Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing tires and stock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default racing tires and stock brakes

I've read a few post that stated it is a NO NO to use stock pads and rotors on a C6Z06 with a track tire such as Hoosier R6's. It has been stated to use a BBK. Can anyone explain why, thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

you can use the stock brakes for sure. just not the stock pads. with R6's youve got a whole hell of a lot more grip and you need an appropriate pad to deal with that.

stockers will probably fade into oblivion within a lap or two.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:16 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good ? Can we get afew more opinions b/c i hope the 1st is not true.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of guys use the Stock PBR C6Z06 brakes with Hoosiers. Not stock pads though

Hawk DTC-70 front and DTC-60 rear or another option are the Carbotech XP-12 front and XP10 rear. There is a Cobalt single pad option as well.

and not all BBKs are the same nor stop better. Most BBKs are there to help equipment last longer, not always stop better. In some cases they do stop better, but not always.

the OTHER option is to change your driving style. Brake a little sooner, and carry more momentum though the corners. Many times this is better then Mash the gas then stomp on the brake peddle,

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-16-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

As AU N EGL said you can adapt your driving style to manage your equipment. It can be pads, tires, cooling or any number of conditions that require watching.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Making sure that I got this right. Stock caliper OK, Cobalt GTS single pads OK with OEM rotors, DBA 4000 or coleman rotors OK all with R6 tires OK. Just stay away from stock pads
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Anyone have any feedback on the Cobalt singe pad?
You would hope they last longer and brake better then the OEM pads.

John
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Making sure that I got this right. Stock caliper OK, Cobalt GTS single pads OK with OEM rotors, DBA 4000 or coleman rotors OK all with R6 tires OK. Just stay away from stock pads
yeah. i'll throw this in there too. if youre at the point where youre using R6's you should already know the limits of the stock pads.

just playing the devils advocate here.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

My intention is to use street tires for the street and hoosier R6's for the track. I just wanted to check in with you guys first about the pad, rotor and tire combination for the track. I've been using street tires,oem pads and rotors at HPDE's.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My intention is to use street tires for the street and hoosier R6's for the track. I just wanted to check in with you guys first about the pad, rotor and tire combination for the track. I've been using street tires,oem pads and rotors at HPDE's.
Odds are if you are ready to move to R6 compound for a tire, then your are also ready to step up the compound of brake pad you use which will improve your tracking sessions. I agree that stock pads arent able to stand up to the added traction of the new tire. I think they are good for the street and beginning HPDE drivers, but once you start learning car craft and improve your driving skills, the consumables can also be improved.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

get some upgraded pads you will wish you would have bought them long ago
Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Lots of guys use the Stock PBR C6Z06 brakes with Hoosiers. Not stock pads though

Hawk DTC-70 front and DTC-60 rear or another option are the Carbotech XP-12 front and XP10 rear. There is a Cobalt single pad option as well.

and not all BBKs are the same nor stop better. Most BBKs are there to help equipment last longer, not always stop better. In some cases they do stop better, but not always.

the OTHER option is to change your driving style. Brake a little sooner, and carry more momentum though the corners. Many times this is better then Mash the gas then stomp on the brake peddle,
are they using hawk dtc70 and 60 with stock C6Z06 rotors?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

are they using hawk dtc70 and 60 with stock C6Z06 rotors?
Yes somewhat the DBA one piece rotor is more popular.

any drilled rotor wont last very long if you are a very hard and late braker.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Corvettes eat drilled rotors. They're really a cosmetic item and won't hold up at the track. H*ll, I even cracked a rear drilled rotor.

Tires and brakes are really two separate upgrades. You can do both at the same time, or you can do one at a time. It all depends on how much money you have to spend.

btw - If you have a problem with brake dust on your wheels you won't be happy with race pads. I know that's silly but you would be surprised how many people get upset with brake dust at HPDEs. Go figure.

Richard Newton
Ultimate Garage Handbook
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

what is the difference of coefficient of fiction between hoosier R6's and michelin PS2 or goodyear emt's and how does it effect the stock brakes
Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
Anyone have any feedback on the Cobalt singe pad?
You would hope they last longer and brake better then the OEM pads.

John

No one using the Cobalt single pads? They seem like a good idea with more surface area but I hate to order them and find out they $uck.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbotech also has the single pad option.

Performance Friction also makes a very nice rotor for the C6Z.

Get notified of new replies

To racing tires and stock brakes

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is the difference of coefficient of fiction between hoosier R6's and michelin PS2 or goodyear emt's and how does it effect the stock brakes
depends who's driving
Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the difference of coefficient of friction between hoosier R6's and michelin PS2 or goodyear emt's and how does it effect the stock brakes
I am guessing that for a Corvette without downforce, R6's would be conservatively around 1.15 G's in braking, I am also guessing that the EMT's are around .95 G's in braking; that being the case, it would be
(1.15-.95)/.95 or 21% greater braking force that is possible if the brakes are utilized at max efficiency. The greater braking force, the greater energy created in the braking system, hence greater heat generated by the pads thru friction, hence greater likelihood of brake fade with stock pads as you exceed their thermal design limits. The racing pads will have a higher operating temperature and a higher coefficient of friction to develop even greater braking force.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

OK, here's what I have gleaned after talking to a lot of people, and doing a few hpde's myself. Definitely want upgraded brakes when moving to r6's. Problem is, stock rotors will crack and possibly break when you go to high friction pads. Left front rotor is especially suspect as the cooling veins are turning the wrong way. GM thought they could just flip right front rotor over and use on left wheel, but that puts everything backwards. A broken rotor can throw the car completely off the track and into who knows what. I wouldn't recommend running without new rotors if you are going to better pads. For what its worth. Jerry

Quick Reply: racing tires and stock brakes