Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to accusump and VSS sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Access to accusump and VSS sensor

On my T1 car, it appears the accusump is leaking. It is located in the LF fender. What is the best way to access this? Should I take off the fender? What about the inner fender?

I have a code VSS vault 0500. Speed sensor (no speed indicated on speedo.) It was bouncing around from time to time. Connector in diff looks fine. The rest of the harness is not really accessable. Where is the best place to access this for troubleshooting? Does this signal run directly to the PCM?

Thanks!

Tim
Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll help you out with the accusump part. The easiest and best way to do your work on it is to remove the fender. The first time you do it...as long as you dont rush it and follow these instructions, you'll have it off in no time. What you might find is that the blow off valve is where the oil came from, sometimes with whatever pressure is in there plus heat it releases some pressure spraying a bit of oil.

These are great instructions for taking off the fender.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...with-pics.html

Heres what it looks like under there..

Last edited by GettReal; 05-21-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Thanks GettReal, that's what I was looking for!

I bet you get a lot of attention with that car up in Ontario. I took my 01z up there (Burlington) for a few months to work in 05 and it was pretty popular. Great place. Cheers, Tim
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
What you might find is that the blow off valve is where the oil came from, sometimes with whatever pressure is in there plus heat it releases some pressure spraying a bit of oil.

i believe this is something my accusump does as well - on occasion. very messy situation.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably just take the lower access panel off and inspect everything with a telescoping mirror. I have done the fender removal once and it was a pain. Lining it up can be a chore but since it is a race care it won't matter as much.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tim

There are two tricky nuts to get at. Take out the nuts / bolts under car rocker panels first. They deep inside the fender up to the door frame / jam. Once those are out, the fender is easy
Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've noticed mine seeping a bit of oil as well and I wondered if it was the blow off valve. I did remove all the torx and the 7mm screws and pulled the fender out a bit without having to totall remove it. It moved enough so I could inspect. Everything seemed tight. Blow off valve could be the answer.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
i believe this is something my accusump does as well - on occasion. very messy situation.
Originally Posted by argonaut
I've noticed mine seeping a bit of oil as well and I wondered if it was the blow off valve. I did remove all the torx and the 7mm screws and pulled the fender out a bit without having to totall remove it. It moved enough so I could inspect. Everything seemed tight. Blow off valve could be the answer.
The good thing about taking off the fender is that you can totally clean up the inside of the fender to help diagnose where it might be coming from. I finally ended up replacing my blow off valve with a new one from canton and it hasnt happened so far. I had a generic pressure valve on there before.

My friends laugh at my DIY story because I wasnt thinking (AT ALL) when I was doing it and I pulled up the valve while there was still pressure in it.. all I can tell you is that Mobil1 being shot into your mouth and eyes at 60psi... SUCKS..>I still clean up oil off my garage ceiling.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Ha, I've had them squirt me before. I got to mine pretty easily. Took about 15 minutes. I think it was the pressure relief, probably the air side was not set up properly. I set it up again and it seems fine now. We'll see at the track.

Rang out the wires from the VSS to the PCM, looks ok, so i am going to get a new sensor.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Access to accusump and VSS sensor

Quick Reply: Access to accusump and VSS sensor