Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which School: Skip Barber or Ron Fellows/Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which School: Skip Barber or Ron Fellows/Spring Mountain

Help me decide, so I can register. Looking to move towards an SCCA license.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I enjoyed Spring Mountain, can't comment on the Barber one, but I did learn a lot.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Spring Mountain ROCKS.

Compare their prices for the same course. Then make your decision.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

I can't comment on Barber either, but I did the basic 3-day at Spring Mountain last March. Their program assumes everyone is a beginner and they cover the basics very well. Instructors were top-notch. It was my first time on a track, so I was starting from scratch, and darned glad I did it that way now. It was a huge "head start" going in to the 5 DE's I did later in the year. Good luck!

Bob
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
JaGsC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoganR
Help me decide, so I can register. Looking to move towards an SCCA license.

Thanks
I went to Bondurant last September and took the Advanced Road Racing course to get my regional SCCA license. They use new Corvettes for their training and have trained many of racing's top drivers. Where ever you go I'm sure with the current state of the economy, you'll be able to deal with them a little for a better price. Warning!! Smile might last on your face for a month!

//http://www.bondurant.com/
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I am taking my son to Spring Mountain in March for a two day course.

I checked with Barber and Bondurant, but Spring Mountain was the only one that fit our schedule. IMO, they are all top notch.

IMPORTANT: Check with each school to make sure you find out how many "poimts" will be earned towards your SCCA license. In doing my research, it appeared that the Skip Barber school is most geared towards towards getting an SCCA license.

I am only interested in HPDE, so it did not matter to me.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 AM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
IMPORTANT: Check with each school to make sure you find out how many "poimts" will be earned towards your SCCA license. In doing my research, it appeared that the Skip Barber school is most geared towards towards getting an SCCA license.
Spring Mountain has a course specifically set up for SCCA licensing. You walk in one day, do your thing, meet the requirements you walk out to do your novice races.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

do not the schools provided the info and basic skills assessments to APPLY for you regional SCCA lic. Then you must complete 4 races within one year with out incident to advance to your National SCCA Lic. ?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out Bondurant - I saw a very recent post in this forum -- http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...g-schools.html that was offering up to 40% discounts on certain school times and dates near term. Guess the economy has got these outfits puckered like the rest of us. It is a lot of discretionary income that folks are hanging onto right now.

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 01-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

I am taking my son to Spring Mountain in March for a two day course.

I checked with Barber and Bondurant, but Spring Mountain was the only one that fit our schedule. IMO, they are all top notch.

I am only interested in HPDE, so it did not matter to me.

What dates? I tentatively have March 23 to 25 & March 30 & 31st.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RoganR
What dates? I tentatively have March 23 to 25 & March 30 & 31st.
We have arranged a special program for Mar. 9th and 10th, which is the Monday and Tuesday of my son's spring break. Those dates do not appear on the Spring Mountain web site.

Call them on the phone, and they will bend over backwards to accomodate your schedule.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

We have arranged a special program for Mar. 9th and 10th, which is the Monday and Tuesday of my son's spring break. Those dates do not appear on the Spring Mountain web site.

Call them on the phone, and they will bend over backwards to accomodate your schedule.

They were really nice. Was willing to give me a special date as well, however I ended up not needing it. March 23rd to 25th in the ZR1. Should be a lot of fun.

Take a lot of pics and bring a video cam. You can get a mount for the cam so you can mount.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did Danny McKeever's Fast Lane last weekend to get my SCCA license. GREAT value, and they will let you bring your own car. I used a school car, but we had a C6, Benz and BMW out there with us.

Even had a couple of "celebrities" that were past LB GP drivers join us one day.

http://www.raceschool.com/index.html
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
do not the schools provided the info and basic skills assessments to APPLY for you regional SCCA lic. Then you must complete 4 races within one year with out incident to advance to your National SCCA Lic. ?
When I qualified for my SCCA lic at Bondurant I was given the signed paperword saying I completed all of the basic stuff to qualify for my SCCA Regional Lic.

I believe you are right and if I want to do National I would have to do 4 starts without incident in 1 year time frame.

I have not sent my paperwork in yet so I am unsure if I get a Regional lic or if I get just a permit. If it was a permit I would have to do 2 races to upgrade to a lic.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Organi...nLicenses.html

Get notified of new replies

To Which School: Skip Barber or Ron Fellows/Spring Mountain

Quick Reply: Which School: Skip Barber or Ron Fellows/Spring Mountain