Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is best car for new teenage HPDE driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What is best car for new teenage HPDE driver?

I am planning on taking my son, 16 years old, to several HPDE events in 2009. I want him to learn to drive the right way, I want to motivate him to do well in school, and I want to spend quality time with him. I think it will be a great experience.

I have bought a bunch of books and videos (Going Faster, Speed Secrets, Secrets of Solo Racing, Bondurant, etc.) for him to get started. I also plan to enroll him in a couple of AutoX events before trying HPDEs.

My questions:

1. Should I start by enrolling him in an intense school to start with, such as Spring Mountain, Skip Barber or Bondurant? If so, which program would you recommend?

2. What is the best type of car for him to drive? I am reluctant to put him in my Z06 because we would be in the same run group and I don't like the idea of two drivers sharing one car. So, should I look for a spec. built track car (Miata, RX8, Focus, etc.)? Should I insist on an automatic tranny to start with? How much should I expect to pay for an entry level track prepped car (used, of course)? Where is the best place to find one? Or, should I try to find a used C5 in decent shape?

3. What is the best type of two car trailer? I have a diesel pick-up, so I have the necessary towing power. I think that I would prefer an open flat bed tag-type, but I have seen a lot of two car goosenecks for sale.

So, everybody chime in with your comments and opinions. I am really looking forward to seeing a bunch of you guys out on the tracks next year.

Last edited by NVR2L8; 12-27-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bondurant is the best school for sedan cars as that is what they use to teach the students. They have Corvettes and Cadillacs both of which are heavy and large and will give him the fundamentals of driving..

2 car trailers are expensive and heavy. Gooseneck is the way to go and it will need to be big. Really big. Like 40 feet so you can bring your tools and lunch with you...

If you have some cash, there is nothing like a used Lotus Elise or Caterham as super track cars... Look in Auto Trader. You can put your own roll bar in these babies.

You didn't say how big your son is. If he is too large for a Lotus you might consider a Subaru STI. Very forgiving and pretty fast. The Cobalt SS is pretty quick too. Used racers can be found through NASA or your local SCCA chapter.

I would avoid an automatic car should I be you, particularily a newer one. It is very difficult to drive a traction controlled car on the track and even tougher if it has yaw computers like an automatic vette. Fast in a straight line and horrible in the corners. The programs are not set for track use, more as a conservative street thing. Better to get a car without these "aids". I drove the Bondurant C6 automatic cars a few weeks ago and I would say that they are some of the worst track cars ever, frightening even. Better to get a stick and a little older one. It will be a lot faster on the track and a lot less likely to be fighting you for control ...

Flame away, the auto C6 with the electronic nanny is the worst track car I have ever driven..
Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

why not a used spec miata. cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, RWD, fun to drive and safe. If he likes it and gets into it, he can move up to something with more power later and you won't lose to much money, or he can autoX do track days and go wheel to wheel with it.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancer033
why not a used spec miata. cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, RWD, fun to drive and safe. If he likes it and gets into it, he can move up to something with more power later and you won't lose to much money, or he can autoX do track days and go wheel to wheel with it.

This is the best bang for the buck entry. I'd love to recommend a Cobalt but they are FWD

PM'ing you with a suggestion.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Before buying my FRC I looked into a number of different track cars. There are some really good deals out there. Fully prep'd spec Miatas are in the 10-15K range, but you would need to do some work, like a right hand seat. A DE prepped E36 BMW would be nice, 12K range. Lots of older Mustangs set up for track are under 12K. 924/944 are very nice track cars. With the possible exception of the Mustang all of these are easy to drive and have modest power outputs that would be good for a younger driver. Kudos to you, what a cool dad!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Miata

I am thinking the same thing for my daughter.... Loves the track Loves the Corvette and wants her own but know that is not realistic ... I do think the best car would be a Miata. You can get them for a darn good price. I am lucky though .... I have about 4 more years.....

A quick search here in raleigh on craigs list came up with what seems to be an ok deal.... (if it checked out)

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/966128801.html
Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 AM
67 fastback
Pro

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I am thinking the same thing for my daughter.... Loves the track Loves the Corvette and wants her own but know that is not realistic ... I do think the best car would be a Miata. You can get them for a darn good price. I am lucky though .... I have about 4 more years.....

A quick search here in raleigh on craigs list came up with what seems to be an ok deal.... (if it checked out)

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/966128801.html
Rotax Max Kart for the first few years. Shifter after that then the Miyata
Old 12-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a stock miata and put some konis on it.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

MIATA !! Absolutely agree.

The REAL trick here is - a car that will inspire confidence, be extremely reliable and super-easy to work on.

Thinking practically - cheap & readily-available replacement parts, totally fun to drive, NOT intimidating to learn - it all adds up to Miata.

If you get a NON-track only car, he can use it as his street car too, and you wouldn't necessarily have to trailer it to every event (local autocrosses, etc.). There's no need for a fully-prepped race car to start with. But for track events, you'll need a proper 4-point rollbar (Hard Dog Fabrication in North Carolina makes a really nice Miata setup), but that wouldn't take away from it's usability on the street. Rules about roll-over protection vary from club to club, so check with the group you intend to run with before investing tons into a full roll cage.

I've worked corners, run many HPDE's and autocrossed seriously for 20 years. I really feel the Z06 would be WAY too challenging (and potentially dangerous) for a driving beginner.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think a prepped car is really NOT the way to go. Not only is a prepped car completely unnecessary it would be harder to learn in. The best car to learn in is something with little power and little grip. Get a street car, keep it on crappy street tires with just konis, alignment, and safety equipment. Then as his skill increases you can add suspension, tires, and finally power.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I started son number one (at 15 - now 20) in a 944S, then a 94 Z28, then the ZO6 and then a FRC. He drove many other cars upon ocassion. He will be driving a Mustang W2W this year.

I started son number two (at 15 - now 17) in a Fiesta (prepped car - but c'mon), a Mini Cooper S, a 02 ZO6, a 83 Supra, a 99 FRC and now he will share the caged Mustang at the track with his brother (HPDE and TT) mostly.

I do not recommend a ZO6 since it will hide some bad habits - but if it is what you have it is better then leaving him at home.

I wish I had a two car hauler so I could take a car that fit me - the Mustang is setup for the smaller side of Team England. I have two F250tow vehicles now, one '99 diesel and one '96 460 gas motor - my wife has horses to tow on the same weekend I want to be at track. Depending on gas prices the 460 is (much) cheaper to tow with (and is an extended cab). I tow a 24' (or maybe it is a 28' - no matter it is too small) enclosed trailer with them.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

stay away from the serious horse power. "405"
a C4 is cheap, and is moderate on HP
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 AM
jcmbird
Advanced

I just bought my son a 3 series bmw.They seem bullet proof, safe, and we could make it very fast if he gets into it. 12k-13k [01,very good condition] .They also have good brakes.He wanted a civic but they are hard to find and I'm not into them yet ,you just don't see them on the road courses that much.I think the race track is a very good test of quality.He is also using it as his street car. I'll bet after you hang out at the track it will be a easier choice. The maint.could be a little high but I've made friends with a bmw mechanic at the track if I get stuck, he's a good guy also. Some how most of my friends are from the track. 944, older 911[bullit proof,and fun to learn on] might be good choice. C5vette might also work[they're hard to beat cost wise]. I would like to know what you decide. thanks, Jay
Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

Sounds like you're pretty motivated to get your son into your hobby/passion. Is he as interested in this as you are? I couldn't gauge this by your initial post.

Perhaps a driving school like Bondurant or something local (similar to GO4IT here in Colorado - http://www.go4itservices.com/default.asp ) might allow him to get some good instruction as well as let you both determine whether he really is going to enoy this before you drop a lot of $$ on a car, trailer, etc.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by Tintin
Flame away, the auto C6 with the electronic nanny is the worst track car I have ever driven..
With traction completely off, (no competition mode) isn't traction completely off?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice Mazda 3 with manual transmission Something simple to start.

anything with a manual transmission. Hondas are cheap and easy to run too.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some Extreme Teen driving school that might be a good place to start. They will teach your son how to control the car if the rear end kicks out or if he gets two wheels off. You can find them on online. I think that they still do one at Lowes in Charlotte

Get notified of new replies

To What is best car for new teenage HPDE driver?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
Miata is an excellent choice

I think a 5.0 Mustang would be a great choice too as it would teach him a lot about car control
Old 12-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I think the 3 series BMW is a great idea. Find a good condition E36 car and let him have at it. It's RWD and fairly light. Along with decent power and brakes. It makes a great combo for learning. If you really want something he can grow with, pick up a E36 M3. They are really getting cheap these days and have a ton of potiental.

Most important out of this: Have fun and enjoy the sport with him
Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Although I was older than 16, I started driving a Taurus SHO. You can get one pretty cheap and not all that expensive to maintain. They are quick enough have fun, but not so fast that you can get into a lot of trouble. Just get a 1989 to 1995 with a 5 speed, the 93-95 automatics just aren't the same on the track.

Quick Reply: What is best car for new teenage HPDE driver?