Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some advice on valves

Hi,

I have a set of 243 heads that I'm going to have some work done on them and I wanted to find out what kind of valves I should be going with. The builder is suggesting a 2.055 intake as we could use that without changing the seats. And, a 1.6 exhaust. He has suggested going with stainless valves, but mostly because they are in stock. He had intitally said he like the titanium valves.

I'm looking to run a G6X3 cam with these heads. So, for road racing do stainless valves make sense or shoud I have him order hollow intake and sodium exhaust, or titanium?

What about having him replace the seats so I can go with a 2.08 intake? I assume that 2.08 is the max on these heads, or is that too big even?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

high lift high rpm ? hollow intake and sodium exhaust or titanium for those requirements.

not sure what the specs are on that cam.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ya, I don't know the spec's either, they said max lift was less than 650.

I'd like to build for high rpm, but hope to keep it somewhat reasonable most of the time

Thanks, for the info, are titanium better bets than the hollow&sodium? I'd spend the time and money for the better choice.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:53 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How much are you spending on those heads?

I looking into rebuilding a set of stockers and quickly found out a new set of heads was not only cheaper, but would outflow the stockers by a landslide.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a good point, with stainless valves its under what new heads would run. But, I have no quote on them with lightweight valves. The heads I've looked at so far at on-line retailers seem to be more drag race type of stores and use the stainless valves. Any suggestions on places to look?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Light wt valve train helps with reliability
Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ti valves need different seats for any sort of long life. They are great but do need to be replaced from time to time.

Randy
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Titanium is a waste of money IMHO unless you have a large budget and are going to be tearing the motor down every year it just doesn't make sence. There was an interesting article in GM High Tech a while back where Katech did a Spintron test on various valves in the LS3 head. The best combo was the stock hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust with PSI springs. More resistent to valve float at high rpm than the stainless (and more expensive).
There is the old triangle for engines power, reliability and cheap - pick two!
I think it's tough to beat the GM parts as long as the cam isn't too big, too much lift and high RPM and the GM valves can fail, on the other side of the coin the stainless valves are stronger but you won't be able to rev as high. It's always a comprimise.
But I would stay away from Ti unless you have money to burn, the Sprint Car and NASCAR guys can do it, cause they throw the valves away after every race, just not worth it for Club racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on valves

Quick Reply: Need some advice on valves