Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time out in the C5Z. video.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st time out in the C5Z. video.

http://youtu.be/GVMx3YecxjE
http://youtu.be/DYxC6IeWNC4

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-08-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you and your passenger have helmets on?

First impressions:
  • Work on being much smoother with the application of your brakes and throttle.

Good luck with your Vette.

-
Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pumba
Did you and your passenger have helmets on?

First impressions:
  • Work on being much smoother with the application of your brakes and throttle.

Good luck with your Vette.

-
I wasn't going for laptimes and only pushing 80%.
Still learning to get a feel for her, definately not smooth enough yet.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

By your admission this was your first time out. By all rights there is no reason to believe I could do even as well as you...but I must say this is the first video I've watched that actually was frightening. You say you were only pushing it to 80%. If you had pushed it to 81% both you and your friend would have been in serious trouble. It's your car and your choice but we like having you around hereon the forum. PLEASE wear a helmet the next time ( and every time) you go out on the track.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbondfl
By your admission this was your first time out. By all rights there is no reason to believe I could do even as well as you...but I must say this is the first video I've watched that actually was frightening. You say you were only pushing it to 80%. If you had pushed it to 81% both you and your friend would have been in serious trouble. It's your car and your choice but we like having you around hereon the forum. PLEASE wear a helmet the next time ( and every time) you go out on the track.
First time in the Corvette yes.
Could not agree more, I am usually the guy telling everyone to be safe out there and here I am being stupid! The plan was to go out nice and easy (read slow), but somehow we got carried away in the moment.

another video

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 04-07-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
First time in the Corvette yes.
Could not agree more, I am usually the guy telling everyone to be safe out there and here I am being stupid! The plan was to go out nice and easy (read slow), but somehow we got carried away in the moment.

another video
The Z06 is one amazing car. Take time and learn how to use her and she will give you many years of fun memories. Go out take her for granted and she is a uncontrollable weapon. :-) Good job surviving the first outing :-)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Good car control skills at speed, definitely not a noob. However whoever let you out there driving at that speed with no helmet is going to get themselves in a lot of trouble.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Well, you invited comments by posting the vid, so here are mine.

You do have a knack for catching the car when it's loose, old tires & bad setup make it loose.

You need to watch a few more video's of the bad wrecks that happen, they happen with a LOT of regularity, so if you want to continue to have fun on tracks with an awesome car you need to get a clue.

The first clue is HELMETS! Buy one & buy one for your passengers. I can't believe anyone let you on a track without those. This filmed in some foreign country or what? I have seen some nutty stuff from Middle Eastern countries, maybe Saudi Arabia?

Try some autox, it'll teach you to be smooth & quick & pay many dividends when you track the car.

We can provide a lot of good feedback on this forum, but you won't be on here long unless you get a certain level seriousness about what we all do with Vettes.

There are guys like you & me on this forum who have wrecked bad & will never be the same, so think about it.

It often was not even their fault.

Watch out, how close you sit on another car in front & you don't know the driver or what he is going to do or not do.

First be safe & then go fast & have a lot of fun.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-07-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice drifting exhibition.

Those roll bars will hurt without a helmet!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:57 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah dude - get a helmet.

Other than that, I was surprised at how hard you pushed and how you handled the car. I almost didn't even bother to watch the video because most "first time in my ZO6" videos are pretty boring.

What's your experience level and with what cars? Most folks new to a C5 can't throw it around like that. Heck a lot of C5 regulars can't or don't either.

One other thing - is it the best idea to tow using a 2 wheel dolly like that?

Last edited by sperkins; 04-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sperkins
Yeah dude - get a helmet.

Other than that, I was surprised at how hard you pushed and how you handled the car. I almost didn't even bother to watch the video because most "first time in my ZO6" videos are pretty boring.

What's your experience level and with what cars? Most folks new to a C5 can't throw it around like that. Heck a lot of C5 regulars can't or don't either.

One other thing - is it the best idea to tow using a 2 wheel dolly like that?
I had a brand new SA2010 helmut with a full suit and shoes sitting in the minivan.
15yrs racing/lapping with 2yrs on a race bike, 2yrs go carts, 5yrs in an overpowered 03 Cobra, 3yrs in a Cobalt SS and now the Vette. Also do local autocross events on a regular basis just for fun.
So far the dolly is working out fine, it is all I have room for...

thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a brand new SA2010 helmut with a full suit and shoes sitting in the minivan.
15yrs racing/lapping with 2yrs on a race bike, 2yrs go carts, 5yrs in an overpowered 03 Cobra, 3yrs in a Cobalt SS and now the Vette. Also do local autocross events on a regular basis just for fun.
So far the dolly is working out fine, it is all I have room for...

thanks
Then you really have no excuse for NOT WEARING YOUR HELMET
Old 04-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
The Z06 is one amazing car. Take time and learn how to use her and she will give you many years of fun memories. Go out take her for granted and she is a uncontrollable weapon. :-) Good job surviving the first outing :-)
I was amazed how well the car responded to my inputs given the poor conditions - cold track, old tires! Great car.
thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm very surprised they let you on the track without an helmet. Never seen that before.

Nice vid. Ease up like you said and you'll be a lot smoother.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I'm very surprised they let you on the track without an helmet. Never seen that before.

Nice vid. Ease up like you said and you'll be a lot smoother.
It was an open lapping day, helmets recommended but not required. Pretty common around here...

thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

A lot of tracks have charity laps where you can get up to pretty good speed. The ones I've been to at VIR didn't require a helmet.

Nelson Ledges has FunDays. A helmet is required, but it doesn't have to be Snell SA rated.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait till you get it out at Mosport, you'll love seeing what the car does. TMP is "ok" but these cars love the big tracks. At at that level of driving.. you should have your helmet on... I know its recommended but for guys like you driving at 80%... what are you thinking?? LOL

Last edited by GettReal; 04-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st time out in the C5Z. video.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GettReal
Wait till you get it out at Mosport, you'll love seeing what the car does. TMP is "ok" but these cars love the big tracks. At at that level of driving.. you should have your helmet on... I know its recommended but for guys like you driving at 80%... what are you thinking?? LOL
Yep, can't wait for Mosport. What laptimes are you running at Mosport?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, can't wait for Mosport. What laptimes are you running at Mosport?
1:35's are my best lap times ... Most of the guys I run with there are in between low 30's or high 30's.. I'm kinda in the middle.. However, I have been running with motor issues the last two seasons.. Im hoping for some improvement this season.

There are also about 10 of us heading to Watkins Glen the end of this month. Its our kick off to the season. If you are interested, let me know, I think theres still room.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM
BossV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video :
I think you would be much faster if you were less on/off with the throttle. It seems you are constantly correcting with the steering wheel because your pedal is stuck down. A bit as if your throttle was blocked wide open!
The good thing is you correct well.

Quick Reply: 1st time out in the C5Z. video.