Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads for my DD

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
christian79
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads for my DD

I have a 01 Coupe. I use it a my DD for 9 months out of the year and I need some new pads and possibly rotors. I bought the car in Feb of 06 with 46k and I now have 83k on the odometer. I guess I never noticed how much my brakes have faded since I down shift to slow down, but I had to brake hard one day and lets just say a few more feet and I was toast. Also the rotors now have a blue tint to them after a trip through southern Ohio. I can not afford the upgraded Stoptech or Brembo kits so I will have to use what GM gave me. Any recommendations as to what pads to get. I would rather stop fast and clean more so I guess ceramics are out. Also does the blue tint mean that turning the rotors is out also. BTW I have NO peddle vibration so they are not warped. They are drilled and slotted from the previous owner.

Thanks Again

Christian79
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Blue tinted rotors means the brakes were used the way they were designed to be used, HARD. IF there are no cracks leave the rotors on

Pads, the Stock GM Z06 pads.

Change to FRESH DOT 4 brake fluid. That will firm up that brake peddle.

New brake fluid needs to be done before each track or autocross event, and at least once a year on a DD, IMO.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Christian,

One other thing to remember: brakes and tires don't work as well in the cold as in the warmer seasons. If your pads have less than a 1/4" thickness left, I'd look for replacements. Thicker than that, you can go a bit further.

When looking for replacement pads, if you're basically happy with the stock brake capability, then check out PFC or Hawk OE replacement pads. Others are good as well, I just don't know anything about them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turning your rotors can cost nearly as much as buying new ones from NAPA or Autozone. You would probably like the Hawk-S pads if you are not tracking.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Blue tinted rotors means the brakes were used the way they were designed to be used, HARD. IF there are no cracks leave the rotors on

Pads, the Stock GM Z06 pads.

Change to FRESH DOT 4 brake fluid. That will firm up that brake peddle.

New brake fluid needs to be done before each track or autocross event, and at least once a year on a DD, IMO.
Good advice.

If you are just using it as a DD, then you can't do much better than plain ole stock equipment. Fluid change is important as you might have the original fluid and it will probabley have water in it which leads to softness in the pedal.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might add that using the engine to slow down is not what I would do. Use the brakes for what they are designed to do. Save the motor and clutch.

JMHO your mileage may vary

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads for my DD

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for my DD