Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lightweight T1 Center Console Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default New Lightweight T1 Center Console Pics

Well, after removing all the interior from the car, I just couldn't bear to leave the center console or center panel in there. So, I took out the tinsnips and went at it!

I relocated the Active Handling and Fuel Door switches up to the panel which was pretty easy with some $3 Radio Shack momentary switches. For the other guys out there doing this - the Active Handling switch needs it's signal wire connected to ground, not to +12V. Took me a little while to figure that out, but other than that it was pretty easy.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Once I got the panels made, I just used some vinyl to cover it figuring it would hold up better than paint on a vibrating, flexible panel. The aluminum I got (from Lowes) is thinner than I would prefer - .025 I think. But, it's strong enough and certainly very light!

Nekked - before the vinyl. There are only 2 pieces of aluminum.

Last edited by mikahb; 01-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well look at you Mr. Fabricator, that looks awesome and way better than mine!

Back to the drawing board.

Aaron
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With everything else they're letting you remove you still have to keep the HVAC controls?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
With everything else they're letting you remove you still have to keep the HVAC controls?
I would imagine he keeps it functional for rainy days like I do so the windshield doesn't fog up.

That's why I leave mine in. 2007 Limerock SCCA Regional it poured and thank god it worked, otherwise I would have had to pull off track.

Aaron
Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Aaron - if my car is going to be heavy and slow, at least it's going to look good doing it!

Glen, there's nothing specifically in the rules that says we're allowed to remove the HVAC controls, so as far as I know, we gotta keep them in. Aaron's point is good also - it's nice to have defrost in the wet. And, since my arrival at a racetrack seems to nearly guarantee rain, I'd better keep it!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikahb
Hey Aaron - if my car is going to be heavy and slow, at least it's going to look good doing it!

Glen, there's nothing specifically in the rules that says we're allowed to remove the HVAC controls, so as far as I know, we gotta keep them in. Aaron's point is good also - it's nice to have defrost in the wet. And, since my arrival at a racetrack seems to nearly guarantee rain, I'd better keep it!
Well then, let me help you out a little more with this:

Last edited by rasrboy; 01-12-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Where is the aftermarket Nav and DVD system?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Tempting...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Where is the aftermarket Nav and DVD system?

put on a carbon fiber decal and Stainless Steel screws and you could sell that in the C5 and C6 General section for $600 each

Looks great
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
put on a carbon fiber decal and Stainless Steel screws and you could sell that in the C5 and C6 General section for $600 each

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geeeeez Mikah!!! Quit upping the bar will ya??!!!???

What happened to the wire harness that ran down the center of the console that continued out to the fuel door? Did you re-run that line or is yours just in a different location than ours? No diff cooler? Theres a few pounds saved.........

I'm going to cut off all those bolt studs too.........found out the hard way they don't feel good when you sit on them working on the back section of the car!!!

Last edited by CP Thunder; 01-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Glen, there's nothing specifically in the rules that says we're allowed to remove the HVAC controls, so as far as I know, we gotta keep them in.

b. Air Conditioners:
1. The factory and/or aftermarket air conditioning system
may be removed, provided that at least the following items
associated with the system are also removed: compressor,
condenser, H.D. radiator, H.D. springs/sway bars, H.D.
shocks, larger tires, engine and transmission coolers and
cooling fans. All duct work, wiring, Freon lines, valves,
evaporators, dryers, and dash controls may remain. If the
air conditioning compressor is an integral part of the drive
system, the compressor may be retained and disabled.

Mr. Subdriver and Mr. wtknght1 both have seemed to agree with my interpretation of this rule.

Our cars didn't come with any special HD equipment 'associated' with the a/c system.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CP Thunder

Geeeeez Mikah!!! Quit upping the bar will ya??!!!???

What happened to the wire harness that ran down the center of the console that continued out to the fuel door? Did you re-run that line or is yours just in a different location than ours? No diff cooler? Theres a few pounds saved.........

I'm going to cut off all those bolt studs too.........found out the hard way they don't feel good when you sit on them working on the back section of the car!!!
Hey Steve, the wiring harness is taped up and tucked behind the panel - it's feeding the Fuel and Active Handling switches. There's still one set of wires that runs down into the passenger footwell - maybe that's the fuel pump? I'm headed down in a few to grind off those studs - just wanted to make sure I got everything else done first - my luck I'd grind one off and then need it to mount something!

Originally Posted by ryan0
Mr. Subdriver and Mr. wtknght1 both have seemed to agree with my interpretation of this rule.

Our cars didn't come with any special HD equipment 'associated' with the a/c system.
Yep, I agree we don't have to remove anything HD from our cars. What I don't know for sure is that since this same control panel covers the heater as well - which we are NOT allowed to remove - where does the line lie? If I start seeing a bunch of National T1 cars with zero HVAC controls, you can be sure I'll rip mine out in a heartbeat (but keep it in the trailer in case of a rainy day). I just don't want to be the one trying to sell it to a Tech guy somewhere and get penalized and moved from dead last to dead last minus 2 laps in a race.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Looks awsome Mikah.

I'm still laughing about the idea of marketing it to the general section... lol... But..... you know it would sell
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Well then, let me help you out a little more with this:

Heh heh heh - thanks for the help Aaron!! At least I'll have a good excuse for being off the pace!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

where does the line lie?
eh.. the thing doesnt even weigh a lb anyway. so its probably not worth worrying about.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryan0
b. Air Conditioners:
All duct work, wiring, Freon lines, valves,
evaporators, dryers, and dash controls may remain.
If they just hadn't used that word 'may' ........ its the word that makes that whole section vague and open to 'interpretation'.

Remember......if it doesnt' say you can, you can't..........

I think that section means if its SOLELY an A/C part, it can be removed, otherwise.....it stays.....

JMHO......

Get notified of new replies

To New Lightweight T1 Center Console Pics

Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Hey Steve, the wiring harness is taped up and tucked behind the panel - it's feeding the Fuel and Active Handling switches.
I have a conduit with the lines that run down the trans tunnel, over the hump to the back area and across to the fuel door........where does 'that' line run in yours?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I have a conduit with the lines that run down the trans tunnel, over the hump to the back area and across to the fuel door........where does 'that' line run in yours?
Nope - the feed to my fuel door actuator comes out of the loom running down the left side of the drivers compartment (has the power seat plug I believe). Most of that loom terminates at the plug, but a single wire runs from there back to the fuel door actuator. It appears to me that it's a factory loom and the wrie has always been there, but should be easy enough for you to relocate yours from the tranny tunnel over to that side where it's down and out of the way.

Happy wiring!!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Remember......if it doesnt' say you can, you can't.
just curious... how many people follow that to the letter?

i mean it doesnt actually say you can change and relocate switches either does it?

Quick Reply: New Lightweight T1 Center Console Pics