Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you want as your track car?
Stock Z06
77.14%
C6 w/$10K in mods
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Z06 or Modded C6 for track day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 PM
HomeRun217
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Poll: Z06 or Modded C6 for track day?

Hey all -

I'm looking to get a vette that will serve as a second car and track toy (autocross, road racing, drag).

I'm considering a 2005-07 vette with ~30k miles, my budget is 35-40k.

For track purposes and overall enjoyment, would I be better off purchasing a Z06 and keeping it basically stock, or getting a regular C6 and dumping $10k of mods in to it?

Perhaps some of you have owned both and could share your experiences?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Z. It's a better platform in every way. Dont forget, you'll end up dropping minimum $10k no matter which car you get. Modifications are what keep racing fun and new.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

(autocross, road racing, drag).
are Two Different Cars with Three different set ups.

buy a C5Z and as hamdog said you WILL put $10K Min in the C5Z anyway.

Cooling, water, oil, diff, brakes
Brake pads, fluid
Tires, wheels

Seats, harnessbar or roll cage

then nothing but seat time

Good Luck

C5s do not have the TMPS headaches that C6s have
Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
are Two Different Cars with Three different set ups.

buy a C5Z and as hamdog said you WILL put $10K Min in the C5Z anyway.

Cooling, water, oil, diff, brakes
Brake pads, fluid
Tires, wheels

Seats, harnessbar or roll cage

then nothing but seat time

Good Luck

C5s do not have the TMPS headaches that C6s have
I agree with everything above. I bought my C5Z last year for $22k and it already has everything AU N EGL listed (including a extra set of stock wheels and R-compounds) plus has heads/cam/intake/headers and makes 425rwhp.

If I had twice as much money into the car I wouldn't push it as hard and definitely wouldn't have twice as much fun. If you're just starting out, the car is definitely capable of much quicker laptimes than you are anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdog
Get the Z. It's a better platform in every way. Dont forget, you'll end up dropping minimum $10k no matter which car you get. Modifications are what keep racing fun and new.
I agree, but come to the exact opposite conclusion! You can have just as much fun and spend far less. You WILL spend $10K no matter what. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start with a used C5Z.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HomeRun217
Hey all -

I'm looking to get a vette that will serve as a second car and track toy (autocross, road racing, drag).

I'm considering a 2005-07 vette with ~30k miles, my budget is 35-40k.

For track purposes and overall enjoyment, would I be better off purchasing a Z06 and keeping it basically stock, or getting a regular C6 and dumping $10k of mods in to it?

Perhaps some of you have owned both and could share your experiences?

Thanks for your help
I have owned and raced both and modded many of each.
I would do the following between a LS3 Coupe vs early C6 Z06:
2008 Corvette 1LT 30,000
cam, headers, air box 4000
Big rad w. eoc 1200
coil overs 1800
Big sway bars 900
harness bar, harness, race seat 1000
18" wheels & sticky tires
Brake pads
Brake fluid

You will go faster in this combo than the stock Z plus the LS3 is much more reliable in stock form than the (pre 08) LS7

If you want to go even faster, buy a 02 Z06 and put 20k in mods and be more reliable than the LS3 or LS7 imho

Best Regards,
John Page
www.21stcenturymusclecars.com
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't let Chris see you recommending an LS3 on sticky tires without a dry sump.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy one done - Much cheaper!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM
HomeRun217
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
buy one done - Much cheaper!
Thought about this, but I really want to avoid a vette that's been molested by someone who can't drive properly. My fear is the longevity of a vette that's already been tracked for several thousand miles, plus time I'm going own it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

If you are planning on a dedicated track car then Fine tuning a car that already has a cage, suspension, sway bars, seats, brakes etc.... is far cheaper than building one. cents on the dollar.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my $0.02

You are oversimplifying your comparison to only include initial costs. This is a bad mistake. The Z06 is a MUCH MUCH more expensive car to run and maintain then a standard C6. Like owning a boat or running a real race car. The cost of the initial equipment is usually 1/3rd (or less) of the overall running costs.

So you can't just add $10k to the cost of a base C6 and say it is an equal comparison. If that was the case, I would say why are you wasting your time even thinking of a C6 when for just another $10k you can have a Z06. But that is not the case.

I came from a C5Z to a C6Z and my running costs tripled. Honestly, I think the best solution is a C5Z T1 car with a cage, fire suppression, and fully race legal if you so choose to decide...MUCH better investment than a C6Z and probably just as fast. If I was starting from scratch and had enough money to buy a second track dedicated car, it would ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT, buy an already preppared T1 car. If you are not going to race in T1 you can throw in a nasty cam & heads and be running with well preppared C6Z's. I know one guy (Bob from ECS) that has a 427 in his C5 with Penske's and all the goodies and I can barely hold him off, come to think of it, he has passed me on a few occasions and even with all his mods, his car doesn't costs what mine did.

From a safety stand point alone, the T1 option makes the most sense and building one yourself when there are SOOO many good ones available for even UNDER your price range is just stupid.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

95Jersey - EXACTLY! makes complete sense!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
HomeRun217
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Here is my $0.02

You are oversimplifying your comparison to only include initial costs. This is a bad mistake. The Z06 is a MUCH MUCH more expensive car to run and maintain then a standard C6. Like owning a boat or running a real race car. The cost of the initial equipment is usually 1/3rd (or less) of the overall running costs.

So you can't just add $10k to the cost of a base C6 and say it is an equal comparison. If that was the case, I would say why are you wasting your time even thinking of a C6 when for just another $10k you can have a Z06. But that is not the case.

I came from a C5Z to a C6Z and my running costs tripled. Honestly, I think the best solution is a C5Z T1 car with a cage, fire suppression, and fully race legal if you so choose to decide...MUCH better investment than a C6Z and probably just as fast. If I was starting from scratch and had enough money to buy a second track dedicated car, it would ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT, buy an already preppared T1 car. If you are not going to race in T1 you can throw in a nasty cam & heads and be running with well preppared C6Z's. I know one guy (Bob from ECS) that has a 427 in his C5 with Penske's and all the goodies and I can barely hold him off, come to think of it, he has passed me on a few occasions and even with all his mods, his car doesn't costs what mine did.

From a safety stand point alone, the T1 option makes the most sense and building one yourself when there are SOOO many good ones available for even UNDER your price range is just stupid.
I didn't include this in my original post because I want to try to be as unbiased as possible, but half the reason I want a C6 over C5 is looks. The C6 is a gorgeous car...

That being said, what you've stated above is what I needed to hear. I can probably get over the looks if the C6 is always in my rear mirror

Should I keep my search for a C5Z with mileage under 30k, or can I get away with one at say 40 or 50k and be okay mechanically?

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

30 or 50K and you will be fine.

LS6s are almost bullet proof

Good Luck'
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

My '00 FRC has been autocrossed and DE'd for 8 years, has almost 250,000 miles on her, only mechanical replacement has been the clutch when the pressure plate levers broke.

Mileage is not near the issue it used to be. Look for a C5 with 100K miles, put the savings into your mods.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM
HomeRun217
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Here is my $0.02

Money aside... is a prepped C6 better than an equally prepped C5Z? (powertrain, cooling, suspension, tires, cage, seats)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HomeRun217
Money aside... is a prepped C6 better than an equally prepped C5Z? (powertrain, cooling, suspension, tires, cage, seats)
C6s have the TPMS issues and the LS3 oiling issues.

TPMS issues put car into limp mode occasionally when you least expect it ( or running wheels with out the TPMs) will

Put in a Real Dry sump for the LS3, and work with the TPMs issues, and giddy up.

Everything else can be added as needed.

the LS3 is a heck of a power house engine but needs a dry sump.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Poll: Z06 or Modded C6 for track day?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

For a dedicated track car, the best buy for your money in a pre-built SCCA T1 (or NASA ST2) race car, hands down. Safe, fast and relatively inexpensive.

I built a T1 C6, and from personal experience it is expensive to build! But they do look great!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
HomeRun217
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdbmathews
For a dedicated track car, the best buy for your money in a pre-built SCCA T1 (or NASA ST2) race car, hands down. Safe, fast and relatively inexpensive.

I built a T1 C6, and from personal experience it is expensive to build! But they do look great!
This thing is going to by my 2nd car, has to be street legal and pass emissions and inspection. I do not think I'm going T-1...this is going to be a weekend racer, not dedicated. I expect to put about 5k miles on it a year.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

david farmer on here has a C6Z for sale, got some track prep on it

Quick Reply: Poll: Z06 or Modded C6 for track day?