Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talking to people who think they're great drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Talking to people who think they're great drivers

I'm sure most of those of us who drive on track have come to the realization that we may be good, but we're just not "that" good. Before my first track day I used to think I was a good driver, a fast driver. Then I took my car to an auto-x, later progressing to track days. My humility went up as my experience increased. I now know I'm a better driver than the average knuckledragger because I've had exposure to people faster than me, I've learned by being taken to school.
In the last few weeks I've had several conversations with people about driving. Whenever I mention that I drive track events, and even instruct for a group that puts on track days, it always leads to something like this:
Guy who thinks he's fast, "yeah, I rode with this guy in his Porsche/Ferrari/Corvette and he couldn't believe how fast I was. 'I didn't know my car would do that'. Blah, blah, blah". Or, "yeah, I took this guy out for a ride and he said I should be a professional driver blah, blah, blah".
Granted, I haven't ridden with these people and for all I know they could be the next Senna. But odds are they aren't. It just seems to me any time the subject comes up it somehow turns into a "who's d**k is bigger" contest. Granted, I mention that I instruct, and that is a fact. But it's not something I bring up just to brag that I'm an instructor. The group uses instructors more for safety and basic car control than anything else. It's not Bondurant or anything, just a group that likes to go out on the weekends and bomb around the track for fun.
Does anybody else run into this kind of pissing match?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All the time, the biggest talkers are usually the slowest/most unsafe drivers.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

That reminds me of a guy parked by me at an event last year. He had a nice C6 ZO6. He started telling me how he was passing everyone and the group was so slow. I looked at his car again to identify what group he was running in and almost burst out laughing when I saw the HPDE1 designation.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Comparing myself to the average street driver is like saying I eat cereal better than a 1 year old. I think the average driver pays little attention and has no real idea how drive a car.

With that said, I will be the first to tell you I am slow and the car is far more capable than I am.

I've just started doing this, so I haven't run into many of these conversations yet, but I can easily see them going the way you describe.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You hear it every event...I keep my mouth shut knowing that I'm in no way faster then the next guy...There is so my factors involved...type of car, HP, Tires, Brakes, Driver skills etc... I remember my 3 day course at Bondurant was eye opening on how slow I was driving my vette..wow..The worst thing was I could barely keep up with the instructor and he was driving a Caddy CTS and I was in the Z06.........
Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Data. Lap times. That's why I like time trialing. Officially posted lap times leave less room for BS. Good people WANT to be measured.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't tell you how many times at an open track day, how many people in their "race cars" have come over to my car and looked at the tires on it!
Why.
Because I would outdrive them and they would be on slicks.
My tires.
Just BFG KD G-Forces that I drove to the track on. I would adjust tire pressures and just drive within the limits of the car and tires, consistently on the track.
When it rained, I stayed on the track while they took cover.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The proof is in the pudding. I could come back and spread all the BS I want but anyone can drop a watch on you a few times if you are in the clear or just watch your performance. The crap your here is really funny. I hear they were doing X speed down the straight but I passed them doing 10-15 mph less.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

sorry for posting this up again, but its just so perfect. Here is your guy
http://youtu.be/b7iUKaPlBl8
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trapp
You hear it every event...I keep my mouth shut knowing that I'm in no way faster then the next guy...There is so my factors involved...type of car, HP, Tires, Brakes, Driver skills etc... I remember my 3 day course at Bondurant was eye opening on how slow I was driving my vette..wow..The worst thing was I could barely keep up with the instructor and he was driving a Caddy CTS and I was in the Z06.........
LOL. Spring Mountain did the same to me. Best thing I've done to improve my driving. Can't wait to go back again for Level II.

I keep my mouth shut and if I get the opportunity, get on track behind the "Fast" guys.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
sorry for posting this up again, but its just so perfect. Here is your guy
http://youtu.be/b7iUKaPlBl8
^Classic
Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The older I get the faster I was!

You can out run everything but money!

Jim
Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Comparing myself to the average street driver is like saying I eat cereal better than a 1 year old. I think the average driver pays little attention and has no real idea how drive a car.

With that said, I will be the first to tell you I am slow and the car is far more capable than I am.

I've just started doing this, so I haven't run into many of these conversations yet, but I can easily see them going the way you describe.
Two trips, many more to come, and one thing we REALLY know [ now ] is how much we don't know about going fast. A... in Seat!! .. lots of it needed!!!

What amazes me as how, after the weekends, the drive back was like playing" hand-grenade" l with a troop of psychotic monkeys!!

It really was a truly startling experience. [ the drive back.... ]

TJM
Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I think a lot of people really don't get that driving is an acquired skill. To them, going fast is about who has the fastest car and the biggest *****.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I think a lot of people really don't get that driving is an acquired skill. To them, going fast is about who has the fastest car and the biggest *****.
there is a little truth to that in the end
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A few years back Mike Skeen was my instructor at VIR and took my stock 2006 Miata out in the advanced group and of course passed quite a few of the cars in that session.

Later in the day a driver came up and ask what I had under the hood. I pointed to the passenger seat and said - Mike Skeen :-)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally agree with this statement.

Most of my friends who are still into cars trash talk me because my car is mostly stock. They have that mentality that unless it goes 11's or quicker in the 1/4 mile it's slow. Because they all have been down the drag strip a few times they believe they are somehow expert drivers and could show me a thing or 2 on a road course.

Get notified of new replies

To Talking to people who think they're great drivers

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A skill that needs to be practiced....or rust sets in.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Someone recently posted this video and it seemed appropriate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jzrXwgMSy1Y

At a driving school recently hosted by RMVR (our regional vintage racing organization) I had the opportunity to ride shotgun in my Z06 as Randy Pobst took the wheel. I learned that there's a lot more left in my car before I need to go to Hoosiers

Last edited by bluemagoo; 06-17-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I routinely try to explain how I've been passed by a 3 series bimmer or the like and have also gotten around GT3s. I get blank stares. Really not worth trying to explain anymore. Its too tiring.

Quick Reply: Talking to people who think they're great drivers