Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many track the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 AM
B/Stock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How many track the A6?

Just got back from a Chin event at Sebring. I pretty much kept it in D because downshifting with the paddles was a little tough for me. Seems I could not coordinate the braking with the downshifts using the paddles. Anyone have some advice on this? I was impressed with the car, great brakes with the Z51. I think if I could figure out the A6 I could be a bit faster. BTW the car has the A6 attack tune by Chuck Cow.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Down shift at the end of the brake zone, just prior to turn in.

Remember your BRAKES not the transmission are flow slowing your car down
Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, remember that the downshift takes about a full second, though with your tune it may be faster. If it still has the throttle blip on downshift, it likely still takes a second or so. Your braking will almost always be more than that, so somewhere during the braking, downshift. Just make sure it's done before you start into the turn, you don't want to have the gears changing suddenly while on the edge of the envelope. A lesson I learned with experience at Skip Barber school, long ago.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I track with the A6 and initially did as you are. I found letting the car shift by itself left me feeling less in control and beating the snot out of the tranny.
I started getting used to the paddles and really liked it. Like anything new it takes getting used to. I find the incredibly smooth shifts a real help to an ever improving life long learner. Also depending on the track you might only use 2 or 3 gears ; well 5th on the straight at sebring!!! The purists might not like it but it lets me concentrate more on my line and being smooth.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anotherone
I track with the A6 and initially did as you are. I found letting the car shift by itself left me feeling less in control and beating the snot out of the tranny.
I started getting used to the paddles and really liked it. Like anything new it takes getting used to. I find the incredibly smooth shifts a real help to an ever improving life long learner. Also depending on the track you might only use 2 or 3 gears ; well 5th on the straight at sebring!!! The purists might not like it but it lets me concentrate more on my line and being smooth.
I agree, the A6 lets you concentrate more on your line and being smooth rather than having to worry about downshifts and driving. This was my first track experience and it was nice just to be able to drive and not worry about shifting. The problem was the faster I went, the harder it was to handle the auto (shifting when exiting the apex) being in the S mode. I think when I get more confident with the paddle downshifts the smoother I'll get. Like AU N EGL and godzilladude said, I think I need to downshift only when at the end of the braking. BTW, was that your red vett passing me a few times during the green session on Satuday at Sebring?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM
anotherone
Pro

Originally Posted by B/Stock
I agree, the A6 lets you concentrate more on your line and being smooth rather than having to worry about downshifts and driving. This was my first track experience and it was nice just to be able to drive and not worry about shifting. The problem was the faster I went, the harder it was to handle the auto (shifting when exiting the apex) being in the S mode. I think when I get more confident with the paddle downshifts the smoother I'll get. Like AU N EGL and godzilladude said, I think I need to downshift only when at the end of the braking. BTW, was that your red vett passing me a few times during the green session on Satuday at Sebring?
nope ; not me , I was there on sun april 5th with hod. Practice will smooth it out but it takes time.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherone
Thanks for the tips, gonna try the paddles at Road America next month.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14

Going to Mid Ohio this Thursday...this will be my only day on the track with my C6 auto..I plan on using the paddles..just to see what my times will be..my normal track car is a 1986Porsche 944 Turbo set up for the track..with the stock engine (no chip) I run 1:48 a lap..I expect the vette to be quicker with the auto but with almost 200 hp more than the Porsche..should be interesting
Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14
Default Late Results from Mid Ohio

Sorry I meant to post this when I returned.

First remember my car is a 2007 with F55 with Z51 bars and Porterfield R4 race brake pads. Original run flats

Turned off all the traction controls. put in Comp mode.

Tried in just the sport mode for a couple laps...disaster
The car would down shift in the corner when accelerating...scarry

Decided that the paddle shifter was the only way to go....
Break in a straight line..down shift one or two gears depending on the corner and up shift after the apex....worked great..

Now the really bad news..the run flats were terrible (that is an understatement)..
It really held the car back. I would NEVER put run flats on a C6 for track use.. but just wanted to see how the car would do.

I was a little over 140 at the end of the back straight but could not hold speed in the corners due to the tires. Best lap was in the high 1:59's.
My 1986 Porsche 944 turbo with track tires runs 1:49's with only 130 at the end of the back straight.

With good track tires I would guess the Vet would turn 1:46's
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

For you guys with the A6's, I had a student at VIR with the A6. When the tranny got hot it went into limp mode and started shifting itself! In the middle of turns!!

If you are going to continue to track your cars get a trans fluid cooler!

Get notified of new replies

To How many track the A6?

Quick Reply: How many track the A6?