Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing ABS/EBTCM & Wheel Speed Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Removing ABS/EBTCM & Wheel Speed Sensors?

Hey Gang,

The EBTCM on my 99 FRC (w/ AH) died a while back & the car is now a dedicated track car. I'll be removing the inoperative system to save weight eventually, but it's just along for the ride as it is (not allowed in my class anyway). I've removed the bulbs in the IC & clear the 3 warnings that come up on the display after powering-up.

My question is, does the vehicle use the 4 wheel speed sensor inputs for anything else (to determine the vehicle speed, for example) or are they also along for the ride?

And, a follow up question - if the sensors are not needed, is there an SKF hub/bearing variant that doesn't have the sensors?

Last edited by darguy; 04-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

If the EBTCM is bad or is removed the wheel speed sensors are just along for the ride. I don't know of any hubs that you can buy without the sensors. I suspect the weight savings would be minimal if you could find them and their could be a difference in cost depending on production volumes of each type. It could turn out the ones without the sensors might cost more.

Bill
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
darguy
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. Sounds good - I'll just go with the SKF setup that folks seem to prefer. Yeah, the weight savings from the sensors would be minimal, but I'm guessing the vestigial ETBCM & ABS pump are worth removing - if for nothing else, than to improve air-flow and accessibility under the hood.

Do you know if there are lines available to bypass this & plumb a traditional setup, or would that be a custom job?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Just make sure you leave the factory bracket in place or the wheel won't turn freely.
Ask me how I know.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by darguy
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. Sounds good - I'll just go with the SKF setup that folks seem to prefer. Yeah, the weight savings from the sensors would be minimal, but I'm guessing the vestigial ETBCM & ABS pump are worth removing - if for nothing else, than to improve air-flow and accessibility under the hood.

Do you know if there are lines available to bypass this & plumb a traditional setup, or would that be a custom job?

I think you have to make Custom lines. You can do it in two parts. Pull the EBTCM until you get the lines made and then pull the BPMV.

Bill
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 AM
lukehil
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey just interested in what your doing here, and I might try this myself. Did you weigh the ABS setup after it was removed?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
jtmck
Instructor

Originally Posted by darguy
Hey Gang,

The EBTCM on my 99 FRC (w/ AH) died a while back & the car is now a dedicated track car. I'll be removing the inoperative system to save weight eventually, but it's just along for the ride as it is (not allowed in my class anyway). I've removed the bulbs in the IC & clear the 3 warnings that come up on the display after powering-up.

My question is, does the vehicle use the 4 wheel speed sensor inputs for anything else (to determine the vehicle speed, for example) or are they also along for the ride?

And, a follow up question - if the sensors are not needed, is there an SKF hub/bearing variant that doesn't have the sensors?

I am having some problems with my 1998.

Have you been running without ABS, but the unit is still in the system?
Do you get brake lockup?

Have you now removed the ABS system and run the direct lines?
If yes,
Does the system act differently with and without the brake lines running through the ABS unit?

What calipers and pads are you running?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You'll have to fabricate new brake lines. Forum member Geerookie actually relocated his EBCM unit inside the car in the passenger side footwell for weight distribution.

I could have sworn I read on here that a vendor was working on a traditional spindle setup that used re-packable bearings/hubs, but I never heard anything more on it. My father has a Panoz race car and it uses Coleman hubs that are fully serviceable. They're much cheaper to maintain vs. replacing hubs periodically like we have to do on these cars. That said, the SKF race hubs last a very long time.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B

I could have sworn I read on here that a vendor was working on a traditional spindle setup that used re-packable bearings/hubs, but I never heard anything more on it.
That was quite a while ago. I think BrianCunningham had developed some Solid Works models but don't know if it went any further.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Removing ABS/EBTCM & Wheel Speed Sensors?

Quick Reply: Removing ABS/EBTCM & Wheel Speed Sensors?