Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum HPDEs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM
LT70ZR91
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Museum HPDEs ?

What is the deal with the Museum HPDEs? I see on the Museum web site that there is no Road America event on the schedule. I had a geat time last year and have been talking it up. Any chance it might still be added?

Oh, how about the Putnum Park event too.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT70ZR91
What is the deal with the Museum HPDEs? I see on the Museum web site that there is no Road America event on the schedule. I had a geat time last year and have been talking it up. Any chance it might still be added?

I understand that the poor attendance at Road America was a deciding factor for the Museum to cancel its HPDE there.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Roc and I decided with the questionable economy we would only do the one VIR event this year.

We are doing a second event early Aug at Thunder Hill in N Cal in conjunction with Hooked on Driving.

We may do another SE event in Fall. or go back to Putnam. We will know more latter this spring.

The attendance at Road America was very good, but not filled. The motel rates being right after the ALMS race were too high and hard to get. That was the major problem with Road America.

I enjoyed Road America very much and working with "Control" and the remainder of the RA staff was fantastic. Not to mention the track itself.

We hope to return to Road America in the future.

The economy is the deciding factor for events in 2009.

And we do thank all our participants for their support of the NCM.

Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

AU N EGL,

Do you have dates for the early August event at Thunderhill?

Doug J.
Last C5
Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it's an 8 hour drive for me, I'm planning on going to the NCM event at VIR...Putnam Park in October was my first ever HPDE and it was a great place to start. Roc and everyone was great and it was a very safely run event. My last 2 AX events were pretty tame compared to a HPDE. I hope the Museum goes back to Putnam - hotel prices are low and it's a great location.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping NCM would have an event or two at the new BlueGrass track in Northern KY...any chance of that happening?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

If I was deciding, because of a cut back in spending, on what events I would do and not do...RA would be the event of choice.

The DE combined with the ALMS race was a real plus. there were plenty of rooms availible outside of a 20 mile radiaus. We know now to get hotel rooms asap.

RA has at least one DE event every month from April to Oct.
I was really expecting NCM to be on the schedule this year...maybe next year.

I will have to settle for one of those other clubs this year.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is the VIR event?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by OzCop
I was hoping NCM would have an event or two at the new BlueGrass track in Northern KY...any chance of that happening?
I would be up for that one too, Phil.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LT70ZR91

We cancelled Road America for 2 interconnecting reasons:
ALMS race was pushed back a week shortening the time between that event and the 15th Anniversary Celebration and the National Corvette Caravans. With 10k or more people expected here for Labor Day weekend, preparations in August will consume all of the time available. Adding in the weakened economy and the lower than expected attendance all combined to lead us to cancel the event.

Putnam Park lost considerble money last year and that has been a major issue for me to deal with. I have a contract but it has not been signed at this time.

We continue to consider alternate dates and venues but cost effectiveness is a major consideration and events that lose money are not going to be supported.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
We cancelled Road America for 2 interconnecting reasons:
ALMS race was pushed back a week shortening the time between that event and the 15th Anniversary Celebration and the National Corvette Caravans. With 10k or more people expected here for Labor Day weekend, preparations in August will consume all of the time available. Adding in the weakened economy and the lower than expected attendance all combined to lead us to cancel the event.

Putnam Park lost considerble money last year and that has been a major issue for me to deal with. I have a contract but it has not been signed at this time.

We continue to consider alternate dates and venues but cost effectiveness is a major consideration and events that lose money are not going to be supported.
New Jersey Motorsports Park...brand new, world-class, short drive from NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, major east coast metro area and inexpensive. You would get a lot of east coast folks who are willing to travel down south or into the mid-west.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
New Jersey Motorsports Park...brand new, world-class, short drive from NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, major east coast metro area and inexpensive. You would get a lot of east coast folks who are willing to travel down south or into the mid-west.
we are looking at a number of locations including NJMP and Autobahn. We need to have dates that work for our instructors and also fit within the Events work schedule. We handle about 20 events of various types each year and there are just 2 of us. Adam Boca has now moved to the Membership Services department and will be handling Collector Car insurance; Karen Renfrow has taken his place but needs to learn everything about events. With one event involving more than 10k attendees time to work on a large number of different events is just not available. We are doing as much as we can with the assets we have.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Since VIR sold out in like 20 minutes last year how about two events at VIR this year?

BTW, I'll be camped out at my keyboard again this year waiting for registration. It's getting to be like eBay
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we are looking at a number of locations including NJMP and Autobahn. We need to have dates that work for our instructors and also fit within the Events work schedule. We handle about 20 events of various types each year and there are just 2 of us. Adam Boca has now moved to the Membership Services department and will be handling Collector Car insurance; Karen Renfrow has taken his place but needs to learn everything about events. With one event involving more than 10k attendees time to work on a large number of different events is just not available. We are doing as much as we can with the assets we have.
Too bad about manpower, I'm sure some here would volunteer time to get another VIR date. I like the NJMP idea or Summit Main. The Northeast/MidAtlantic is very strong.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Since VIR sold out in like 20 minutes last year how about two events at VIR this year?

BTW, I'll be camped out at my keyboard again this year waiting for registration. It's getting to be like eBay
2 events at VIR same as other tracks, have to have a date that works for track, instructors and NCM schedule. I am working with some of our key instructors on having a volunteer group take on some of the work so we can increase the program because right now my dance card is over-filled.

I wouldn't mind visiting Summit Pt (main circuit) again, it's been a few years since I last did it.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 114 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
AU N EGL,

Do you have dates for the early August event at Thunderhill?

Doug J.
Last C5

According to the NCM website, the dates ar July 30 & 31.

here's a link to the page;
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../thunder.shtml

Roc, Thanks for getting this on the schedule. I know a bunch of us have been asking you to get Thunderhill on the schedule for a while. You can count on me for instructor duties.

Tom
Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fast
According to the NCM website, the dates ar July 30 & 31.

here's a link to the page;
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../thunder.shtml

Roc, Thanks for getting this on the schedule. I know a bunch of us have been asking you to get Thunderhill on the schedule for a while. You can count on me for instructor duties.

Tom
Thanks, when I checked the NCM site earlier there was no mention of it. I'll put it on my calendar.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum HPDEs ?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Northern Calif. track folks are already aware of the NCM event with HOD
and looking forward to joining in. I made the Spring Mt. event at the end of
2007 and won't miss out when the NCM finally gets closer to home. Since we
have had some all Corvette events that have filled in the past three years in
Nor Calif I would expect this event to top out quickly. The locals will be getting
in practice time to run with the hot shoes and cars from out of the area, I'm
sure. All the work by the NCM folks at Sp. Mt. gave me a feeling for how much
work goes into one of these and it is appreciated.
Randy
Old 01-11-2009, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Randy. Roc and Adam do alot of work prior to events. I was not at SM but still did most of the instructor student assignments.

Roc and his new assistant will be very busy this year, especially with big anniversy at the NCM end of Aug. They are expecting OVER 10,000 ppl to attend
Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I wouldn't mind visiting Summit Pt (main circuit) again, it's been a few years since I last did it.
I'd love to see that happen too

Quick Reply: Museum HPDEs ?