt in MY car, and have stated that too.

I know too many corvette guys, not to mention owning one for petty childish "telling on you" games.

Go try that on someone else.

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-31-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

V710's are pretty good. I have run several sets for auto-x, but I think the A6 will be the fastest. Note: the A6 is an auto-x tire, and it heats and wears quickly. It will be the fastest IMO, but it definitely won't last the longest.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mojave
V710's are pretty good. I have run several sets for auto-x, but I think the A6 will be the fastest. Note: the A6 is an auto-x tire, and it heats and wears quickly. It will be the fastest IMO, but it definitely won't last the longest.

Yeah, I figured, but I'd only be using it for short sessions which is why I'm high on them, they kind of fit my Time trialing style, I do as many clean laps as I can get and get off the track, not to mention TT sessions are only 15 minutes anyways, 3+ of which we use on the warmup lap so we generally only get and average of about 5 good laps per session, then I'm off. So about 15-20 laps per day 30-40 per weekend.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:34 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by heavychevy
HAHA, nice try at a callout but I dont talk any more trash than what is seen here.

Am I supposed to be embarrased?

I'm also out to beat GT3's including cupcars, and Vipers and Evo's and STI's and whoever else isnt in MY car, and have stated that too.

I know too many corvette guys, not to mention owning one for petty childish "telling on you" games.

Go try that on someone else.

You'd certainly know if I really called you "out"............

Just making sure that every can spot the wolf in sheeps clothing.......And as far as "trash" talk goes, I try not to indulge, at least not with people I do not know.

The fact that you do own a Corvette (proper names should always be capitalized ) does make things better. Which variety do you own ????

I may be down to Road Atlanta in March with you to play "games" in TTU, if my car is completed on time ( alot to do to be able to keep up with those Porsches). I have never been to Road Atlanta so maybe you can show me the way.

And now to help and answer your question, the Hoosier A6 is the tire to be on to this date for the short blasts in TT and the tire to be on in a 30 minute road race if you have enough periodic restraint . Sometimes when it is hot I will run the R6 and can go really fast on that tire without any restraint. The R6 will survive no matter what you throw at it. It likes to be driven "angry". The A6 does not like to be driven "angry" for extended periods of time, but if you plan you run correctly the A6 loves "angry" briefly and will reward you with some stupid-fast times.

I have been fast on the 710's, but not as fast as the Hoosier.......The BFG is too much of a knife edge tire from what I have understood and witnessed by others (unforgiving). The Yoks and the Toyos are probably good DE tires , but not TT tires. If they fired-off faster they would probably be better, but since making the best of unobstructed laps is paramount, they take too long to come up to temps for a TTU car getting 2-3 clean laps in at the beginning of the session.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I may be down to Road Atlanta in March with you to play "games" in TTU, if my car is completed on time ( alot to do to be able to keep up with those Porsches). I have never been to Road Atlanta so maybe you can show me the way.

And now to help and answer your question, the Hoosier A6 is the tire to be on to this date for the short blasts in TT and the tire to be on in a 30 minute road race if you have enough periodic restraint . Sometimes when it is hot I will run the R6 and can go really fast on that tire without any restraint. The R6 will survive no matter what you throw at it. It likes to be driven "angry". The A6 does not like to be driven "angry" for extended periods of time, but if you plan you run correctly the A6 loves "angry" briefly and will reward you with some stupid-fast times.

I have been fast on the 710's, but not as fast as the Hoosier.......The BFG is too much of a knife edge tire from what I have understood and witnessed by others (unforgiving). The Yoks and the Toyos are probably good DE tires , but not TT tires. If they fired-off faster they would probably be better, but since making the best of unobstructed laps is paramount, they take too long to come up to temps for a TTU car getting 2-3 clean laps in at the beginning of the session.
Heavychevy - this is really good tire advice - Danny smoked them at Nationals in TTU - on A6s I believe.

Driving a tire "angry" - I really like that - Based on my son's and my temperment maybe the R6s would be better for us - financially...

Danny hope you make it to Road Atlanta in March - you will have a blast at the track...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

You'd certainly know if I really called you "out"............

Just making sure that every can spot the wolf in sheeps clothing.......And as far as "trash" talk goes, I try not to indulge, at least not with people I do not know.

The fact that you do own a Corvette (proper names should always be capitalized ) does make things better. Which variety do you own ????

I think you have me all wrong. I'm far from a wolf in sheeps clothing as I love corvettes too, and have been invited to co-drive PBOC in guess what, (a Z06), against guess what (Porsches), and guess what my goal will be then. I think you know already.

I have a C5 coupe, which I had the hardest time trying to decide if I wanted to go road race or drag race with. So I sent it off to MTI (houston) for big hp mods (427, Turbos), and in the 6 MONTHS it was gone I developed a love for road racing after going my first time, but it was a little late for the vette which I had planned to kill the Porsches with, and you can go back and check my posts on that too, it was a big goal of mine. Well long story short, MTI screwed up my car, and it was enough trouble getting it to run not to mention road racing, and I ended up buying a Porsche, so my goals changed. Trust me, if my C5 wasnt such a big problem, Id have the same passion for beating Porsches as I do beating everything else in my Porsche, I'm just playing the cards I was dealt.

As far as challenges, I'm not the one to back down or be scared by any means, in fact, I'm prepering my car to attempt to beat your national NASA record, but I want RA and Sebring to go along with my barber record first. I am no slouch so throwing weight around will get you nowhere with me , but you seem to be a cool guy so that can be water under the bridge. I've gotten challenged by pro racers as well (who may end up in TTU as well) And as for Road Atlanta, you'll find me to be as helpful and cool of a guy that you'll meet, and I LOVE the competition, I've done it my whole life. But unfortunately I wont be at the March NASA event because I'm going to VIR, but you can best beleive that current record, if not already, will be changed when I get back. But I have a wealth of info on the track that I would gladly share with you as I have with other guys here.

I look forward to seeing one of the guys I've read so much about on the track in person, if you are coming to Road Atlanta, and need any help with anything, let me know, I have traqmate files and track notes that I've shared with others here that can make your learning the track a lot quicker.

And thanks for the advise on the tires, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hey heavy, you gonna be as suprised if Danny can outrun a GT3 the same way you were surprised at Jody for "being able to stay close"? Even if it is an almighty 997 GT3.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 AM
asp04
Advanced

Default mudslinging by any other name is still mudslinging

Boy, do I ever wish that I was fast. I would love to get in on this stuff. As it is, I will never be recognized as a record holder until they start keeping stats in racing like they do for round ball sports. Then maybe I could get the record for the most uncompetitive laps in a row, when the sky was overcast, in the final quarter, on the final game of the final season at the old track, for racers in white open faced helmets.
Hey, good news, my stat guy just got back to me, I'm presently 3rd on that all time list. R. Ford
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I dont belive I was throwing wieght around or challenging anyone, as I typically dont do that either.....speak softly , carry big stick, thats how I try to conduct myself, and this will get you alot further in this world. This kind of activity is the same that I have seen on the SE NASA board with the same screen name and I dont care to continue this kind of smack talk......

I may or may not come to Atlanta, as I said it depends on the cars state. But if I do I will not be coming there to beat you, I will be coming to have fun and see just how fast the 'ole blue rocket will go at that facility. I have no data for that track, but I am just a dumb 'ole autocrosser so I am a very quick study. I'll know where I want car placemement before I get there and will just implement and grow into my *****. Alot like my first ever trip to Mid-Ohio last year.

I fully intend on the Mid-Ohio TTU record droping significantly this season, as my car is going under a transformation. I think to be competitve nationally in TTU this year, we will have to be as fast as WCGT cars...Thats my plan, seems reasonable. (wish I had thier budget).

Look forward to meeting you and seeing that beautiful Porsche of yours. We have some GT3's uphere I will play with in the meantime ( as well as Vipers, Evo's, STI's, Nobles, AIX'ers,

How does Reese *** compare to others times down there, I believe he holds the TTU record doesn't he ???
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

I think you have me all wrong. I'm far from a wolf in sheeps clothing as I love corvettes too, and have been invited to co-drive PBOC in guess what, (a Z06), against guess what (Porsches), and guess what my goal will be then. I think you know already.

I have a C5 coupe, which I had the hardest time trying to decide if I wanted to go road race or drag race with. So I sent it off to MTI (houston) for big hp mods (427, Turbos), and in the 6 MONTHS it was gone I developed a love for road racing after going my first time, but it was a little late for the vette which I had planned to kill the Porsches with, and you can go back and check my posts on that too, it was a big goal of mine. Well long story short, MTI screwed up my car, and it was enough trouble getting it to run not to mention road racing, and I ended up buying a Porsche, so my goals changed. Trust me, if my C5 wasnt such a big problem, Id have the same passion for beating Porsches as I do beating everything else in my Porsche, I'm just playing the cards I was dealt.

As far as challenges, I'm not the one to back down or be scared by any means, in fact, I'm prepering my car to attempt to beat your national NASA record, but I want RA and Sebring to go along with my barber record first. I am no slouch so throwing weight around will get you nowhere with me , but you seem to be a cool guy so that can be water under the bridge. I've gotten challenged by pro racers as well (who may end up in TTU as well) And as for Road Atlanta, you'll find me to be as helpful and cool of a guy that you'll meet, and I LOVE the competition, I've done it my whole life. But unfortunately I wont be at the March NASA event because I'm going to VIR, but you can best beleive that current record, if not already, will be changed when I get back. But I have a wealth of info on the track that I would gladly share with you as I have with other guys here.

I look forward to seeing one of the guys I've read so much about on the track in person, if you are coming to Road Atlanta, and need any help with anything, let me know, I have traqmate files and track notes that I've shared with others here that can make your learning the track a lot quicker.

And thanks for the advise on the tires, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Danny, this guy needs a lesson in HUMILITY and you are just the guy to do it. I just wish I could be at RA to see you do it.

Good luck and take no prisioners.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

*ahem* back on topic...

I sure see lots of A6 tires for sale with just a couple of heat cycles. That would imply that folks are using them for something like a time trial or a qualifying session. I found that my laps with those are real fast; faster than the R6 by a bit. I don't think I'm anywhere near the edge though; still taking the daily driver to the track. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yakisoba
*ahem* back on topic...

I sure see lots of A6 tires for sale with just a couple of heat cycles. That would imply that folks are using them for something like a time trial or a qualifying session. I found that my laps with those are real fast; faster than the R6 by a bit. I don't think I'm anywhere near the edge though; still taking the daily driver to the track. Good luck and stay safe.

The Hoosiers or the Kumho's are never quite as fast as they were when they were new. The A6's that are being sold with one or two heat cycles are typically the T1 guys that always want that fresh tire advantage. Not that the tires are now "slow" by any means, they just want fresh ones for speed , or that the tires will not last them another 30 minute session for them. I still use my A6's until I cant make it through another session potentially. Brand spanking new ones may be worth .3-.4 sec a lap over ones with alot of cycles. Depending on the surface and ambient temp , I can go as fast on R6's as A6's, it just takes longer to get the tire up to proper temperatures.

Get notified of new replies

To Best DOT Tire for Time Trials

Old 12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

The Hoosiers or the Kumho's are never quite as fast as they were when they were new. The A6's that are being sold with one or two heat cycles are typically the T1 guys that always want that fresh tire advantage. Not that the tires are now "slow" by any means, they just want fresh ones for speed , or that the tires will not last them another 30 minute session for them. I still use my A6's until I cant make it through another session potentially. Brand spanking new ones may be worth .3-.4 sec a lap over ones with alot of cycles. Depending on the surface and ambient temp , I can go as fast on R6's as A6's, it just takes longer to get the tire up to proper temperatures.
Good to know. I will remember, and drive on what I can get! Many thanks.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

in fact, I'm prepering my car to attempt to beat your national NASA record, but I want RA and Sebring to go along with my barber record first. I am no slouch so throwing weight around will get you nowhere with me
I don't know how the hell I missed that before.

Thanks my somewhat crappy day just got alot better after laughing for 10 minutes. This I gotta see. I'm thinking you won't be within 5 seconds of him on a 2 mile or longer course. But hey my 4 year old thinks she can do anything too.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SE NASA TT Records

http://nasa-tt.com/Southeast_Track_Records

Quick Reply: Best DOT Tire for Time Trials