Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for best HPDE C6 seat / harness set-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Need advice for best HPDE C6 seat / harness set-up

What is the best seat / harness solution for my C6 Z06 for use in HPDE events?

This question has plagued me for many months now as I prepare for my second HPDE season. I have researched this topic pretty thoroughly, and I need to make a decision pretty soon.

My primary goal is to be able to stay firmly "planted" in my seat, instead of using the steering wheel to keep me in place. The shifting of my body last year was a constant fight.

The factors that I must factor into my decision:

1. I am 6'5" and 250+, so I need a seat that will fit XXL.
2. Other people will also be driving my car, so the seat must be adjustable.
3. I plan on installing seats and harness for both driver and passenger.
4. Any seat that I choose must fit into my '09 Z06.
5. I plan to install 5 or 6 point harnesses.
6. I intend to drive my car at numerous HPDE events, sponsored by NASA, NCM, 10/10ths, Chin, Asphalt Ventures, MVP Tracktime, etc, and I need to make sure that my set-up will pass tech inspection.
7. My seat / harnesses must be street legal.
8. I am very serious about safety, not in some "shade tree" set-up just to save money.

Other considerations:

I understand that NASA has adopted an "all or none" policy. Either racing seats, harness and rollbar - or a complete OEM seat, belts and airbag system. This may vary some by region, but the safest thing to do is to plan on the policy being enforced.

Taking out the stock seats and belts will disable the airbag system (throwing codes), and it will also interfere with the electrical steering wheel adjustments. This may also effect street legality and insurance coverage.

I am considering the idea of installing C5 sport seats, with the pass through for the harnesses, but I am not sure if this would be a simple bolt-in / plug in installation, maintaining OEM funtionality. Does anyone know if this will work?

I have a chassis bar installed in the car which can be used for attaching harnesses. I also plan to install an adjustable seat bracket to attach the back of the seat to the chassis bar.

I have looked at the new seats from LG Motorsports. They are a fully functional OEM replacement racing seat. Problem is they are very narrow, and IMO pretty ugly.

I could also modify my OEM Z06 seats, making a "pass through" slot for the shoulder harness. Pretty simple, but legal?

I could also install the harnesses, and use both the stock seats belts AND the harnesses at the same time. I have been told that this is frowned upon by tech inspectors and emergency personnel.

Lastly, I could go will a full racing seat / harness system, and swap it out prior to and after each HPDE event. IMO, this would be a pretty big PITA, including having to reflash the PCM each time

So, brethren, help me out here. What should I do?

As always, much thanks.

Last edited by NVR2L8; 02-26-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
no spin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can answer some of your questions.

I could also modify my OEM Z06 seats, making a "pass through" slot for the shoulder harness. Pretty simple, but legal

This may be your best option if it can be done with out interfering with the air bag. With a Teamtech Jet Pilot harness you would not need a subbelt. Legal, I have no idea.

I am considering the idea of installing C5 sport seats, with the pass through for the harnesses, but I am not sure if this would be a simple bolt-in / plug in installation, maintaining OEM funtionality. Does anyone know if this will work?

The seat C5 sport seat will bolt to the C6 seat base giving you adjustability, and the use of the three point belt for the street. You will however need some aftermarket electronics to fool the airbag system.

Lastly, I could go will a full racing seat / harness system, and swap it out prior to and after each HPDE event. IMO, this would be a pretty big PITA, including having to reflash the PCM each time

Are you trailering to the track? If so this is not really that bad. Four seat bolts one seatbelt bolt and a couple of electrical connectors. There is no need to mess with the computer. You will lose your airbag function but you don't need it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 AM
wmk32
Instructor

Changing seats out with the pfadt seat mounts only takes a matter of minutes. They also make a wiring harness that will keep the airbag and telescoping wheel functional that only takes a minute to install once your oem seats are disconnected.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're going to have a problem with head clearance when you put on a helmet. I have an EVO-2 seat on adjustable rails and at 5'10'', my head hits the roof while wearing the helmet. I reset the seat at the lowest possible setting on the Pfadt side rails but only gained about 1/2" clearance. I just tuck my butt in a little and make do. You're 6'5", and unless your height is just in your legs, I don't know how you're going to fit. If you do without the slide rails, you'll gain about 3/4" to 1".

Your best bet may well be to take your stock seat and have an upholstery shop make a couple of pass thrus for the harness. The Team Tech harness has a chest plate that is supposed to keep you from coming out of the harness upon a sudden impact. It sure looks like it would work but I've heard a fair amount of people saying its dangerous............so I'm not sure. I use a Momo 6 pt harness, EVO2 seat, Pfadt rails, EVO seat slides. I like the seat for tracking but wouldn't use it on the street since its too big a pain to get in or out of. I change out the seats in about 20 minutes. I also use the Pfadt electric wiring harness to fool the air bag system (C6Z06). I also bought a spare seat memory module so I don't have to pull mine out of the bottom of the stock seat each time (about $135). Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wmk32
Changing seats out with the pfadt seat mounts only takes a matter of minutes. They also make a wiring harness that will keep the airbag and telescoping wheel functional that only takes a minute to install once your oem seats are disconnected.
The Pfadt harness only lets you keep the telescoping wheel function, not the airbag. According to there site. But they might just be saying that for possible legal issues.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
wmk32
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The Pfadt harness only lets you keep the telescoping wheel function, not the airbag. According to there site. But they might just be saying that for possible legal issues.
Quite possibly the case for legal issues. Without the harness the airbag light stays illuminated, however that is not the case with the harness so i'm just making an assumption.

In regards to the height issue - that's a good point. Definitely don't use the slider and try to cut down on any unnecessary height you can. I'm 6'4 and pretty damn close to the roof myself with an evo 2. It's doable but your driving posture might not be the best.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM
vetteguy2005
Racer

Default More head room for a tall guy

If you need more head room, check out my custom top from Corvette Specialty of Riverside California.

I keep my stock seat and belt and airbags. I think unless you go with a full cage you are better off with the airbags than without them.

The tops gives me room for my helmet and attracts a lot of attention at the track.

Last edited by vetteguy2005; 10-13-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a Crow 6-point harness (with sternum latch) and I simply ran the shoulder restraints through the stock seats. I trailer the car to the track but it still sees some street use. When I finally decide the car is a dedicated track car I'll go to racing seats but for now this setup works well for me (though I'm not near as large as you are). I'm firmly planted in the seat and I feel this is far superior to using the stock seatbelt/shoulder belt. Granted, its not ideal but I compared the harness 'geometry' to one racing seat and there wasn't much difference. The rules might change but I just passed a NASA annual tech inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice for best HPDE C6 seat / harness set-up

Quick Reply: Need advice for best HPDE C6 seat / harness set-up