Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR good to bed new pads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default VIR good to bed new pads??

Got new rotors and new pads. Carbotech says track only for bedding. Anyone successfully bed new pads at VIR?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The bedding procedure is the same whether you're on a track or a road. I think Carbotech is just offering advice since bedding brakes on public roads may confuse other drivers or pedestrians.
I've seen people bed their brakes on the road at VIR betw the gate and the paddock. I don't know how VIR feels about this; it could lead to a discussion w/ officials.
I no longer sweat it w/ bedding pads. I'll go out in a normal session and bed the brakes. Come in early, stay out of traffic. There have been times I've gone from new pads to the grid to race w/o bedding and not had any trouble.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had different results with different pads and just can't seem to find the ideal situation. I have roilled smoke out from Hawk, crumbled wilwoods into dust, smeared EBC and glazed a dozen rotors or more. I guess I'll have to run a few laps and see what happens, let them cool and see if the rotors are glazed. Of course, after the first fade I get to come in and listen for the new rotor to crack.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bed the pads tomorrow be for loading up.

really should bed pads Before you get to the track
Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't Carbotech offer their pads now pre-bedded if you want them that way?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
Doesn't Carbotech offer their pads now pre-bedded if you want them that way?
Prebedding is a falsehood. The object of bedding is to "embed" pad material into the rotors. How would any company sell you pre-bedded pads without your rotors?

Bob
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Got new rotors and new pads. Carbotech says track only for bedding. Anyone successfully bed new pads at VIR?
Art,

I've been racing on Carbs for 5 years now. What I have found is that all you really need to do with them is transfer a bit of pad material onto the rotor. This can easily be done on the first lap or 2. Just work the brake on and off for the lap to put some heat and material on them, then run the next lap or 2 without touching the brake for some cooling. You will be fine after that. More often than not I have actually gone out on new rotors and pads and the bedding process was the race, or pad transfer was done with 15-0 stops in the paddock ( away from everyone ) and still no issues.

Joe
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bedding pads? I just put them on and haul ***.

Tim

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Art,

I've been racing on Carbs for 5 years now. What I have found is that all you really need to do with them is transfer a bit of pad material onto the rotor. This can easily be done on the first lap or 2. Just work the brake on and off for the lap to put some heat and material on them, then run the next lap or 2 without touching the brake for some cooling. You will be fine after that. More often than not I have actually gone out on new rotors and pads and the bedding process was the race, or pad transfer was done with 15-0 stops in the paddock ( away from everyone ) and still no issues.

Joe
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Bedding pads? I just put them on and haul ***.

Tim
I was trying to be a little bit politically correct!! If you say you don't bed pads around some places you get dogpiled!

Joe
Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like the instructions that came with mine, I could do on the street. I wouldn't want to waste any track time bedding pads.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I was trying to be a little bit politically correct!! If you say you don't bed pads around some places you get dogpiled!

Joe
Heck Joe, I've had to bed pads on the pace lap before Green Green Green. I'm sure you have to.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Oakie Dokie! I am gonna run 'em hot for a few laps and then come in to let them cool and if they glaze over, smolder and crumble I will blame it on all my friends!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Oakie Dokie! I am gonna run 'em hot for a few laps and then come in to let them cool and if they glaze over, smolder and crumble I will blame it on all my friends!
Then you can just sit around and drink beer!

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

rotors / pads will not last as long if you just go to the track and hammer them no matter how expensive they are. They need bedded the day before pads and rotors. Have I taken stuff out and hammered it yes but it cost you in the long run.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I've had different results with different pads and just can't seem to find the ideal situation. I have roilled smoke out from Hawk, crumbled wilwoods into dust, smeared EBC and glazed a dozen rotors or more. I guess I'll have to run a few laps and see what happens, let them cool and see if the rotors are glazed. Of course, after the first fade I get to come in and listen for the new rotor to crack.
what wilwood pad did you crumble?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what wilwood pad did you crumble?
A's ? I forget. Actually, my pad experience has not really been that consistent no matter the brand. I try to bed correctly. I have followed Hawk's recommendation of taping up the ducts and progressively slow from higher speeds. I have gone to fade with most pads and cooled at least 30, etc... Of course, cycling and down time between events might also contribute to the problem. yeah? and my rotors are from here and there, also. Well, I now see my problem; I need to be more consistent with procedure and discriminate with all equipment and keep records of experience better.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

A's ? I forget. Actually, my pad experience has not really been that consistent no matter the brand. I try to bed correctly. I have followed Hawk's recommendation of taping up the ducts and progressively slow from higher speeds. I have gone to fade with most pads and cooled at least 30, etc... Of course, cycling and down time between events might also contribute to the problem. yeah? and my rotors are from here and there, also. Well, I now see my problem; I need to be more consistent with procedure and discriminate with all equipment and keep records of experience better.
That A compound is really a street pad as I remember?

Get notified of new replies

To VIR good to bed new pads??

Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Heck Joe, I've had to bed pads on the pace lap before Green Green Green. I'm sure you have to.
You know, I'm like you guys, I can't remember the last time I had time to bed brakes properly. I try some hard whoaaas on the pace lap and then it's haul ***, and hope like hell that the devil takes care of the details.

They'll sometimes have a good bit of vibration under hard braking the first lap or 2, but that goes away or maybe I don't notice it after that.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
That A compound is really a street pad as I remember?
"A" pad is still their highest temp/highest bite pad

things eat rotors like made, like a lathe

they work awesome though

one of those "these teams used X pad/caliper" posts that Gary H. posted last year still had a ton of Cup teams using the "A" pad.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I doubt he crumbled an A pad.

Quick Reply: VIR good to bed new pads??