Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track & model type question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Doubledge
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track & model type question

So I'm looking to buy my first vette and I intend to take it to the track but also want it to remain street drivable so I get the most out of it.

My first question is about getting the coupe/t-top C6 and if it will be ok on the track taking into consideration that I will probably put on sticky (r-comp) tires for the track and add coil overs and bigger sway bars. I'm concerned about it putting more stress on the unibody structure, causing flexing and imprecise handling.

My second question is about where that line is when making mods between the car being only good for the track and it being still a fun and comfortable weekend/touring car.

Thanks!
Greg
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
worldsaway
Racer

I definitely like my C5 Z06. I've only had it for a few weeks, I'm more of an autox guy, but bought this as my track car.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Corvettes don't have a unibody
All C5s have the same (steel chassis)
C6 coups/verts/grandsport have a steel chassis
C6Z06/ZR1 have an aluminum chassis

You'll be fine in any of these with stickies + coil overs. The biggest cause of imprecision you'll have is from the rubber suspension bushings deflecting.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to drive R compounds in the future, that means a small tire trailer or pick up and trailer to haul your car to the event.

One should not drive r compounts to and from the event

Why would you want coil overs, if you have not already driven a vette? get a C5Z or C6 GS with track option ( dry sump plus other things)

Drive it, learn it have fun. Then maybe do modifications
Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
One should not drive r compounts to and from the event
Really? Why not? I've only driven on RA1s on the street for the past 3 years.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Really? Why not? I've only driven on RA1s on the street for the past 3 years.
toyo RA1s and 888s are soft street tires. not Really R compounds

if the RA1 was a true R compound, about 500 miles would be the max you could get, if your lucky.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
bearnest
Pro

start with a c5 z06
Old 07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Agree with others that you should look at C5 Z06. It was meant as a race car from the factory. Look for one that is stock. I would look at the 2002 -2004.

I keep it stock for a while and only as needed make mods. The stock Z06 capabilities are pretty high. Biggest improvement after learning how to drive will come from switching to racing slicks.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years have proven the LS6 to be bullet proof (in comparison) to the LS3?LS7 for example.

C6Z06 will blow your mind, but everything is expensive, besides cost of car.

All these cars are real frame cars, stiffer than just about anything you'll find.

I personally like the look of a C5Z over the standard C6, but like the C6Z look over everything.

Maybe the new grand sport is the car for you...(if you have the coin). Nothing bad about having a warranty on Corvettes. Nickle and dime repairs can add up.

Go with a new Grand Sport and then write a good review on the forum
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
bearnest
Pro

what price range
Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here we go again. I would strongly suggest that you try driving first. Forget all the modifications. One of the dirty little secrets of track events is that most novice drivers don't come back after the first time at the track.

Just look at how easy it is to register in the intermediate and advanced groups. The novice groups fill up immediately. People just don't return. Just by observing during the past year I can tell you that here in Florida most of the modified Corvettes seldom return.

Richard Newton
Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by rfn026
One of the dirty little secrets of track events is that most novice drivers don't come back after the first time at the track.
Yup. Quite often in the HPDE drivers meeting, the organizer will ask "how many here are first-timers?". I've seen
as many as 1/4 of the hands go up.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Get a Z, get a C6 Z!

Get either a C5 Z06 or C6 Z06. Change the brake fluid with some Motul (or whatever high temp stuff), get some good track pads on there and drive it like you stole it!

I had a 6C Coupe, drove it a few thousand miles and it was nice. Then I took it to the track and ever since then, the top squeaked on both sides because I drove on the track with the roof off. Dealer couldn't fix it even with the TSB for noisy roof applied. Man that drove me nuts.

Another thing about the C6 Coupe is once you get one, you'll want the Z06. And EVERYONE will ask, "Is that a Z06?", further pounding in the fact that you really wanted the Z06 to begin with.

Now for the C5 Z06, that thing has 405 HP and its fast, stiff and reliable (except trans overheating). I'm pretty sure it has more tire options than the C6 Z too (as of today). And also, it will cost WAY, WAY less money!!

My C5 Z was sold before getting the C6 coupe. I tell you what, I liked the ride and drive of the C5 Z better than the C6 Coupe! It handled better and cornered better! I thought something was wrong with my tires on the C6 Coupe because it did not stick as good! In fact, I made an **** out of myself calling the dealer telling them they put the wrong tires on . Now that could be from the tire compound and runflat vs non run flat, but still, the suspension on the Z was better! The coupe was like riding in a caddy! The longer wheel base in the C6 Coupe has something to do with that too.

Another thing that's good about the C5 Z06 is it has less electronics!! That means you won't have to think about using emergency mechanical door levers, you won't have push button starting problems (my C6 coupe was a POS and started 1/2 the time when cold).

The C5 Z can have a trailer hitch welded on w/out special chit vs the C6 Z has an aluminum frame and not many folks are willing to weld on that! The trailer is great for track tires if you get hooked and become a track addict.

If you splurge and go for the gusto right off the bat (my suggestion ) and get the Z06, for for a '09+.
You want performance, I can see that by wanting mods right off. This C6 Z, holy chit man!! Carry diapers for your passengers cuz they will chit their pants once you lay into it I love everything about my C6 Z except the Nav. which I'm replacing right now (dash is torn apart!) and the tires (tire size is good!). The C6 Z is a white knuckle drive though. If you haven't tracked before my advice is to take a training course like Spring Mountain or Bondurant (sp) and work on being smooth. You will need the car control skills too. I have yet to take off the stability control because a) I haven't tracked it yet to learn the limits and b) the rear can come around on you quicker than you can blink! Be careful on the test drive and don't stab the gas pedal. The dealer who I bought my Z from had a customer stab the gas around a corner. He lost control and drove it into a tree doing $25k worth of damage including a bent frame.

Whatever you choose you will have fun!!

Last edited by C5 Hardtop; 08-01-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would draw the line between street and track car once the race seat, roll bar and harnesses are in.

Z06 (C5 or C6) would probably give you most balance for a dual use car.

if you know that you would end up doing suspension/brake/engine modifications, start with the cheapest C5 you can find with a straight frame (maybe FRC). There is no point in paying for a C6/C5Z06 if you end up replacing stuff anyway.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

If you plan on any modifications, get the C5Z. less expesnsive to start with, and easy to mod.

However, take what ever car you have NOW, change to dot 4 brake fluid and new brake pads and do your fist event IN THAT CAR.

Modifications are sexy as hell but take time and lots of money.

That money could be spent on track time.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by bearnest
start with a c5 z06
I STRONGLY agree. I made the typical beginners mistake when I started 3 years ago of buying a C6Z, then thinking I needed more power. I ended up building waaaaay to hot a car to learn in and was intimidated by both the performance of the car and all the money I had spent. After reality set in (it didn't take long) I sold the C6 and bought a bone stock C5Z. There is not a better value out there for a beginners "turn-key" track car when you consider cost versus stock performance than the C5Z. It has all the capability that you'll need for a couple of years before you begin any mods, with the exception of safety stuff and HP pads and brake fluid of course. From your brother who has been there, save your mod money, buy seat time and learn to drive. The C5Z will grow with you for years to come.

Good luck and have fun!

Bob
Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
I STRONGLY agree. I made the typical beginners mistake when I started 3 years ago of buying a C6Z, then thinking I needed more power. I ended up building waaaaay to hot a car to learn in and was intimidated by both the performance of the car and all the money I had spent. After reality set in (it didn't take long) I sold the C6 and bought a bone stock C5Z. There is not a better value out there for a beginners "turn-key" track car when you consider cost versus stock performance than the C5Z. It has all the capability that you'll need for a couple of years before you begin any mods, with the exception of safety stuff and HP pads and brake fluid of course. From your brother who has been there, save your mod money, buy seat time and learn to drive. The C5Z will grow with you for years to come.

Good luck and have fun!

Bob
Grasshopper is wise. 110% agree with the C5Z route. When you can outdrive your C5Z and it doesn't scare you anymore, you can start modding it or upgrade to a C6Z. I've passed a whole lotta C6's of all flavors (except ZR1's) in C5Z's - very capable car.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by mikahb
Grasshopper is wise.
As is his much younger mentor.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Doubledge
2nd Gear

Thanks to everyone for the advice. This is not my fist track experience as I have done several of them over the past year now. I was just considering stepping it up a bit and getting a good sports car that I could grow with. All of the advice was great and I am going to start looking at the C5Z now.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Track & model type question

Quick Reply: Track & model type question