Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech XP8

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech XP8

Hi all:

Although I have seen where Carbotech says it does not recommend these pads for daily use due to noise and dust, has anyone had any experience with these pads as sort of a dual purpose pad? That is, I may do two or three HPDEs a year, and also use my 2006 A6 as a daily driver. I know no one pad does everything well, but do these come close?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been running a 9/8 setup. On the street.

No, I would not do this again. I'd run the 12/11 setup with a set of discs dedicated to the track, and run something else on the street. They are seriously noisy, dusty, squeally, and horribly on rotors until they're up to temp.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 380 Likes on 314 Posts

I've been very happy with the XP8 as a dual street/track pad. They didn't fade at Road America like the ZO6 pad did but they are harder on the rotors. The brakes do feel weak for the first mile or two till they warm up but that's it. It takes more effort to slow the car and it doesn't stop as fast. I did have some squealing here and there. After the first couple of stops then they bite very well. I do three HPDE events per year as well and drive to the track with them.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the Carbo 10 front and 8 rear on my track car/garage queen. they work quite well for me on the street. Not much noise or wear until I hit the track. Been doing this for 4 years with no problems
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I run the Carbo 10 front and 8 rear on my track car/garage queen. they work quite well for me on the street. Not much noise or wear until I hit the track. Been doing this for 4 years with no problems
Just went to XP10 in the front on Bendix stock rotors and cracked both of them in a race event in one day. I'm really easy on brakes, but I wasn't expecting this. I guess I'm going back to high treated Power slots. Anyone thoughts on this?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the 8/6 combo. Great setup for me on DD, but I autoX every weekend with a HPDE here and there, so the dust/noise factor (very significant) is liveable. I do think about going back to the Z51 pad so I don't have to wash the car so much.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I use to run XP8's on the rear and Wilwood H pads in the front. When I had my C5 with the LG SL6 calipers, I could switch the pads in the fronts very easily and just run the XP8's all summer long in the rear without removing them. While the rear would dust pretty frequently, it did not make a that much noise if any, which made it easy when I have event within a couple weeks of eachother, but still wanted to drive my car on the street in between without the hassle of complete pad changes.

I say give it a shot and see how it works. If you don't like them on the street, you can just use them as a track pad.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I've run XP-10/8 combination on the street. The only thing I found challenging was the dust. I got tired of the dusty wheels and rusty rotors.

Ended up buying a set of "bling" rotors (drilled/slotted) and ceramic pads for the street and use the XP pads and stock rotors for the track.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by 96solo
Just went to XP10 in the front on Bendix stock rotors and cracked both of them in a race event in one day. I'm really easy on brakes, but I wasn't expecting this. I guess I'm going back to high treated Power slots. Anyone thoughts on this?
I got 4 days out of a set of Chinese rotors out of RockAuto before one cracked ... metalurgy sucks ... I went up a *grade* in rotors (i think "Raybestos" barand ... they look to be better machined ... I hope they do better ...

To the thread initiator ... I run 10/8 on street as well as track ... my street time is limited and I make sure to get a bit of heat into them when I'm going out ... they've been fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD60
I've run XP-10/8 combination on the street. The only thing I found challenging was the dust. I got tired of the dusty wheels and rusty rotors.
Ditto with XP-10/8 on street car that I used to track. They were fine if a bit dusty and squeeky(??) in cold weather.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Anyone using the Carbotech 1 piece C6 Z06 pads? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been running XP10 front and XP8 rear on slotted DBA rotors on the street since a Nov. track event. They work fine on street with some dust on front wheels but not much more than OEM pads. They are a bit noisey but not too bad. Hopefully when the weather warms up a bit it will help the noise but I can live with it, so far anyway.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by avizandum
I run the 8/6 combo. Great setup for me on DD, but I autoX every weekend with a HPDE here and there, so the dust/noise factor (very significant) is liveable. I do think about going back to the Z51 pad so I don't have to wash the car so much.

Recently got XP8/AX6 for my '08 Z51 used with original Z51 rotors, but only for street & Auto-x use; NO track days. Same experience - great pad with lots of squeal and dust.

Luckily, the dust is not bad for your paint, but it is as plentiful as described - no surprise there.

I found these pads to have DRAMATICALLY better feel, modulation and initial bite - even dead cold - compared to Z51 pads. If I could get rid of the squeallies, I would be completely happy with these pads for everyday use - dust be damned.

As for the SQUEAL - Does anyone know of a anti-squeal product that has ACTUALLY been proven to WORK?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I run them on the street all the time - drove to Daytona with XP10/8s from Augusta GA yesterday...they do squeak a bit at times...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on a lot of research and recommendations from people on here I purchased a set of xp10/xp8 for use this season. I haven't installed them yet but my car is driven on the street as much as the track so it will be interesting to see how they perform in both situations... I'm more concerned with their track performance then anything though.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech XP8

Quick Reply: Carbotech XP8