Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Diesel Dually is the best???
Chevy Duramax Diesel
83.33%
Dodge Diesel
5.56%
Ford Diesel
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Dually Pick-up trucks...Chevy, Dodge, Ford???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dually Pick-up trucks...Chevy, Dodge, Ford???

Which one is better and why???

Chevy Duramax Diesel, Dodge Diesel Dually, or Ford Diesle Dually

(Please give GOOD feedback with info to back-up your argument)!!!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Spinner_89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to depend on what your using it for, and how you're using it, and what you like...

The Duramax is Powerfull & Quite, and now has been out on the market long enough to see that servicing them is not a nightmare once they're off warrantee.
The Cummins is legendary for reliability and good power (especially once chipped, etc.) however the Dodges are also notorious for having the cab's litterally "rattle appart"
The Powerstroke is a good work-horse, made in a joint effort with Navistar (International) and the Blue Oval Group. Some have had issues with an oil o-ring seal on the oil-rail, more issues with cold weather and repeated cold starts. Good unit. Not as loud as the Cummins, but not nearly as quite as the Duramax. Also the Ford has a much more "Truck Like" suspension and ride. Doesn't seem to be as refined as the Chevy/GMC.
That being said - the oil patch is full of all three makes, any one of them can be found in company fleet's that go off road. All of them get the crap beat out of them and seem to survive for a limited life cycle.

Personally, I'd suggest taking each one for a test drive and see which one YOU like best.

I would venture to guess that if you're asking for a dulie then you will be towing?
The new Fords do have a built in electric brake controller that is VERY slick - modulates the trailer brakes extremely well. (Don't know if either of the other have that.)
During your test drive, I'd also suggest that you tow your expected trailer with payload. Some dealers will not let you do this, but if that's what you're going to be doing with it - then you'll need to know how the truck acts under load & pressure.

Also, the max GCVW on each of these 1 ton trucks is does not differ very much from one another, nor do they really differ much from the single wheel versions. From the last one I was looking at, there was only a difference of 500lbs GCVW. The biggest advantage of the dulies, if you don't need the extra little bit of weight, is the stability of it. (You're extending your lateral wheel base or stance of the truck and will be more stable with a higher or heavier load.)

The next thing to consider is the actual weight you're going to be towing/hauling. If there are different options for final-drive gear ratio's, you'll want to choose the right ratio for the engine speed & power output based on your specified crusing speed and transmission & tire size. (I also like that the Chevy uses an Allison Tranny!)

ALSO: If you're only going to be using this as a tow vehicle, and really not much emphasis on the daily driver portion then you may be able to consider a truck that would be considered more of a commercial application truck - quite often less expensive than the "luxury work truck". Examples of this could be: International MXT or CXT or 4200, Ford F450 or F550, Sterling 3 ton (looks and smells like the Dodge Pickup).
I'm sure there are probably a number of "Toy Haulers" out there that you may be able to pick up for a reasonable $$ and still keep your daily driver fun and maneuverable...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice reply....

I was interested in a Chevy especially after viewing the big-3 test review on www.edmunds.com where the Chevy came in 1st place in towing, acceleration, and quietness. Then my neighbor who knows volumes about any car/truck stated that the Cummings can't be beat and can be easily upgraded to 600 HP??? Didn't get into the details on how that's done yet.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the Cummings engine is GREAT. Just the drive line they mate it too is questionable.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

there was a good duramax dually repairable i almost bought yesterday but someone had a hold on it already! it was an 04 that needed a fender and a left box side for only 8250! :ripped:
had 100k but that isnt too high for that price
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Thejoker502
Advanced

Default Dodge!

I have almost 80k on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and love it. The only problems I have had are U-joints at 40K miles. 600 hp is no problem at all in a dodge see http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ for all your dodge questions. If you get the 6spd manual the only drive line upgrade you need is a clutch. The Fords seem to have engine problems (they my be fixed now) and the Chevy seems like a good second choice.
John
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Oobus
Advanced

I had a Ford dually, crew cab for my ranch - had almost 200k on it when we sold it. Pulled a fifth wheel trailer all over the damn place with almos Zero problems. Replaced the clutch due to a oil leak on the turbo - other than routine oil changes. It frequently had 10+ tons hooked up to it, and never complained.
Miss that truck, just don't need anything that big after we sold the ranch.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thejoker502
I have almost 80k on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and love it. The only problems I have had are U-joints at 40K miles. 600 hp is no problem at all in a dodge see http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ for all your dodge questions. If you get the 6spd manual the only drive line upgrade you need is a clutch. The Fords seem to have engine problems (they my be fixed now) and the Chevy seems like a good second choice.
John
I am at 90k with my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. I also had to replace the front u-joints which is no small task. I had a propshaft u-joint go as well, and the muffler rusted off of it. The engine has been fantastic and pulls my 40' trailer with no issues.

Be careful though about thinking you can upgrade the Dodge easily. I believe that was the case with the 5.9L, but the new 6.7L is a different ball game. The new 6.7L had to meet the new emissions standards so I think they tightened up the control of the engine. Do some reading. If you are looking for Dodge information, the best resource I found was turbodieselregister.com.

Good luck,
Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an 04 LT 2500 crew cab Duramax for three years, 68K miles, towed a 24foot Pace enclosed trailer with various weight cars inside. Trailer had a flat nose, and I could pull as much as 16 mpg with that truck. Mountainess areas between DFW and Mid Ohio would average 13 to 14mpg. Pulling an aluminum 18' open trailer with my CRX aboard between KY and DFW would net as much as 19mpg, especially in the flat areas, wind dependant. I made several trips between KY and Texas without pulling a load and 22 to 24 mpg was normal. Hard to beat the duramax for reliability. Zero issues with engine, drive-train, or anything else during my ownership. Resale was damn good too...Of course, that was before nearly 5 dollar per gallon diesel fuel...

Get notified of new replies

To Dually Pick-up trucks...Chevy, Dodge, Ford???

Quick Reply: Dually Pick-up trucks...Chevy, Dodge, Ford???