Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers are just like cars, mods require more mods. Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Trailers are just like cars, mods require more mods. Pictures

EDIT: Updated pictures in POST !8 with new supports!

Forum members Rednels and TorontoC6 were correct in their observations.

Last year I upgraded my Trailer to heavier capacity axles and went from 15"to 16" wheels. As a result it raised the trailer making the rear door a steeper incline when loading/unloading my cars. When I had trouble loading my C5 I knew loading the Beast would be impossible without 15 pieces of wood.

I had a riser built and put on 4" bumpers. I also scrapped the single fold out ramp I had -- then had separate 2' wide ramps built and made 18" longer.

The transition piece was flattened out to make a smooth pull into the trailer between the door and the beaver tail.

I wasn't interested in jacking up the front of the trailer looking for hills to load/unload.

The pics don't really illustrate how high the trailer sits now. The end result came out great leaving me a gradual incline.

I added a pull out step as well.

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 04-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly what I have been wanting to do.
Your setup looks great.
Question, is that hinge for the folding ramps strong enough to hold the weight of the car? I was worried that by putting the riser with bumpers on the door that when the ramps were left "floating" on nothing but the hinge that it wouldn't be strong enough.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rednels
Your setup looks great.
Question, is that hinge for the folding ramps strong enough to hold the weight of the car? I was worried that by putting the riser with bumpers on the door that when the ramps were left "floating" on nothing but the hinge that it wouldn't be strong enough.

I can try to get better detailed pictures for you as this was my camera phone. The hinges are very strong. The actual hinge has plenty of thicker material on both sides of it that offer support when opened up. If you look at the 5th pic posted with the ramps folded up, you can see that when the ramps are unfolded, the hinge itself never really bears the weight.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg i'm so jealous! lol
i just have a 26' enclosed basic trailer... that's like 7 years old that i bought off racingjunk haha
Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike,
I would love to see some better pics because I just don't see how the hinge isn't taking that load. Im probably just being stupid and missing it.

But man that looks good and is exactly what I thought of in my head. Im tired of toting around ramps and pieces of wood. Its a PITA.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Watch out for those low bridges now
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Mike,
I would love to see some better pics because I just don't see how the hinge isn't taking that load. Im probably just being stupid and missing it.

But man that looks good and is exactly what I thought of in my head. Im tired of toting around ramps and pieces of wood. Its a PITA.
Nice job on the trailer mods but based on the pictures I would have to agree that the hinges are going to take load. When your front tires are on the first ramps, a fair portion of the weight from the front of the car will supported by the hinges. The front of the ramps touch the ground but the back appear only to be supported by the hinges.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Mike,

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
Nice job on the trailer mods but based on the pictures I would have to agree that the hinges are going to take load. When your front tires are on the first ramps, a fair portion of the weight from the front of the car will supported by the hinges. The front of the ramps touch the ground but the back appear only to be supported by the hinges.

Guys,

This setup is exactly what I've been running for years. In fact the old one piece extension ramp I removed was 1.5 times heavier than these two separate ramps and was supported by the same hinge you see here.

I guess the pics don't really illustrate it. The extension pieces actually have material that rest on the unfolded rear door, and it's that material that's bearing the weight.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some pics of the old setup which worked flawlessly until the trailer was raised. Those here who have seen the trailer at various event know how sturdy it is. You can see in these pics the extension piece appeared to have no support as well but wasn't the case.

Anyway I just thought I'd show a setup that does work for higher trailers and/or low clearance cars.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

love that trailer step, was it custom built or off the shelf ? also care to share the price?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

looks great Mike, someone out at autobahn fab that up for you?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Watch out for those low bridges now
Ha, thanks Tom, I'm a ways off the 13.6-14' semis.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redvetracr
love that trailer step, was it custom built or off the shelf ? also care to share the price?
I don't believe the trailer step itself was custom built, but the fabrication to mount it, align how far it should extend and install it was.

I don't know parts vs labor but that portion of my bill was a little over $300.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
looks great Mike, someone out at autobahn fab that up for you?
No, I took it to a trailer fabricator (RA Adams).
Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Un O, I think you are right. I am having a tire rack being put into my trailer now!

I gave up trying to get the perfect ramp and just bought a couple of 2 X 12 and just throw them down. However, mine does not look ar nice as yours.

Jim
Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Mike, very similar long low angle as mine. My goal was to have one straight line from the beavertail all the way to the ground. This setup worked very well last time I towed the car, but it may require some planks now with the diffuser and race splitter on the car.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Mike, the trailer looks great. JD

Get notified of new replies

To Trailers are just like cars, mods require more mods. Pictures

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Your setup looks great.
Thanks Mike,

Originally Posted by TorontoC6

Thanks for the kind words and for being spot on!

The ramps held up for the Miata no problem, but both vettes stressed the rivets too much. The tunnel bridge that runs the length of the ramps underneath are holding up fine.

My previous single extension piece had more support when it was unfolded , these two single ramps did not and you both correctly identified the weak link.

You can see in the pics below the rivets were replaced by sawed-off screws and the single ramps now have very sturdy supports that remove all the stress from the hinge, as it should have been initially.

It's one solid setup now.

Mike
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is that trailer mike? Do you ever wish you went with a longer goose?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Toll roads and the number of toll booths / Easy Pass readers in and around Chicago almost make three axle trails very very expensive.

Quick Reply: Trailers are just like cars, mods require more mods. Pictures