Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coleman vs. DBA

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coleman vs. DBA

I did a track autocross - basically HPDE with space between cars... After the second lap, my stopping distance was increasing. I was hot lapping, so I was essentially running laps. I intend to do more HPDE / lapping days and don't want to deal with this. I autocross as a first priority and don't want to get into a class that aftermarket brakes dictates.

I have DBA 4000 rotors Carbotech 10s, and run ATE fluid. I just added Quantum ducts and expect improvement.

Two questions:

1. The DBAs don't appear directional other than the slots. Further, the "kangaroo paws" don't look, to me, like they have any impeller properties. The Colemans look like they'd move alot of air and run cooler. Any sense to this? And do the AL hats offer any heat benefit?

2. I looked at the DRM stainless pistons. AL obviously conducts heat more effeciently - my supposition is that they'd be beneficial initially but when everything comes to temperature it's a wash. Any sense to this?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you read this Sticky in this section?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 07-09-2010, 09:28 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ducts will help a great deal but the stock air intake for them is not optimal, I am going to add a small scoop to them to see if it helps. If not I have WC ducts that take it directly from the sides of the grill.

Alot of guys run the DBA and they seem to work quite well but I have looked at the idea of running the Colemans as well, I have DBA 4000 now, will switch to two piece fronts next time due, 4-5 lbs less per front corner is a big deal

Not sure if the hats help with heat though they may release some before it gets to the hubs which would be a very good thing.

SS pistons, I have them for my setup, DRM would not make them if they did not serve a very useful purpose, period, trust those guys
They have been selling them for some time for other calipers, I recently got the very first set released for the C6Z calipers.

I know Quantum was working on a set some time ago and told me it cured the major issue with these calipers and were testing really well on the track. I think what we are dealing with is not so much heat soak, aluminum will just keep pumping heat into the fluid where SS does so much less, that is the only thing I can think of that would make them a viable product and again, if DRM makes them you know they are good.

My brake setup is similar to yours,

XP10/8 pads(one piece for C6Z calipers)
Quantum ducts
DBA 4000 rotors
Goodrich SS lines
DRM SS pistons (for the fronts)

Those pads are a bit much for the street at times but I never have to change them out, I can live with a bit of noise(more so on a hot day and they are warmed up a bit) dusty but they do not eat paint, wheels, etc....work when cold, hot, wet, I love them

I have to watch out on the street, I have so much stopping power on the NTO5 tires I can stop so quickly without inducing ABS and could easily get rear ended!

Hope this helps a bit, I have not made it to the track on this setup yet but I expect to not have really great rotor life, I use brakes pretty hard but trying to retrain myself to use them less

Rick
Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by Zenak
Have you read this Sticky in this section?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Every word. Great write up and appreciated. I've referred to it many times on other issues as well.

Now getting into pretty specific detail...
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
Ducts will help a great deal but the stock air intake for them is not optimal, I am going to add a small scoop to them to see if it helps. If not I have WC ducts that take it directly from the sides of the grill.
Interesting - the standard ducts into the wheel well removed for the Z06 ducts should work well.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

would go colemans right off the bat. rather then buying dba and then upgrading to colemans.

i wish i would have. woulda saved some cash that way
Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
would go colemans right off the bat. rather then buying dba and then upgrading to colemans.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop

Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

We have a 2 piece rotor for the C6 Z06 using Coleman Racing rings and we machine the aluminum hats ourselves in house. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, are a direct bolt in replacement, are vented correctly, directional, slotted only - no holes, and weigh 9.75 pounds less then the stock rotor. Yes, that is each rotor.

Give us a call if you are interested or have any further questions. We also stock the Quantum duct kit, and heat shield.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I forgot yours are that much lighter, that is a huge amount!

When I get done with a few more pressing matters I will be giving you a call

Rick
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Colman

Call Robert
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
We have a 2 piece rotor for the C6 Z06 using Coleman Racing rings and we machine the aluminum hats ourselves in house. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, are a direct bolt in replacement, are vented correctly, directional, slotted only - no holes, and weigh 9.75 pounds less then the stock rotor. Yes, that is each rotor.

Give us a call if you are interested or have any further questions. We also stock the Quantum duct kit, and heat shield.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
How much lighter on Z51? Do you make Z51 rears w/parking brake?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by avizandum
How much lighter on Z51? Do you make Z51 rears w/parking brake?
We have fronts and rears, both with and without the parking brake, for the C6 Z06, C6 Z51, and C5/C6 base. I don't know the weight savings for the Z51 from memory, I will have to check on Monday when I get back to the office. I believe it was pretty close to the same though.

Robert
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

on your site I can't find the 2 pc C5 fronts anymore?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by drivinhard
on your site I can't find the 2 pc C5 fronts anymore?
Our website has been redesigned....finaly. Products are still being loaded onto it. We still have all the sizes available.
Robert
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Colemans on my TTU time trials car. I am very impressed with their performance. I recommend them.

I wish I had them on my ST2 car. Maybe next season.

Cheers,
CV
Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aluminum hats drastically reduce the heat soak of the wheel bearing assembly, which is obviously a good thing. Stainless pistons in the calipers go a long ways towards keeping the heat out of the fluid. The catch with your fluid, especially if you don't Sunday drive around the track, is how frequently you change it. I ran an HPDE a few months back where I was getting to 6500 RPM in 5th gear in my '07 Z on the back straight, going right into a 30 MPH left hand 180 degree hairpin. Easy on the brakes, right? With Motul 600, I boiled the fluid in 5 laps, but I hadn't changed the fluid in 6 months (DOH! Didn't think about it until I was coasting back to the paddock). Did a full brake system fluid flush, and was fine the rest of the day.

Keep in mind you have to change the brake fluid regularly if you're tracking the car. Buying high temp fluid isn't enough. On an 80 degree day, I saw rotor temps of 1350 and brake fluid temps of 420 with a stock C6 Z (suspension stuff but no brake or motor upgrades) and Cobalt GTS pads. 420 is WELL under the dry boiling temp of Motul, ATE, Castrol, etc, but is near the wet boiling point of all of those.

Get notified of new replies

To Coleman vs. DBA

Quick Reply: Coleman vs. DBA