Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with LG Coilver- shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any problems with LG Coilver- shocks?

Just put the LG coilovers on my 08 C6 about 6 weeks ago-- had first sessions on the track today. SOmething seems to be wrong with the rears-- the car just bounces-- almost uncontrollably at speed. Seems as if the shock isn't damping the action of the spring.

any one else have similar problems? It had acted like this on the street when we first put them on-- my mechanic checked the nitrogen levels in the shocks-- one was set where it was supposed to be-- the other had only about 1/3 the pressure it should have. Trying to figure out whether I should send these back to be checked out/revalved etc or to go to a softer stpring. THe car does feel MUCH better than leaf springs (z51)-- the front seems really well planted-- but the bouncing is just too much to take.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd certainly contact LGM and see what they say....send them in to be checked just to be sure. I use LG coil-over's and I don't have any such problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by l8_apexer
Just put the LG coilovers on my 08 C6 about 6 weeks ago-- had first sessions on the track today. SOmething seems to be wrong with the rears-- the car just bounces-- almost uncontrollably at speed. Seems as if the shock isn't damping the action of the spring.

any one else have similar problems? It had acted like this on the street when we first put them on-- my mechanic checked the nitrogen levels in the shocks-- one was set where it was supposed to be-- the other had only about 1/3 the pressure it should have. Trying to figure out whether I should send these back to be checked out/revalved etc or to go to a softer stpring. THe car does feel MUCH better than leaf springs (z51)-- the front seems really well planted-- but the bouncing is just too much to take.

This only happens when the car's ride height is set too high or too low at the rear.
I am a little bit confused since you said you have shrader valves to check the pressures. our short bodies do not have shrader valves. Either way:

We have two different length bodies that we can supply but if you are on track you need the shorter bodies, which you probably have depending on your ride height settings.

The only time we had an issue was when the car was at the extremes either set too high or too low on the ride heights. (usually too high)

Tell your guy who did your corner weights to start turning the rear spring down (thread the collar up on the shock body) until you start to see the rear measurement start to get lower.

A good starting point is to have the front around 25.5 and rear at 26"-26 1/4 measured from the ground to the edge of the wheel arch opening.

Have your guy call me at LGM and I can walk him through it easily.

There is nothing wrong with the valving etc it is just that the spring pre load is extending the shock past its intended installed height, and being that high, it has used up all the rebound in the shock.

If you are at the track, just lower the car. Email me the measurements.

There is a window that is easily reached but the shocks were not designed for the car to be either too high or too low.

my email is Lou@LGMotorsports.com where you can send me some info on your set up or send me your cell number.

Thanks

Lou G

PS, Please don't change springs or anything else. Just contact me

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 08-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Default THanks for the great support!

Lou-

What great support!! Thank you for responding to the questions, and the email help with the setup.

Turned out that the rear ride height was too high, we dropped the ride height down to 26.5" and --wow what a change in how it rides on the street. Can't really tell how it will be on the track (we'll find out next month at MidOhio), but early indications (hit some bumps on the street) and it took them in stride-- no bounce, no jarring, just firm, compliance.

I am MUCH happier with how the car is on the street.

Lou's support was fantastic. LG may want to add the ride height info in the installation instructions for future customers.

The difference in how the car handles with the coilovers compared to the GM leaf springs is night and day. Can't imagine why the factory didn't put these on as an option.

Last edited by l8_apexer; 08-29-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
A good starting point is to have the front around 25.5 and rear at 26"-26 1/4 measured from the ground to the edge of the wheel arch opening.
well hmm i just went and measured mine - 27.5 in the back, 26.5 in the front

i guess i'll drop it next time i am getting an alignment...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

The difference in how the car handles with the coilovers compared to the GM leaf springs is night and day. Can't imagine why the factory didn't put these on as an option.
Just want to point out that this is due to the shocks, not the springs (coil vs leaf).
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Just want to point out that this is due to the shocks, not the springs (coil vs leaf).

Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Are these the new adjustable coil overs or the race coil overs ?

Get notified of new replies

To Any problems with LG Coilver- shocks?

Quick Reply: Any problems with LG Coilver- shocks?