Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech or hawks

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
BIG SURPRISE
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Carbotech or hawks

Sold my Porsche GT3 and got a 2009 Z06. I've changed the rotors to DBA 4000's and the fluid to Motul 600. I'll do 6 or 8 DE's here in Florida on NT05's in stock sizes. Looking at the DTC 70/60 or the Carbotech XP10/8 in the one piece pads. Advice on what works for you please.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Full disclosure: I am biased...use Carbotechs.

I think the performance is better (yes, I have used both on the same car), and the Carbotechs don't seem to dirty up the wheels nearly as much, and are much easier on brake rotors.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive used both and I am using carbotech 10 and 8 now and they are fantastic.

I will never go back to hawks
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with Buckeye. The Hawks dirty up the car more than the Carbotech pads.

FWIW, I would say the XP12/10 is more equivalent to DTC-70/60. XP10/8 is more for smaller circuits with shorter sessions.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, the DTC70s will overpower the available traction of your tires. I've been using the Carbotech 10/8 with NT05s and they seem pretty well-matched. Worth a try....
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM
BIG SURPRISE
Instructor

Thanks for all the replys. Seems the Carbotech will work best.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Carbotechs ... are much easier on brake rotors.
This.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always used Carbotech pads on my track cars and thought they did well. But I just switched over from them to Hawk DTC-70's and so far I love the way the pedal feels.

Not knocking the Carbotech's as they are good pads... but for me, Hawk wins.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hawk seems to have greater initial bite.

Two different companies and brake compounds and need two different braking styles
Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

They are both great pads - you won't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hawk seems to have greater initial bite.

Two different companies and brake compounds and need two different braking styles
I found myself applying brake a little sooner with the Carbo's. Not necessarily bad, just a little easier and sooner transition into the braking. Probably better for those that need a little better speed sensing for when to let off the brake.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I've had issues in the past with the pedal feel being softer on the Carbo's, compared to Hawks. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I was running Nitto NT-05s earlier this year and all of last year. Ran the XP10/XP8 combo at the beginning of the season. The 10s lasted just over one day while the 8s still had a lot of life. For over $300 in the front pads they just didn't hold up well. I have also used the Cobalt CSR pads front and rear. Very good pads with good life front and rear but again expensive. For a long time I used Hawk HP+ with the Nittos. Good price and they last for about 3 events. The only issue is if you are driving at an advanced or instructor level they overheat and lose some ability to slow the car near the end of a session. I used the single piece Carbos and Cobalts and the padlets with the HP+. Single piece are somewhat easier to change and can prevent the loss of brakes if a pad guide pin falls out (as has happened to some people on this board). The padlets can fall out of the caliper if a guide pin falls out of the caliper but they can be mixed and matched to maximize the amount of use you get out of them. As they wear I move them around from front to rear and side to side.

I went with Coleman AFX rotors in May to see if I could get better rotor life than the stock rotors. I was getting about 5 days of use out of a set of stock front and rear rotors before they cracked. Didn't seem to matter which pads (excluding the CarboTech since they were only on the car two days) I used rotor life was about the same.

I have subsequently gone to Wilwood W6A calipers in the front of the car so I am back to using the Wilwood H pads I liked so much on my C5Z. I have been using the XP8s in the rear to use them up. Once they are gone I will use up the CSR rear pads.

The Wilwoods make brake service much easier. Pad changes are a breeze and the pads are cheaper and last longer as well. By the way from what I have been told the Raybestos ST43 compound is the same as the H. I will be switching to those once my other supplies have been used up.

If you are just starting with the Z I will make the same recommendation others made to me two years ago. Spend the money now for a set of Stop Techs or Wilwoods right now and your life will be easier and you will save money in a matter of three to four years. I wish I would have listened then.

Bill
Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I've had issues in the past with the pedal feel being softer on the Carbo's, compared to Hawks. Anyone else experienced this?
The Hawk pad preforms like an on/off switch, where Carbotech builds modulation in the pad, this may be what your talking about.

Modulation is the process of a driver accurately controlling the amount of brake power required without locking the wheel. Brake modulation is having the ability to consistently increase and decrease the amount of bite from your brake pads at will. The driver has complete control of his/her brake pedal at all times. By controlling the amount of force being applied by the calipers, the driver can use the brakes their advantage in the braking zone and into the first part of the corner. It’s as if the brake pedal is giving feedback to the driver which can be beneficial to a drivers lap times, and therefore help you keep your race car under control and on the track.

As many top level and pro drivers will tell you, being able to modulate and trail brake into the first part of the corner is essential to producing the fastest possible lap times. Yes, we were all taught to brake, down shift, and then turn into the corner. That is the best way to start off, and that’s probably the safest way to start your racing career. But the fact is that there are truly only a handful of corners where you do all the braking before turning in. To run with the best you need to learn how to keep modulating your brake pedal as your entering the first part of a corner. Modulation is what Carbotech built its solid reputation on. Modulation is a cornerstone for Carbotech Performance Brakes.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

I prefer to keep my brake rotor in 1 piece, so I use carbotech.

*I'm not stating that hawk DTC70's are not great pads, they work very well.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
The Hawk pad preforms like an on/off switch, where Carbotech builds modulation in the pad, this may be what your talking about.

Modulation is the process of a driver accurately controlling the amount of brake power required without locking the wheel. Brake modulation is having the ability to consistently increase and decrease the amount of bite from your brake pads at will. The driver has complete control of his/her brake pedal at all times. By controlling the amount of force being applied by the calipers, the driver can use the brakes their advantage in the braking zone and into the first part of the corner. It’s as if the brake pedal is giving feedback to the driver which can be beneficial to a drivers lap times, and therefore help you keep your race car under control and on the track.

As many top level and pro drivers will tell you, being able to modulate and trail brake into the first part of the corner is essential to producing the fastest possible lap times. Yes, we were all taught to brake, down shift, and then turn into the corner. That is the best way to start off, and that’s probably the safest way to start your racing career. But the fact is that there are truly only a handful of corners where you do all the braking before turning in. To run with the best you need to learn how to keep modulating your brake pedal as your entering the first part of a corner. Modulation is what Carbotech built its solid reputation on. Modulation is a cornerstone for Carbotech Performance Brakes.

Particularly as a former Miata driver where being smooth compressing braking zones and carrying corner exit speed is all you have to work with. At least in the lower DE levels, most Vette drivers playing right foot point and shoot were leaving lot of time on the table in braking zones and corner exit speed.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I am a Carbotech user, as is my wife. She came from EBC Yellow. Her first response after using the Carbs (XP10/XP8) was to come off track and hit me. She complained that the new brakes stopped too well, and she had to revise all her reference points. They were that much better. She's faster now though. I have to say, I really like the XP12 pad on the vette so far. Good modulation, excellent power.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech or hawks

Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM
BIG SURPRISE
Instructor

Thanks again for all the info. At this point I'm thinking Carbotech or Cobalts. Cobalts might cost a little more but I'm being told they might have a little more life. This comes from both Porsche and Vette owners that I know. I've got a few more weeks till my next event at Barber to make my mind up. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG SURPRISE
Thanks again for all the info. At this point I'm thinking Carbotech or Cobalts. Cobalts might cost a little more but I'm being told they might have a little more life. This comes from both Porsche and Vette owners that I know. I've got a few more weeks till my next event at Barber to make my mind up. Thanks again.
I used the Cobalt’s for two seasons and went back to Carbotech’s. I didn’t see any more life with the Cobalt’s. Wear was the same on both. You really have to match the compound to your driving style and track. On tracks like Lime Rock I use XP10 on tracks like VIR I use XP12. You just have to experiment and keep records.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by BIG SURPRISE
Give me a call I will be happy to help you out.

Quick Reply: Carbotech or hawks