Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Flip" video cams - anyone with experience/feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Flip" video cams - anyone with experience/feedback?

It's time to replace the old school Sony camcorder w/mini cassette and someone mentioned the Flip vid camera. They make cams with 1, 2 or 4 hour recording capability and HD or non-HD.

Here's their top of the line, 6 ounce, 4hr/16gig HD unit with a 'full size' widescreen: http://store.theflip.com/en-us/products/SlideHD.aspx

Of interest is their "Action Tripod" which doubles as a helmet mount (I cycle a LOT) and I imagine can be strapped to a harness bar as well:
http://store.theflip.com/en-us/produ...aspx?SKU=AAT1B

So their top of the line cam with the tripod is approx. $300....no Vette tax here!

The features sound cool and it seems quite easy to use/make/upload vids - less time downloading and more time tracking.

Has anyone used one of these in their cars yet and can provide real world feedback??

Thanks,
Phil

P.S. I'm more than willing and eager to hear other options. I had an original GoPro and did not like it...it EATS batteries and I missed out on several once is a lifetime French Alpe descents.

NO removable memory card-that's one drawback.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's another option to check out: Aiptek

It's high definition and uses SD cards that can hold a couple of hours video.

Insert the SD card in your computer and you can view your track event in HD. No conversion, no fuss, no muss.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:29 AM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the original GoPro and wasn't all that convinced either.

Bought the HD version on the recommendation of a friend.
Glad I did.
HD picture, better sound, longer battery (li-ion rechargeable).
The only short-comings is that the feature allowing to film upside down is implemented yet, but should be in the future via software update, and that you kind of have to gestimate to aim it.

Overall very satisfied. way better than the first version. I recommend it if the main use you want to do is filming your car adventures. It's made for that, inside or outside the car.

Here is an example posted on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUah5IvdKo
Keep in mind youtube reduces the video quality a bit to save space.

Cheers,
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem I've noticed with all these small digital recorders is they are pretty much useless in low light. Even in bright sun some of them are a little dark.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Falcon
Here's another option to check out: Aiptek

It's high definition and uses SD cards that can hold a couple of hours video.

Insert the SD card in your computer and you can view your track event in HD. No conversion, no fuss, no muss.
I also have an Aiptek A-HD+1080 that records in both 720p and 1080p HD and it works really great. It uses an SD card but to get 60 minutes of recording at 1080, you need a minimum of a 4GB card. The sound quality is not the best, but it's actually as good as my old Sony Hi8 tape camera. Check out their website

I use a ChaseCam mount on my harness bar and it does a good job of holding the camera which really has no weight to it.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeavyRightFooT

Glad I did.
The only short-comings is that the feature allowing to film upside down is implemented yet, but should be in the future via software update, and that you kind of have to gestimate to aim it.

Overall very satisfied. way better than the first version. I recommend it if the main use you want to do is filming your car adventures. It's made for that, inside or outside the car.

Here is an example posted on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUah5IvdKo

Cheers,
That is a ton better than the original Gopro
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

this thread is relevant to my interests. I got ripped off bigtime by a Samsung cam that cost $450 and is the biggest POS ever. I need an alternative.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is a quick vid using my Aiptek with $29 wide angle lense from Amazon. I have an 8G card so I get all day on one card. I record in 720p at 60fps. It looks awesome on my 110" tv. I will post some more vids for driving analysis when I get some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSUzhPXKYTk

You can watch it in hd on youtube.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I used a bottom line flip that only took 15 min of video and it came out really good. I would think the top of the line ones would be awesome! Here is me at Nelson Ledges using the flip.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

used my Flip once for autox

hasn't worked since

guess is wasn't up to the shock loads
Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
waktasz
Pro

I have a Kodak zx1 that I really like. They have a 1080p version out now too. It takes regular AA batteries and comes with rechargeables, and also uses mini SD cards. I don't like cameras with limited built in storage. Cheaper than the Flip too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P08oMxSgQwM
Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
C5-vette
Racer

This was made with a Flip HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wx0KyP2QwY
Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got a somewhat pricey Sony videocam but I use an inexpensive Flip Ultra videocam in the car at the track. I'm not looking for cinema quality video...the Flip suffices fine for my purposes and it actually does quite well. When I first got the flip I threaded the straps of the mounting attachment through the vent slats on the dashboard and with a little tape to secure it the camera mounted fine behind the windshield. It worked pretty well and there was no wind noise being the camera was right behind the windshield.

I now mount the Flip on my roll bar. To get the right height I made a PVC camera 'mount' which I attach to the roll bar with band clamps. I augment the velcro straps with tape to better secure the mounting attachment/camera. With the camera mounted on the roll bar I also have to tape a piece of foam over the microphone to reduce the wind noise. One consideration is I always have to start the camera in the paddock...it's impossible to turn it on when I'm strapped in the seat on the starting grid. Consequently, I get a lot of worthless video which I have to edit out later. I often take my laptop to the track and download video when the camera's full (to make space for additional videotaping). Oh yea, bring extra batteries with you.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I had to replace my Panosonic DCM that lasted three years.

I tried my daughters base Flip and it worked so good I went out and bought the FlipUltraHd today.

It has rechargeable battery but can use a couple of AA if you want. It stores 8GB on built in flash. I like not having the card .... I can sell my 8GB SDH card now. Its very simple to use and I tested it today with very impressive HD results

It will see track duty on saturday. I will try to post results. And you will be able to see plenty of video in the SoCal section on the Corvette Challenge WSIR download next week (just search my name but the thread should be at or near top of SoCal)

DH
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Originally Posted by HeavyRightFooT

Glad I did.

Cheers,
Thats a really clear camera for youtube. Geeze i want one.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a flip HD as well. I haven't had the chance to shoot any video but here is a link to add a cheap wide angle lense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZN_UYPhwpM
Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used both the Aiptek and a Flip for autox and been impressed by both.

Get notified of new replies

To "Flip" video cams - anyone with experience/feedback?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the Flip in my car for HPDE's and it works well.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by apexman
I have a flip HD as well. I haven't had the chance to shoot any video but here is a link to add a cheap wide angle lense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZN_UYPhwpM
I just set mine to zoom out and gave it a test drive on some local streets ..... it was great. I don't see the need for any lenses

DH
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
I use the Flip in my car for HPDE's and it works well.
Good to hear. I'm going to use my new FlipHD duct taped to passenger seat and Zoomed OUT. How do you set zoom on yours.

I will also have my daughters regular Flip taped to the back of my car. Should be interesting.

DH

Quick Reply: "Flip" video cams - anyone with experience/feedback?