Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Unthinkable Has Happened To Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default The Unthinkable Has Happened To Me

I discovered HPDE's throught the NCM in 2005 at CMP and was instantly hooked. I started in a 1986 C4 with the dreaded 4+3. I decided rather than mod the C4 I would just buy a car that started out where I wanted the 86 to end up. I purchased a 2000 Nassau Blue Metallic Coupe with Z51, MN6, HUD and sport seats. It was everything I wanted. It took a long time to become comfortable on the track in the car but it happened. I started upgrading brakes and tires and had plans to get harnesses and the necessary saftey equiptment soon. Plans to shoot for instructor sometime in the future. I thought if I could share my passion and love for performance driving with someone it would just enhance the experience.

As some of you know I am an over the road truck driver. I recieved a phone call Saturday that changed my life. My car while parked in its nice safe place was hit (extremely hard) by an non licensed, uninsured 21 year old woman that was running late for work. She left 143 feet of skid marks before impating with my car. The car then moved left into the coupler of my trailer which imapled the driver's door. This resulted in the dash being tore up. Pics below. I have spoken with my insurance company and they are assessing the damage. I will know more on Wednesday. there will be no out of pocket expenses to me and the most the LEO could do to her was write a wreckless ticket as the incident was on private property.

What finally stopped her

The offending vehicle

I have a few questions from the instructor types on this forum. I have been offered the use of a 96 LT4 for track use. I have never tracked this car (It has been on the track) and I am signed up for HPDE3 with NASA. Should I stick with 3 or drop to 2 because of the unfamiliarity of the car? I have stickies that I can bolt on this car and get good brakes. Should I just blow off a few events to get a car that I am somewhat familiar with? The plan right now is if the car is totalled I will be in the market for a C5 Z06. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Not looking for sympathy just sharing and have a few questions.

Bob
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you been in hpde 3 before? familiarity with the track?

I'd say if youre comfortable with HPDE 3's pass anywhere style (like youve done it several times, its second nature to you), then dont worry about it. Just take it easy in the C4.

If its supposed to be your first time in 3, or your first time at the track, I'd drop down to 2 just to make sure nothing unfortunate happens.

Other than that, get yourself back on track, it'll make you feel better.

oh, and when i first opened this thread, i thought it was going to be about an on track incident. at least this way you wont be out any money
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

that chick needs the "SHOCKER!". WTF is wrong with people ?

There will be another.. have no fear!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i thought Lou / LGM picked you as his other driver Sorry about your accident but looks like no frame damage so that is good. Hope it all works out well for you!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

**** man that sucks.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Damn Bob............at least you were not around it
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn Bob- things like that just boil me. and believe in GLOCK or COLT Justice. J/K kinda / kinda NOT

If you have the use of a car, do it. It is lots of fun driving other cars on the track. ( just take it easy a bit)
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you have the use of a car, do it. It is lots of fun driving other cars on the track. ( just take it easy a bit)
as we just discussed
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find driving others cars nerve racking, damaging my car is one thing, damaging someone else's....ouch.

Speaking of ouch......this is the ancient Aztec symbol for bad women drivers.

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 01-15-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ hahah at the shocker being thrown on the corvetteforum
Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wallyman424

I'd say if youre comfortable with HPDE 3's pass anywhere style (like youve done it several times, its second nature to you), then dont worry about it. Just take it easy in the C4.

If its supposed to be your first time in 3, or your first time at the track, I'd drop down to 2 just to make sure nothing unfortunate happens.

oh, and when i first opened this thread, i thought it was going to be about an on track incident. at least this way you wont be out any money

I agree with wally, if you are fine with the track and HPDE 3 is second nature to you, it will take you 1-2 sessions to sort out that car. After that you be fine. However, if you dont know the track or HPDE3, 2 might be a better option. As for going or not... ARE YOU CRAZY! of course you should go!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Thanks for the responses. It will be my first time in 3 but I am familiar with the track. Its VIR full with NASA in Feb. Hmmm..much to ponder

Bob
Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Thanks for the responses. It will be my first time in 3 but I am familiar with the track. Its VIR full with NASA in Feb. Hmmm..much to ponder

Bob
that really sucks and sorry that happened.

I used to run an LT4 and really enjoyed it. In some ways because it's not as stiff as a C5 you actually get more feel from the car and I think you'll be fine driving it.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That does suck! I am sorry Bob that this happened....

Good luck on getting everything sorted out....

Adam Boca
Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your car, Bob....I'm sure you'll be in another one soon! It really sucks that it was needlessly taken out by some girl running late for work.

My last Vette was a '96 LT4. It had a nice smooth torque curve, was easy to drive, but did not have the Z51 option......and did not handle nearly as well as my C5 Z06. I could probably make the transition between these two cars fairly quickly, as they are "similar enough", but you'll need to decide for yourself.

HPDE3 was a very slow group last year at VIR, fwiw, compared to the other instructor/advanced groups I ran in '07. This could be good and bad for you....the pace was slow (but faster than HPDE2), but there were also more cars than most of the other events I ran, more traffic, more passing.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424

no way...those guy in level 2 are dangerous!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
JaxVette
Instructor

Default HPDE 2 or 3

Bob,

Sorry about the damage to your car. Always a bite to be gone, have your car parked where it's "safe" and have that happen. Been there, done that! Not good.

Now, if your skill level has you in HPDE 3, then you belong in HPDE 3. You don't move from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3 based on the automobile you buy or trade. It's your driving skill level, your situational awareness level, etc. If you're going to drive a C4 rather than your C5, then spend a session or two driving easier than you did in your C5 until you learn the characteristics of that particular car. But, drive in the HPDE group you're supposed to be in.

You'll see pretty quick that your C5 was a lot easier to drive fast than a C4. You'll have new "respect" for me after you do that. Ha Ha!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To The Unthinkable Has Happened To Me

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you considered buying the car back from the insurance company?

Someone here might be able to PRIVATELY give you an informed opinion
about your options with the car in its current state.

Who knows?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Have you considered buying the car back from the insurance company?

Someone here might be able to PRIVATELY give you an informed opinion
about your options with the car in its current state.

Who knows?

I agree.
Buy it back & make a track car out of it.
IMO from the pics, it is totaled.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Ouch... at least I smashed mine on the track... and all by myself. Good news for you is that you weren't hurt and your insurance will probably cover the loss and good C5s are rather plentiful. Time to upgrade to a used C5 z06.

Hope you get back on the track one way or another soon.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Quick Reply: The Unthinkable Has Happened To Me