Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys use for gas cans at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default What do you guys use for gas cans at the track?

Wondering what you use for gas cans at the track, I hate the generic one I got at Walmart that doesn't vent and takes an eternity to drain 5 gallons. I've seen the square ones that Summit and Jegs sell with 2 handles and wonder if they're any better? Do they get every last drop out and do they pour quicker than my non-vented can from WM (thank you EPA)? I've got 13" on either side of the toolbox and I want to build racks to hold a gas can on either side. The added tongue weight is welcome too. The long 2x4s are chocks and the shorties hold my temporary ghetto shield that keeps the paint intact on the front of my car.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the VP cans- the newer square style is better for storage. They worked great when during Hurricane Sandy when I was filling up the generator's gas tank every 8 hours. They definitely pour quickly- I recommend getting one of those fuel filler funnels along with the cans as it will prevent spillage.

The VP cans are labeled "not for storage of fuel" in order to get around the EPA regs. I hate those new cans, won't use them.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I was initially looking at the $20 jug, any difference between this and the VP cans?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...80211/10002/-1

Do you just use the basic jug with a funnel?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...80205/10002/-1

Or do you use one of these weird tops with a hose sticking off of it?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...80215/10002/-1

Looks like Jegs jugs have the same disclaimer, so that's encouraging. Then I saw this guy.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...80221/10002/-1

5 gallons in 68 seconds, looks like it wouldn't need a funnel either. The $20 jug seems more secure though doesn't it?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Why do you "pour fuel"????????????

Use this......

Amazon Amazon

I put a towel on the back of my car, set the can on the towel, jiggle it and it does its thang.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 02-27-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Man if I could count the times I've had a mouthful of gasoline. . .

Edit:

Last edited by Supercharged111; 02-27-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Holy **** this thing is awesome!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

The VP cans I have come with a plastic "nut" in the cap that you can remove and replace with threaded hose with an integral filter. I have a second, spare hose, but I just swap the cap with the hose attached with the plain caps depending on which can I am using. If it was at a race, I'd have each can equipped with a filler hose. I think those JEGS cans basically do the same thing.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Yeah, this isn't for pitstops but rather for me who doesn't feel the need to take 10 minutes to dump a 5 gallon can. I think I'll do both, 2 Jegs cans and the awesome syphon hose. When I go TT, my need for cans will likely double so I can get the race weight down and keep a more consistent balance with the bass ackwards double tank setup these cars have. I currently start the weekend with a full tank as it doesn't really impede the process of blowing away M3s all that much.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 AM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheap "Walmart" 5 gallon containers can actually work pretty well. The trick is that you should only be using the included nozzle as a cap for storage... When it's time to fill the car, take that junk completely off, stick a big long funnel into the gas tank, and let it flow! Not as elegant as a nice purpose-built setup, but it's cheap, available, and it works. It also works nicely for cars that have spring-loaded valves in their filler, since the funnel keeps that open; shouldn't be an issue for Vettes though.

I did that for 944 race cars for years. Only problem was the risk of sloppiness and spilling fuel during enduros, which carried a time penalty. I've seen a comedy of errors (and penalties) with people using nice Jegs setups too though.

Last edited by Weston; 02-28-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

additive

Jegs 6 gallon cans and a D shaped funnel for pouring.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Why do you "pour fuel"????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTp-X7mcTM

I put a towel on the back of my car, set the can on the towel, jiggle it and it does its thang.
+1 I do exactly the same thing with a jiggle siphon I got from Harbor Freight. I replaced the hose that came with it using a 3/4" incher from home depot. Super fast and works like a charm.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

55 gallon barrel with 15gpm 12v fuel pump. Full of E85. Because its not avalible everywhere!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
The cheap "Walmart" 5 gallon containers can actually work pretty well. The trick is that you should only be using the included nozzle as a cap for storage... When it's time to fill the car, take that junk completely off, stick a big long funnel into the gas tank, and let it flow! Not as elegant as a nice purpose-built setup, but it's cheap, available, and it works. It also works nicely for cars that have spring-loaded valves in their filler, since the funnel keeps that open; shouldn't be an issue for Vettes though.
I do exactly the same things, takes less than one minute to empty a five gallon jug into the tank.

Cheap and effective.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I got this about a month ago from Northern Tool:

Here's a link to it on the Northern Tool site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5161_200325161

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it's gonna work!

But, it's got 14 gallon capacity, and it's supposed to be an easy start siphon with the handle on the spout.

It's listed for $140, but I got a ad in the mail from them about 6 weeks ago that had it for $120, and had a coupon for $20 off for any purchase over $100 - so I got it for $100!!

I'm tired of pouring fuel out of the 5 gallon jugs, so I hope this will work mo betta!!

Bob
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Dang, that thing is impossibly cool. Seems there are quite a few fueling toys out there.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I buy gasoline 30 gallons at a time, I have several containers. Most of them are the horrible type that most places (gas stations, auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.) sell. There is one that's a life saver, it's made by VP Racing and the key component is its cap. Here is a picture of it -

The nozzle slips past the trap door and the flexible hose allows the container to be moved around, ultimately upside down when pouring. Yet, the hose is rigid enough to be shoved past the trap door. I will not use anything else that's gravity fed.

I have only one of this type container and cap, I pour the gasoline from the rest of the container into it before pouring into a fuel tank. A bit of a production but I'm too cheap to spend multiple of $40-50 of these containers.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wah
There is one that's a life saver, it's made by VP Racing and the key component is its cap. Here is a picture of it -

The nozzle slips past the trap door and the flexible hose allows the container to be moved around, ultimately upside down when pouring. Yet, the hose is rigid enough to be shoved past the trap door. I will not use anything else that's gravity fed.
Since I run E85 on track I take my own fuel with me and have 8 of the VP jugs that I bring with me to 2 day events. Their hose system works great!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wah
Since I buy gasoline 30 gallons at a time, I have several containers. Most of them are the horrible type that most places (gas stations, auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.) sell. There is one that's a life saver, it's made by VP Racing and the key component is its cap. Here is a picture of it -

I have only one of this type container and cap, I pour the gasoline from the rest of the container into it before pouring into a fuel tank. A bit of a production but I'm too cheap to spend multiple of $40-50 of these containers.
That's exactly the cap that I was talking about- they're very useful and easy to use. I have a couple of those and a few cans, just screw the cap onto a different can to use the next can.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys use for gas cans at the track?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I got this about a month ago from Northern Tool:

Here's a link to it on the Northern Tool site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5161_200325161

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it's gonna work!

But, it's got 14 gallon capacity, and it's supposed to be an easy start siphon with the handle on the spout.

It's listed for $140, but I got a ad in the mail from them about 6 weeks ago that had it for $120, and had a coupon for $20 off for any purchase over $100 - so I got it for $100!!

I'm tired of pouring fuel out of the 5 gallon jugs, so I hope this will work mo betta!!

Bob
Just don't have that in any truck not titled / registered personally.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Just don't have that in any truck not titled / registered personally.
??? I don't know anything about commercial trucking.

I plan to carry it empty on my trailer, and fill it up when I get to a station somewhere close to the track.

Bob
Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

The thing is CARB legal. If it's CARB legal, it's gotta be everything else legal.

Quick Reply: What do you guys use for gas cans at the track?